PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Weekly Photo Competition

Shalom
07-Jan-08, 20:44
Please vote for the top winner out of 6 finalists in this competition. I'm a finalist but I'm not going to say which pic is mine.....I am just concerned that what seems to me the WORST photo of the six is so far in the lead......65% of the vote so far........and climbing all the time. It's the photo of the cow....I just wonder if this guy has hundreds of pals voting for him as I can't see why anyone would choose it otherwise?!
What do you think? Is there some merit in this photo that I am missing....or what? I think it breaks one of the cardinal rules i.e. not to have something appearing to grow out of your subject's head!
I voted myself even though I am in it.....I voted for the 2 fledgling birds.......

Can you photographers on the Org please go and vote? I am not asking you to vote for me.......just to judge and choose for yourself and VOTE!
Thanks.

Shalom

Tugmistress
07-Jan-08, 21:13
A link would help? :)

Shalom
07-Jan-08, 21:22
A link would help? :)

Oops! Sorry!!! :eyes I'm a scatterbrain!
Here it is:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2008/01/04/108897/vote-for-your-favourite-fw-reader-photo.html

Sporran
09-Jan-08, 06:50
I had a hard time choosing between the fledgling birds and the bonnie wee lassie holding the cauliflower. In the end, I voted for the photo of the wee lass - far cuter than any cabbage patch doll! :)

floyed
09-Jan-08, 14:46
I voted for the pig also liked the 2 birds one:D

Raven
09-Jan-08, 14:57
I voted for the yellow combine, great farm action shot!

Shalom
09-Jan-08, 16:25
Thanks for voting....I still think there is something funny going on as the cow pic is racing ahead and all the other pics are going down at the SAME rate.....now surely there should be some variation? But we are sinking equally.......oh well, I guess it does not really matter......
Thanks again!

Torvaig
09-Jan-08, 18:23
But isn't the comp. closed? Or have I got it wrong.....:confused

paris
09-Jan-08, 19:43
I saw that " closing date 30 nov " i still voted though, for the heffer. jan x

Torvaig
09-Jan-08, 23:50
Oops, I didn't scroll far enough down; I see we have to vote for a winner from the six category winners and I have now voted for the "pig in a pail"....;)

Mind you, the cow picture is good; close up and personal....

Fran
10-Jan-08, 03:39
I liked the two birds but thought they are not really connected to farming, so i voted for the chicken as i think its a lovely photoe.

Buttercup
10-Jan-08, 15:48
Please vote for the top winner out of 6 finalists in this competition. I'm a finalist but I'm not going to say which pic is mine.....I am just concerned that what seems to me the WORST photo of the six is so far in the lead......65% of the vote so far........and climbing all the time. It's the photo of the cow....I just wonder if this guy has hundreds of pals voting for him as I can't see why anyone would choose it otherwise?!
What do you think? Is there some merit in this photo that I am missing....or what? I think it breaks one of the cardinal rules i.e. not to have something appearing to grow out of your subject's head!
I voted myself even though I am in it.....I voted for the 2 fledgling birds.......

Can you photographers on the Org please go and vote? I am not asking you to vote for me.......just to judge and choose for yourself and VOTE!
Thanks.

Shalom
Sounds very like sour grapes to me. :roll: What on earth have you got against the poor cow? I certainly wouldn't call it the worst photo by a long shot! (I think if you asked someone what the word farm brings to mind, a high percentage would say cows.)

Wellies
10-Jan-08, 19:01
I voted for the stirk thought it was a good composition. I also liked the combine one. Although all the pictures are good.

connieb19
10-Jan-08, 19:10
I liked the one of the coo.

Foxy
10-Jan-08, 20:54
I voted for the photo of the coo, it just says farming to me. :)

Shalom
10-Jan-08, 20:58
Wrong, Buttercup! Not sour grapes at all! I just didn't like the fact that what appeared to me the worst photo was in the lead......and for days, all the rest were sinking at exactly the same rate.......it seemed a bit weird as you would expect some to have got votes. The hen photo had sunk to 1.6 at one point which was a shame as it was so good! It has had some now and is up to 3....
I have nothing against cattle either......just that this shot has a black bit behind the beast's head which spoils it. I think all the rest are better. And the comp IS about good photography, after all.....not what animal we like best.
Actually, some of the runners up were brilliant shots....I don't know why they didn't get top place......
If it were sour grapes, I would not have voted for a rival photo which I was pleased to do as it was a good one! Also, if it were a case of sour grapes, I would have asked you to vote for ME......I didn't! And I did ask for your opinions...I did say I might have missed some merit in that pic.....if you saw some good in it, you could just have told me what that quality was (as Wellies did) instead of biting my head off!

Anyway, thanks to those who voted....whoever you voted for.....even if you voted for the heifer! The more voters, the better.

PS for Fran....you are right, the 2 little birds are not really a farm subject but they category they won was "Nature" so they were fine for that......

Buttercup
11-Jan-08, 01:06
Well Shalom, if you took offence at what I said that's up to you but I was just giving my opinion. It seemed to me that you were complaining that people had voted for the [quote] "WORST photo" and implied that the photographer must've had [quote]"hundreds of pals voting for him as I can't see why anyone would choose it otherwise?!" (Isn't that being rather arrogant?) You made a point of telling us which one you voted for and also that you didn't vote for yourself. You say that your not going to tell us which one is yours but started a thread a few days ago stating that the [quote] " Yellow combine pic is a Caithness shot". Maybe I'm adding 2 + 2 and making 5 but, how did you know that unless you have inside info?
Anyway, I'm no great photographer but I do like to look at photos. If I'm asked to vote I simply vote for the one that I'm attracted to simple as that. I was attracted to the heifer because I love cows, she's cute and is displaying the usual nosy nature you'd expect.

Shalom
11-Jan-08, 18:46
Buttercup. I am not offended with you......truly. But I just wanted to put the record straight as you applied wrong motives to me.

Oops....I just checked and I DID mention what you said in the other thread....I thought people would be interested as this is the Caithness site...but yes, It did look like touting for votes.....so I apologise for that one.

However, I still think the cow pic is poor....having seen lots of much better cow pics....I can't change my opinion. But I realise now that some people will vote in this kind of comp because they like the subject.....not because of the quality of the photo.....so there must be LOTS of people out there who love cows...and not many who like hens.....I think the hen photo is excellent...although I don't care for the subject all that much.....

I love photography and I admit to being highly critical (or arrogant if you like!!) - of my own as well as other people's photos. Yes, the combine is mine and I see the bad points about that too....the combine should be higher in the pic.....but it was a grab shot as I suddenly noticed that the last few grains trickling through made a frame for my son's face......by the time the camera had stored that one, it was too late to take another. I was surprised to win the category.....I had sent in 5 pics and I thought that one was the worst of my lot!

Anyway, no harm done as folks rightly voted for what THEY preferred....

Shalom (not at all offended!)

Buttercup
16-Jan-08, 22:12
Does anyone know when the competition closes? Couldn't see it mentioned, then again, maybe I'm just needing glasses.:lol: