PDA

View Full Version : child escaping from cot!!

BRIE
08-Jan-08, 16:31
Im having problems keeping my 20 month old in his cot.
Hes managing to heave put his feet on the side of the bars & catapult himself out!( right little spiderman!:lol:) this is a normal size modern cot.
ive tryed putting him on a babygro so his feet wouldnt be so great to grip but hes still getting out!
has anyone any bright ideas on how to keep him in?

Donnie
08-Jan-08, 16:33
Some string round his ankle?

BRIE
08-Jan-08, 16:35
would i get arrested for that??:lol:

golach
08-Jan-08, 16:37
Dont give him the childline number and you should be ok LOL

changilass
08-Jan-08, 16:39
We had this problem with a foster child, we put him in a greco travel cot and he couldnt escape, thy have taller side mad out of material so nothing to get a grip on. The other thing we did was get him an outfit that was like a sleeping bag with arms in so he couldnt manouver his feet so good, this worked when we put him back in the proper cot. Eventually he stopped trying to escape.

It was very frustrating at the time but now we can laugh about it :lol:

lady penelope
08-Jan-08, 16:39
I've no advice to give you. When one of my son's were young he broke his leg and still managed to climb out of the cot/ over the stairgates / onto the kitchen worktops/ into a filled bath/ anywhere he wanted with a cast up to his hip :eek:

Get rid of cot or take the side down so it's a bit safer is my advice. Boys will climb! :roll:

kriklah
08-Jan-08, 16:42
apart from using a harness to strap him in, or putting bars across the top and turning it into a cage:eek: theres not much eles to be done. once theyve learned this trick, theres no stopping them(just wait till he can get over the stairgates!!!)

usually this is a sign they are ready to move out of the cot to a bed, just remeber to use a safety rail of some kind, take the side bar off the cot if it can be converted to a junior bed.

BRIE
08-Jan-08, 16:44
ive got a high sided travel cot but he managed to escape from that too! baby sleeping bag is a good idea.
I have thought about putting him a bed but wanted to wait till we move in a few months.

johno
08-Jan-08, 16:46
a pair of lead boot,s. problem solved. heh heh [lol]

jinglejangle
08-Jan-08, 16:53
i think best advice is to put in a bed. i have tried the sleeping bag and my little one still got out even with that on!

Ricco
08-Jan-08, 17:03
Ball and chain works very well. ;)

grandma
08-Jan-08, 17:15
How about a bit of ply with concrete blocks across the top of it !! Only joking. Think it's time for the big bed, though. Once they've mastered the great escape there's no holding them back.

mums angels
08-Jan-08, 17:26
My middle child was the same as this he managed to demolish his cot by the time he was 16 months so we put him into a bed as it seemd safer than him breaking a bone trying to get out .

however at present my youngest whos 27 months wont give up his cot for the world, he loves it we can leave the side down etc but he wont attempt to climb out and if i take the cot away he will scream for nights on end so i have given up for now and let him have his cot ...at this rate he might still be in it by the time he goes to school ..LOL :lol:

starry
08-Jan-08, 17:29
One of mine was like this, I just put him in a bed. I used to put a folded up duvet on the floor beside the bed so he had a soft landing if he fell.

Most mornings I would go in and he would be sleeping on the duvet on the floor.

wifie
08-Jan-08, 17:46
I would just put him in a bed. Don't wait until you move because if gets upset about the move at all and you put him in a bed at the same time he could hate the bed too by association.

mums angels
08-Jan-08, 17:51
ive got a high sided travel cot but he managed to escape from that too! baby sleeping bag is a good idea.
I have thought about putting him a bed but wanted to wait till we move in a few months.

i waited until we moved too but don't know if it was a good thing as we put a bed in new room instead of cot and he didn't mind the bed but it was a bother having to perservere with sitting at top of stairs to put him back to bed for the 20th time when all i wanted to do was either unpack bits or sit and relax after months of stress with the moving. it only took a few days for him to learn to stay put but dont think id wantto do itthat way again .

good luck

BRIE
08-Jan-08, 18:17
the problem i have is we havent got enough room to put up another bed in this house.
I will just have to get the other half working day & night until the new house is finished!LOL:lol:

scorrie
08-Jan-08, 18:42
A word of warning:- Don't bother calling Group 4 ;)

Julia
08-Jan-08, 18:57
This may sound a bit weird, but how about putting his cot mattress directly on the floor if you are short of space, he can't climb and he can't fall... you can't contain him anyway so why not take away the cot?

So this is what I've got to look forward to :eek:

justine
08-Jan-08, 19:07
NO that not wierd. thats exactly what i was going to suggest.I in truth have not used a cot with any of mine.They all go onto a mattress on the floor by 6-8 months and then i move the mattress back to the bed with a bed guard..
To be honest and i am knocking anyone parenting but at 20 month they should really be in a bed even if it a junior one...I just wish people would realise that kids are brighter than most people give them credit for and they learn to fast for us to keep up with. After having nine of my own 6 of them being under five i know what it is like to figure out ways to keep them from getting into mishief..
You could also try another way.If you have someone who has an old set of bunks, either the kind that makes two singles or the all in one and chop it down. Using the top bunk with all sidea gaurded in, he should be fine....we did this with the twins put the beds side by side and the bottom bunk was by the wall so it looked like a boxing ring. It worked fine.. GOod luck...

honey
08-Jan-08, 19:33
i put my 15 month old in one of those sleeping bag things for babies. I didnt went he was little, but he always kicks his covers of so i worry about him getting cold.

anyways, the most he can do in that just now is sit up in the cot, he finds it difficult to pull himself up to standing (which he can do if hes not in it) that might help??

WeeBurd
08-Jan-08, 21:02
Where there's a will, there's a way - I used the gro-bags with both of mine, and they both found ways of standing up/climing by the time they hit 16months. :lol: I simply changed the cot into the toddler bed (with pillows on the floor next to it), and they were both fine. Eldest went into a normal bed at 20 months (we needed the cot!), and BabyBurdie - well, she was only in the toddler bed for 3 weeks or so, and she's now happily sleeping in her big girls bed.

Justine's suggestion is perfect if you have no room for another big bed at the mo. As long as he can't escape from his room unaided, then he should be fine on the floor. :)

Torvaig
09-Jan-08, 03:07
Ball and chain works very well. ;)
Talking from experience then Ricco and no, I don't mean are you married! :lol:

BRIE
09-Jan-08, 14:11
thanks for the help everyone. youve all come up with some great ideas.:D

thebigman
09-Jan-08, 18:26
Convince bairn that he's a teenager, that way he'll never get oot o bed :-)

paris
09-Jan-08, 18:59
My eldest , now 28, used to wiggle the bars untill they came out from the slots then climb through the gap., The sleeping bag idea does work, i did that and no more climbing over the top, just demolished the sides instead. jan x

ellimac
09-Jan-08, 23:04
I used a sleeping bag with a zip on it for them to get in and out, my child couldn't open it to get out, hence couldn't climb then....:D

DeHaviLand
09-Jan-08, 23:25
A word of warning:- Don't bother calling Group 4 ;)

More would have got the joke if you had said 'Reliance' ;)

NLP
10-Jan-08, 00:01
My daughter is 2 1/2yrs and still in the cot she likes her cot so much she tries to climb into it(never tries to get out), think we will have trouble with her when we try to take her out of it and into a bed.

lasher
10-Jan-08, 22:23
Do you not know a joiner that could come up with something? :lol:

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-08, 22:27

You're not suggesting the old nail gun/hand/cot trick are you lasher?:lol:

BRIE
11-Jan-08, 12:04

he did offer to adapt the cot with a few extra bits of wood!:lol: