PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit help desperately needed...

justine
07-Jan-08, 12:52
Hi i am having a problem with my bunny..Parsley is a magpie and i am not sure if he has damaged his back or whether there is something wrong with him neurologically,:eek: but he keeps falling over on his back legs...He can hop about fine, and run and does not seem to be in pain, but if he tries to change direction he flops over...He struggles to right himself, but then gets up and hops off...Has any else had any similar episodes and may be able to give me some help. I will be taking him to the vet if needed, but i cant find any signs of damage, All his legs look and feel fine, and so does his spine....Could it be something like an ear infection..Please could you help as parsley is my baby..Thanks in advance...

lady penelope
07-Jan-08, 13:38
If I were you Justine, I would just get him to the vet. If you leave him too long it may turn out more expensive if it is an infection.My bunny took a funny turn a while back and it turned out to be a 'blockage'! [consipation] to you and I. I try to feed Poppet fresh grass every day and she has had no further problems but at the time I feared the worst!

Good luck with Parsley :)

justine
07-Jan-08, 13:48
well during the year all my rabbits live outside in an inclosure..They have grass available and luckily i have never had any health problems with them...But i think parsley has always shown signs of a problem.He is nine months old and one of my own litters and i noticed when he was first born that his wobble was off.I will be taking him to the vet but i am just trying to find out whether he can live a normal life if he has a neurological disorder..But i hope it is just an infection, but i would have thought all the rabbits would have some signs of it as they all live closely together...They are all inside at the mo and cant wait for them to go back out for the summer.They love the freedom they have....

unicorn
07-Jan-08, 14:10
justine post this on the warren. I am not much help right now but I am sure someone in the warren will help.

justine
07-Jan-08, 15:36
can you pm me with the details. I cant find it in my bookmarks and cant find the sight,.....Are you ok hun..

pirateeye
07-Jan-08, 15:36
my rabbit did a similar thing and it was to do with his ear. i took him to the vet and he got a painkilling injection and was fine after that. he also wasn't eating properly and got some special food at the same time...and his digestive system got all messed up but i dunno if this bit is to do with the ear thing but thought i'd tell you any way
i hope your bunny will be ok but i'd advise to get him checked out just incase. sooner is always better

unicorn
07-Jan-08, 17:16
is his head tilted at all Justine?

justine
07-Jan-08, 17:21
NO.He is fine in everything. I have been on the net looking up all the things that can cause this and it is either got to be an injury or something to do with his brain....He is eating, all works fine but the left side if he tries to run and change direction. If he goes to clean his back end he falls over, and he seems to prop himself up to sleep..I am sure he is not in any pain and he keeps his head pretty much straight...I am clueless now...

unicorn
07-Jan-08, 17:22
It sounds like a possible stroke justine, so I would see the vet and I am sure that he will need extra help but should be able to go on to live a happy life.

justine
08-Jan-08, 13:49
well went to see the vet this morning and it looks as though parsley has a parasitic infection..He has given him some medicine...With any hope he should be back on all fours for good..Although the vet dose say that it could also be off an injury...we will have to wait and see..I know they can live a full life with these kind of injuries but i have been told that if he looses the use of his legs permanently then we would have to think about putting him to sleep. So please pray that this works as i could not imagine life without him.....

Liz
08-Jan-08, 15:05
I have just sent up a prayer for Parsley and really hope it is an infection and the medicine works.

Keep us posted.

nanoo
08-Jan-08, 16:37
Oh justine, i'm so sorry to read this about Parsley, i do hope he gets better real soon meanwhile i'm sending all the healing light i can in your direction. Keep positive in you thoughts justine and everything will come out okay. Big kiss and a hug to KJ.;) xxxxxxx:roll:

lady penelope
08-Jan-08, 16:47
Oh poor bunny. Hope he is on the road to recovery. Parasites can be very nasty so watch out for your other rabbits. Poppet is sending Parsley happy, healing thoughts ;)

justine
09-Jan-08, 13:19
Oh poor bunny. Hope he is on the road to recovery. Parasites can be very nasty so watch out for your other rabbits. Poppet is sending Parsley happy, healing thoughts ;)

Parsley is isolated in tthe front room.He is now becoming a full blown spoilt house bunny....My other rabbits who were near parsley before this started have no signs..but i will be keeping a very close eye on them...I will keep you all updated with his progress and hopefully he should be back to being him by the end of the week...
He thanks you all for you well wishes and prayers...

maybe poppet would like a date with him when he feeling better...he wishes...

lady penelope
09-Jan-08, 14:13
Poppet would probably love that! She gets soo girny if she doesn't get attention. I think she is probably a bit hormonal sometimes. She would probably bully Parsley, but when he's feeling better it's a date ;)

justine
09-Jan-08, 14:17
maybe if you show her this pic then she might not bully him so much....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/grandma2007/pic0190.jpg

lady penelope
09-Jan-08, 14:30
Aw He's cute! My rabbit just chews wires if she gets out on the floor so he must be pretty well behaved. I don't know how to post photos so he'll just have to imagine what my bunny looks like :D

justine
09-Jan-08, 14:42
Aw He's cute! My rabbit just chews wires if she gets out on the floor so he must be pretty well behaved. I don't know how to post photos so he'll just have to imagine what my bunny looks like :D
No he would chew all wires if we let him, but he is pretty good, he has been well handles from being little. See...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/grandma2007/PARSLEY.jpg

Phoenix200416
09-Jan-08, 20:22
Parsley is a lovely colour! And a very cute rabbit. I do hope he feels better soon.

Both my bunnies send there best wishes!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/DSC00371.jpg
^Lenor chilling out^

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/DSC_0285.jpg
^Comfort at my Aunt's House^

justine
09-Jan-08, 20:59
That has just brightened up my day.Lenor chilling out is fantastic. would love to get mine to do that..As for comfort he could be a relative of parsley...

Love the names by the way.Why them though?????????:)

This is parsleys dad, ZIGGY...His mum star is all black, so where he came from we not sure..

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/grandma2007/Photo0035.jpg

unicorn
10-Jan-08, 01:17
Justine if parsley is suffering a parasitc infection all your bunnies need treated if you pm me your phone number again I will ring you as soon as I can and get it sorted.

Phoenix200416
10-Jan-08, 12:44
Well I was stroking Lenor when he flopped over on his side and so I started rubbing his belly (used to petting dogs!) and he laid like that. He stayed there long enough for me to fetch the camera and find batteries and take the picture. Then he got his belly rubbed for a while then he just got up and bounded away.

I thought Comfort was an unusual colour for a rabbit. I had never seen one like her before. I suppose you would call it tortoiseshell like a cat, maybe? Parsley looks like a mottled grey colour in the picture. Very unusual and it really looks nice. :Razz

I got Comfort first and my Aunt was stroking her and said she felt like she had been washed in Comfort so the name stuck for her. As for Lenor I got him not that long a go. I just thought I would keep the theme and call him Lenor Comfort is a lot fatter than she was in that picture. I've never had a rabbit that eats every scrap of food I give her and would eat more if I let her! Lenor will leave bits of his dry food and scraps of cabbage leave and things like that. :lol:

justine
10-Jan-08, 12:53
Justine if parsley is suffering a parasitc infection all your bunnies need treated if you pm me your phone number again I will ring you as soon as I can and get it sorted.

I am treating him for a parasitic infection but there does not seem to be any improvement with heim really.I dont think it is an infection i think he has a problem that goes deeper than that...will pm my phone number to you...

Phoenix200416
15-Jan-08, 19:16
Hows Parsley getting on? I hope he is getting better?

justine
15-Jan-08, 21:59
he still spinning around.It is not a parasitic infection, they now think it is something totally different which unfortunately cant be fixed..He will have to be my special needs bunny.He will be pampered from now on.. How milo doin....

lady penelope
15-Jan-08, 22:59
That's not so good. Maybe you could keep him as a house rabbit? As long as Parsley isn't in pain and seems happy he could have a good quality of life. :)

justine
15-Jan-08, 23:12
That's not so good. Maybe you could keep him as a house rabbit? As long as Parsley isn't in pain and seems happy he could have a good quality of life. :)

He is already a house bunny. All my rabbits go out into the garden during the summer and then come in in winter.He will be going out during the day in his own run but will spend his nights indoors....I just wish i knew exactly what it is....

Phoenix200416
15-Jan-08, 23:17
he still spinning around.It is not a parasitic infection, they now think it is something totally different which unfortunately cant be fixed..He will have to be my special needs bunny.He will be pampered from now on.. How milo doin....

Awwww...bless him. Thats such a shame, at least he's got someone who will pamper him. :lol:

Milo is ok. I was working on him not going into the kitchen. I managed to make a brew without him trying to come in and with the door open. Before I could get him to stay outside the door with the door closed, or so long as I didn't move around the kitchen. Even then his head would appear. But I got him to lie down and relax away from the door and then he layed outside without really moving with the occasional growl from me when he did try his sneaky belly crawl. Lol.

I brought Milo a rucksack on Ebay so looking forward to getting it home. As you said it will give him a purpose and weigh him down. Bonus.
http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/77/2d/af_1_b.JPG

Phoenix200416
17-Jan-08, 16:02
Heres Milo modelling his new backpack. :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/CRIM0302.jpg

justine
17-Jan-08, 16:21
Heres Milo modelling his new backpack. :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/phoenix200416/CRIM0302.jpg

Perfect. I got bingos today so will get a pic of him sporting his.They gonna look smart whent hey get together again......

Ricco
17-Jan-08, 16:28
is his head tilted at all Justine?

I know where you are thinking on that one, Unicorn. There is a parasite called Encephalitozoon cuniculi that attacks the nervous system. Our rabbit caught it five times and we couldn't cure him last time so I had to have him put down. Hope you manage to clear yours up, Justine.

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 16:33
Head tilt is most often caused by mites deep in the ear canal and most breeders treat it successfully with a couple of treatments of ivomec pour on, the problem being though as it is not actually liscensed for use on rabbits getting a hold of it can be very difficult. This treatment works successfully all over the country within the breeding circles.

justine
17-Jan-08, 16:38
Head tilt is most often caused by mites deep in the ear canal and most breeders treat it successfully with a couple of treatments of ivomec pour on, the problem being though as it is not actually liscensed for use on rabbits getting a hold of it can be very difficult. This treatment works successfully all over the country within the breeding circles.

We had that fromt he vet.He had his full trestment and no improvement. The vet says its not epilepsy as he does not pass out, they think it may be an injury or stroke..He is quite happy.we have put a cat bed in his cage and he can now finally sleep without falling over. If i ever thopught he was distressed or it was affecting him badly i would not hesitate to end the suffering, but i will keep going with him as long as he is comfy..He going in the show in april as a pet so he might even get a little rosette for being a special needs bunny...cant wait...