PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe

Tom Cornwall
05-Oct-05, 19:06
Did anyone see the pictures on this evening news, from Zimbabwe?
Does anyone agree with me, that what Robert Magabe has done to his own people, is absolutely criminal? America and the UK were quick enough to jump on Sadam Hussein, so what’s holding them back from doing the same to Magabe?

Naefearjustbeer
05-Oct-05, 19:12
oil

George Brims
05-Oct-05, 19:38
Or more precisely, the lack of oil in Zimbabwe.

Rheghead
05-Oct-05, 20:29
The country is endowed with a wide variety of mineral resources, including gold, platinum and diamonds.

Won't more gold on the world's market mean that present gold resrves will be devalued so oil prices will increase in real terms?

fred
05-Oct-05, 20:42
Does anyone agree with me, that what Robert Magabe has done to his own people, is absolutely criminal? America and the UK were quick enough to jump on Sadam Hussein, so what’s holding them back from doing the same to Magabe?

There isn't a lot we can do, there isn't a lot anyone can do except wait while Mugabe dies and hope his succesor is someone we can deal with.

daviddd
05-Oct-05, 20:48
We could stop sending aid but that would affect the poor people too - people like Mugabe are so difficult to deal with. Probably scores of bodyguards in his pay, to make sure he doesn't get bumped off. [disgust]

Rheghead
05-Oct-05, 20:55

There isn't a lot we can do, there isn't a lot anyone can do except wait while Mugabe dies and hope his succesor is someone we can deal with.

In another thread fred you gave us this quotation

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a rade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Should the international community turn their back on the plight of the Zimbabwean citizens? When Mugabe goes there will be just another Zanu-pf loony to take his place.

The parallels with Nazi Germany and zimbabwe is very striking.

fred
05-Oct-05, 22:21
Should the international community turn their back on the plight of the Zimbabwean citizens? When Mugabe goes there will be just another Zanu-pf loony to take his place.

The parallels with Nazi Germany and zimbabwe is very striking.

Well to deal with Nazi Germany we flattened Berlin and burnt Dresden to the ground along with most of its inhabitants. Were you sugesting we do the same to Zimbabwe?

Apart from anything else Mugabe is probably more popular in Zimbabwe than we are.

But seeing as you like my quotes here's another one for you which is more relevant to the situation.

We must find new lands from which we can easily obtain raw materials and at the same time exploit the cheap slave labor that is available from the natives of the colonies. The colonies would also provide a dumping ground for the surplus goods produced in our factories.

Cecil Rhodes

fred
05-Oct-05, 22:32
The country is endowed with a wide variety of mineral resources, including gold, platinum and diamonds.

Won't more gold on the world's market mean that present gold resrves will be devalued so oil prices will increase in real terms?

No, oil and gold are not linked otherwise we wouldn't have invaded Iraq.

Rheghead
05-Oct-05, 22:42
Your Cecil Rhodes quote isn't applicable to the present situation as Rhodes is dead, we are too PC to wage war on an old colony and the British Empire has all but disappeared.

Well to deal with Nazi Germany we flattened Berlin and burnt Dresden to the ground along with most of its inhabitants. Were you sugesting we do the same to Zimbabwe?

I don't believe a precision guided missile would be indescriminate

Apart from anything else Mugabe is probably more popular in Zimbabwe than we are.

Hitler was very popular in Germany so what's your point?

fred
05-Oct-05, 23:05
Your Cecil Rhodes quote isn't applicable to the present situation as Rhodes is dead, we are too PC to wage war on an old colony and the British Empire has all but disappeared.

Pastor Niemöller is dead too, so is Hitler.

I don't believe a precision guided missile would be indescriminate

So we just start firing guided missiles at anyone we don't like how they run their country, every one could just start firing guided missiles at anyone they don't like how they run their country, everyone would just end up firing missiles at each other.

I think the big difference is that Mugabwe didn't invaded Poland.

Rheghead
05-Oct-05, 23:33

I think the big difference is that Mugabwe didn't invaded Poland.

But he is evicting, beating up and persecuting his own citizens.

Just like Hitlers solutions 1-4, no?

Would Pastor Martin Niemöller have approved of the international community's stance if he had been a Farmer in Zimbabwe?

fred
06-Oct-05, 09:53
But he is evicting, beating up and persecuting his own citizens.

Just like Hitlers solutions 1-4, no?

Would Pastor Martin Niemöller have approved of the international community's stance if he had been a Farmer in Zimbabwe?

The good Pastor wasn't talking about no one doing anything, he was talking about no one saying anything. He was commenting on the way everyone turned a blind eye and pretended it wasn't happening, like people today are turning a blind eye, or trying to justify the unjustifiable, and pretending we arn't locking up innocent people without trial and torturing them, like people today pretend the invasion of Iraq was justified when it is obvious it wasn't. He was commenting on the fact no one stood up and said "this is wrong". His remarks had nothing to do with the international community, he was talking about what Germans did.

Rheghead
06-Oct-05, 12:31
So the context in which you posted his quote in that thread didn't apply then? It was a no brainer.

fred
06-Oct-05, 18:32
So the context in which you posted his quote in that thread didn't apply then? It was a no brainer.

Well no, when I used it I was talking about how America is keeping people chained in cages without legal representation and torturing them yet there hasn't been a huge outcry from the public so when I used it it was in context.

When you used it it was out of context.

tip top
06-Oct-05, 21:18
Zimbabwe is a developing country...they are not doing anything that was not done in Scotland 220 or so years ago.

Leave them alone to catch up!