PDA

View Full Version : Driving School

Katy
07-Jan-08, 15:41
Does anyone know the telephone number for the driving instructor that is doing the week courses in Wick and Thurso, seen it in the paper a few months ago.
Many thanks for your help
Katy

rainbow
07-Jan-08, 18:18
Personnally I object to this method of learning to drive in a week. You should build up expertise over a period of time. Due to the high accident rate in younger drivers the government intends to put in measures whereby everything will be harder to pass, and you must do a set amount of hours driving which will mean it will be virtually impossible to get a full licence before you are 18.

floyed
07-Jan-08, 18:44
Sorry i dont know the number, but i think its a great idea and am planning on looking in to doing it myself:D

webmannie
07-Jan-08, 19:22
I'm planning to take a week off work to do this, excellent idea

Amowat
07-Jan-08, 19:44
A friend of mine tried this and failed his test. He was then told he would have to pay for another course of lessons (about £600) Sounds a bit of a con!

Boozeburglar
07-Jan-08, 19:51
Personnally I object to this method of learning to drive in a week. You should build up expertise over a period of time.

There is plenty evidence that the amount of information learned is equivalent, and at least with the intensive course the student is taken through the whole process by a professional.

The truth is that with weekly lessons most people forget at least a third of what they learn between lessons, and are frequently exposed to improper teaching from non-professionals in the meantime, confusing them further.

I would favour a scheme seen in other countries where learners are only allowed out with professional instructors. I would like to see novice drivers having their vehicle type restricted as well as their ability to carry passengers, and possibly a scheme whereby novice drivers should pass a further test on completion of a probationary period of say a year before such restrictions are lifted.

;)

skinnydog
07-Jan-08, 19:53
Go for it people.
Take the plunge into freedom.
Back in the day I passed my test after 6 driving lessons and have not had as much as a wee prang or a big prang for that matter.
Rainbow, it does not matter how long it takes you to pass your test if you are a NUTTER who drives flat out you will do it after 6 lessons or 60.
Back then a lesson was only £5, yes that long ago. What is the current price for a driving lesson?

Katy
08-Jan-08, 12:25
Thanks for the positive reponses. Just for your info Rainbow it is for my sister in law who has been having lessons down in Edinburgh and she wants to come home to sit her test and since all the other driving instructors are so busy they can't just take people for their test only, so she thought coming home for a week, get some lessons and hopefully pass her test all in one!

It is true, if people want to drive around lek nutters they don't have to have a year worth of driving they wil do it anyway!

If anyone has the number it will be very much appricated

Thanks
Katy x

Venture
08-Jan-08, 12:54
Hi Katy if you telephone the Groat Office Wick 602424 they will be able to look up the advert for you and give you the information.

young
08-Jan-08, 13:50
Thanks for the positive reponses. Just for your info Rainbow it is for my sister in law who has been having lessons down in Edinburgh and she wants to come home to sit her test and since all the other driving instructors are so busy they can't just take people for their test only, so she thought coming home for a week, get some lessons and hopefully pass her test all in one!

It is true, if people want to drive around lek nutters they don't have to have a year worth of driving they wil do it anyway!

If anyone has the number it will be very much appricated

Thanks
Katy x

Can she not take her test in Edinburgh??:confused

nikki
08-Jan-08, 14:53
Originally Posted by rainbow
Personnally I object to this method of learning to drive in a week. You should build up expertise over a period of time.
Quote:Boozeburglar
There is plenty evidence that the amount of information learned is equivalent,

The amount of information learned may or may not be the same, but as rainbow was saying, you need more than a week to build up the experience that you would have if you took normal weekly lessons. just because youve read how roundabouts and motorways work, doesnt mean your going to be able to handle them when you are driving along them.

alanatkie
13-Jan-08, 19:14
The Number for Kwik Pass is 0808 1664 996

northener
13-Jan-08, 19:34
There's a couple of things to be aware of regarding 'intensive' courses.

More than a few people approach these courses with the attitude that all they have to do is turn up for a week and - voila - driving licence.

If you approach it with this attitude, you will definitely fail. Intensive courses do NOT suit everybody.
They can be hard work, bear in mind that if you hit the proverbial 'brick wall' regarding any aspect of your training syllabus, you will not have long to address the problem.

Some Driving Schools advertise 'guaranteed passes'.
Read the small print if you hear those two magic words, you will find that there will be a get out clause stating that if your ADI feels you need more time (for that read 'paid tuition'), but you still go for the test - your ADI will say that you were warned - so the guarantee doesn't stand.

What gap will there be in between your course and your test? Don't think for one minute that you will be guaranteed a test slot at the end of your training period.

Have you passed your theory test? If you haven't - forget it.

The national average for lessons before successfully passing your test is in the mid 40's. The first time pass rate is below 50%.
So how many hours' tuition are you actually getting on your course? I've known people wizz through their test with only a smattering of tuition, but for the majority it needs a good few hours to build up the experience required.

If you go for it, then good luck to you. But, remember what I said. It doesn't suit everyone.

Ignore all the idiots who will drone on about how they passed their test after only x amount of lessons with a bag over their head.
They are all loudmouthed prats who have conveniently forgot just what they were like on their first lessons!

And one last thing -

Listen to your instructor!!! And if you are not happy, get another instructors opinion - NOT your mates or your parents opinion......

northener
13-Jan-08, 19:45

Thanks
Katy x

No driving instructor worth their salt will take a complete stranger for their test. They are assessed on their results and, quite rightly will not jeapordise(?) their professional career just to help a chancer out. If the Instructor hasn't taught them, they won't take them for their test without a good assessment first.

Look at it this way, if a complete stranger phoned you up and asked to hire your car 'just to have an hour or two and take my test, i'm good enough to do it' - would you let them have your car?

They are Driver Standard Agency Approved Driving Instructors - not a bloody car hire firm.

If anyone thinks that they can pass in Wick or Thurso 'because it's easier than a big town' - think again. The standard required is VERY high, regardless of where you are. True, big town experience is a good thing but believe me, the DSA examiners can soon suss out whether you are up to scratch or not.

highlander101
14-Jan-08, 08:46
i think this is a rip off i would go to john mowet for sure!!