PDA

View Full Version : Antiques Roadshow - Castle Of Mey

brokencross
06-Jan-08, 11:02
BBC1 tonight at 2000, the Antiques Roadshow is from the Castle Of Mey. Neither my TV paper nor t'internet says it is a repeat so could be worth a watch to see if you recognise any of the local worthies pricing up the family silver or jewels.

TRUCKER
06-Jan-08, 11:17
it is the programme the recorded last year it was a day of heavy rain.

auldalto
06-Jan-08, 17:55
It's definitely not a repeat and should be a good laugh. It was the wettest day all year but still about 900 people showed up with their treasures. They also recorded quite a bit of inside the castle but whether they show it or not remains to be seen!

canuck
06-Jan-08, 20:35
I've got the television on and am getting the popcorn ready.

peedie
06-Jan-08, 22:27
tourist board will be going the height of themselves after that.... didnt sell caithness. could hear the rain clearly at all times during the show... [lol] mr aspel mentioned at the end the horizontal rain..... is there any other kind!! very interesting tho! loving the caithness accent on tv!

Sporran
06-Jan-08, 22:59
BBC1 tonight at 2000, the Antiques Roadshow is from the Castle Of Mey. Neither my TV paper nor t'internet says it is a repeat so could be worth a watch to see if you recognise any of the local worthies pricing up the family silver or jewels.

Ooh, I'd love to see that!! I hope it eventually makes its way over here on BBC America! :cool:

canuck
06-Jan-08, 23:05
Sporran, it was wonderful. And the Caithness accents were great.

the charlatans
06-Jan-08, 23:05
Well that was my 0.5 seconds of fame! Autographs on request.
Not that many local accents but some interesting pieces on show.
It was a rotten day and weekend so i'm surprised they had even one shot of the castle in the sunshine. But at the start of the programme there was a thunder noise and that had to be sound effects - as a local to Mey there was no thunder at all that day, what tosh.

Anyhoo, I had a good day then and I enjoyed watching it.

Andrew C
06-Jan-08, 23:10
Sporran, it was wonderful. And the Caithness accents were great.

I loved the fella with the Orkney accent....thats one great accent lol

Anne x
07-Jan-08, 01:50
I enjoyed it although quite a few of the people I expected to see were edited out probably rightly so not Interesting enough for general BBC viewing
A Bonny Caithness Day at least the grass was lovely and green

brokencross
07-Jan-08, 08:20
Sporran (& anyone else interested)
Hopefully this link will let you watch it on the BBCi Player (got to watch it within 6 days though)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pbb9.shtml?filter=txdate%3A06-01&filter=txslot%3Aevening&scope=iplayerlast7days&start=2&version_pid=b008pbb1

The BBCi Player is handy for loads of other BBC progs.

TBH
07-Jan-08, 11:57
tourist board will be going the height of themselves after that.... didnt sell caithness. could hear the rain clearly at all times during the show... [lol] mr aspel mentioned at the end the horizontal rain..... is there any other kind!! very interesting tho! loving the caithness accent on tv!The majority of the accents were plummy english with an orcadian thrown in for good measure.:roll:

peedie
07-Jan-08, 12:09
there were a few locals! and an orcadian. thrown in for good measure!;)

TBH
07-Jan-08, 12:13
there were a few locals! and an orcadian. thrown in for good measure!;)
They had to throw a few crumbs to the locals.;)

davem
07-Jan-08, 12:59
I may be wrong but I thought they chose on the basis of the things people brought. I think programming on the basis of accent could be missing the point a bit for an antiques show.

badger
07-Jan-08, 13:11
davem is right - they choose the articles, not the people. Get that chip off your shoulder TBH - why does the most innocent post have to produce some unpleasant comment about supposedly non-locals? Suppose you were born in Scotland from an ancient Scottish family which then moved to England so you grew up with an English accent. If you return here to live, are you to be despised for speaking good English? Or would you prefer a phony Scots accent just to be accepted? I don't know anyone who fits these circumstances but am sure there plenty. What does it take to be local?

Lovely programme - pity about the rain.

TBH
07-Jan-08, 13:50
I may be wrong but I thought they chose on the basis of the things people brought. I think programming on the basis of accent could be missing the point a bit for an antiques show.Maybe they couldn't be bothered using subtitles.

golach
07-Jan-08, 14:55
I may be wrong but I thought they chose on the basis of the things people brought. I think programming on the basis of accent could be missing the point a bit for an antiques show.
I'm with you, it was a show about antiques, not a show about Caithnness accents, I thought the antiques were good, and from the amount of spectators on show I think so did a lot of Caithnessians.

davem
07-Jan-08, 16:05
Lady Thurso and Catherine MacLeod might not have broad accents but I'd say they count as locals. For a few generations at least.....

Sporran
07-Jan-08, 18:16
Sporran (& anyone else interested)
Hopefully this link will let you watch it on the BBCi Player (got to watch it within 6 days though)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pbb9.shtml?filter=txdate%3A06-01&filter=txslot%3Aevening&scope=iplayerlast7days&start=2&version_pid=b008pbb1 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pbb9.shtml?filter=txdate%3A06-01&filter=txslot%3Aevening&scope=iplayerlast7days&start=2&version_pid=b008pbb1)

The BBCi Player is handy for loads of other BBC progs.

Many thanks for that link, Brokencross, and to Percy Toboggan as well, who also suggested I try BBC iPlayer. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see the programme, as when I clicked on the link, I got a message saying that only internet users in the UK can view programmes on BBC iPlayer. :( (They use Geo-IP technology, and were able to detect from my ISP that I am not in the UK.) However, the good news is that BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, so at least there is light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Best Wishes,

Sporran

Torvaig
07-Jan-08, 18:29
Ye gawds, talk about having an inferiority complex! Or is this a case of inverted snobbery.......?

As others have said, the Antiques Roadshow is about antiques not personalities. If a programme came from Yorkshire would you expect everyone taking part to have a Yorkshire accent? This is exactly the sort of attitude that makes a fool of locals who have a chip on their shoulder....

I thought the show very good with some interesting items that we would never have had the chance to see otherwise, just as always. And a big thank you to those who did take part whether they were local or not. As was said before, there were plenty locals although they did not all have a Caithness accent. So what, I bet a lot of people who complain don't have a strong dialect themselves. Let's face it, the dialect is becoming watered down anyway due to the fact that we are much more cosmopolitan nowadays for one reason or another and a good thing too. Imagine going to work at a job in London, Glasgow or such like and speaking with a really broad Caithness accent; you would not be understood.

It is only polite to make yourself understood as many of us have to do in many situations just as others from other places with strong accents have to do as well. I know that I can't always understand someone talking with a strong Aberdeenshire accent so I am grateful when they moderate it just as I do for them.

floyed
07-Jan-08, 18:30
I watched the end of the programme, its not something i would normally watch i thought it was ok.

hotrod4
07-Jan-08, 19:36
Is this topic open for bereating the anglo saxons or for talking aboot boot sale stuff ;)
Have to agree that it didnt represent much caithnessians but it was a program about antiques and not accents,though it was a shame that there wasnt more locals. Was hoping to see Iain Sutherland there with some antiquity in his broadest weeker twang that even confuses the "north tonight" presenters but alas it wasnt to be!!!!!!!!
Maybe Mr Aspel will come back next year so he can headbang to the pipers hot riffs ;) (His expression was priceless)

TBH
07-Jan-08, 21:11
Ye gawds, talk about having an inferiority complex! Or is this a case of inverted snobbery.......?

As others have said, the Antiques Roadshow is about antiques not personalities. If a programme came from Yorkshire would you expect everyone taking part to have a Yorkshire accent? This is exactly the sort of attitude that makes a fool of locals who have a chip on their shoulder....

I thought the show very good with some interesting items that we would never have had the chance to see otherwise, just as always. And a big thank you to those who did take part whether they were local or not. As was said before, there were plenty locals although they did not all have a Caithness accent. So what, I bet a lot of people who complain don't have a strong dialect themselves. Let's face it, the dialect is becoming watered down anyway due to the fact that we are much more cosmopolitan nowadays for one reason or another and a good thing too. Imagine going to work at a job in London, Glasgow or such like and speaking with a really broad Caithness accent; you would not be understood.

It is only polite to make yourself understood as many of us have to do in many situations just as others from other places with strong accents have to do as well. I know that I can't always understand someone talking with a strong Aberdeenshire accent so I am grateful when they moderate it just as I do for them.No Caithnessian will ever feel inferior or superior to anybody else, why should we. I think the bbc featured the english to appease their viewers in england.
Why is it a good thing that our accents are being watered down? I happen to be fiercely proud of my caithness accent and my scottish heritage as a whole.
If I did happen to go to glasgow or london do I get an interpreter to help me understand what they are saying, maybe we should get subtitles on eastenders and river city.:lol:

Moira
07-Jan-08, 23:51
Apart from anything else, this thread has gone completely off-topic. I am locking the thread and removing unrelated posts to the Mods forum for discussion. The thread will then be re-opened.

sweetpea
08-Jan-08, 00:53
You don't switch on the telly snd expect to hear Caithness accents, do you?

Boozeburglar
08-Jan-08, 00:57
I might reasonably do so were the programme broadcast from Caithness...

Tilter
08-Jan-08, 01:05
I'd be faking my accent and borrowing a wig and false beard if I'd brought along a dead dog. OK folks, that's a joke before you start - the antique dogskin buoy was a technological stroke of genius. I bet only a Caithnessian could have thought that one up.

Moira
08-Jan-08, 01:06
You don't switch on the telly snd expect to hear Caithness accents, do you?

If your question is directed at me Sweetpea, then I would answer that I absolutely would expect to hear Caithness accents on an Antiques Roadshow broadcast from the Castle of Mey. :)

sweetpea
08-Jan-08, 01:10
If your question is directed at me Sweetpea, then I would answer that I absolutely would expect to hear Caithness accents on an Antiques Roadshow broadcast from the Castle of Mey. :)

Touchy, wasn't directed at you at all. Personally I don't give a toss. Why have it at Mey if there is so much anti-out of caithness predujice?

Moira
08-Jan-08, 01:17
I'd be faking my accent and borrowing a wig and false beard if I'd brought along a dead dog. OK folks, that's a joke before you start - the antique dogskin buoy was a technological stroke of genius. I bet only a Caithnessian could have thought that one up.

I'd never heard of such a thing before, despite someone very close to me <ahem> having worked in the fishing industry for quite a few years now. I was really disappointed that they refused to put a value on it though :D

Torvaig
08-Jan-08, 01:24
Must admit that as a dog owner, I found it a bit gruesome! I'm glad they have stopped the practice! :lol:

Moira
08-Jan-08, 01:32
Touchy, wasn't directed at you at all. Personally I don't give a toss. Why have it at Mey if there is so much anti-out of caithness predujice?

No, Sweetpea - not touchy at all, I can assure you. Your post was directly below mine and my question was genuine, because I was not at all sure what you meant.

I really don't know where you are coming from with your latest post either, to be honest. This was an Antiques Roadshow from Caithness - why should it not be filmed at the Castle of Mey?

Fran
08-Jan-08, 01:56
The programme is being repeated on television next week.

Moira
08-Jan-08, 01:57
Must admit that as a dog owner, I found it a bit gruesome! I'm glad they have stopped the practice! :lol:

I agree Torvaig - as a dog slave, I found it unbelievable. Going by our Avatars I think I would be "quids in". I am joking, of course, before everyone on the Pets Forum beats me to a pulp. I know my place in life.....:D

mareng
08-Jan-08, 08:48

If I might offer up the following analogy as a reason why you all really watched the program:

Viewers in the central belt got caught up in Taggart and Rebus -not because it was a stunning storyline or fantastic acting............... it was because they sat in front of their TV saying: "Look, there's Central Station, Trongate, Saracens Head, Salamander Street :eek:, Royal Mile, etc" They liked the local "connection".

Ultimately it was "Antiques Roadshow" about antiques, a fact that perhaps didn't escape the producers who were charged with making a program for the rest of Scotland (and UK) to watch and enjoy.......... for the antiques - not strange (to them) accents.

Go on......... hands up - all those that don't normally watch Antiques Roadshow, but did because of it's location this time?

badger
08-Jan-08, 11:50
No, Sweetpea - not touchy at all, I can assure you. Your post was directly below mine and my question was genuine, because I was not at all sure what you meant.

I really don't know where you are coming from with your latest post either, to be honest. This was an Antiques Roadshow from Caithness - why should it not be filmed at the Castle of Mey?

That's one of the funny things about all this. If it hadn't been for someone from England with a "plummy accent" and a fair bit of money the Castle would have been a ruin long since. Admittedly she was a Scot but you wouldn't have known that to hear her speak.

Torvaig
08-Jan-08, 13:03
If I might offer up the following analogy as a reason why you all really watched the program:

Viewers in the central belt got caught up in Taggart and Rebus -not because it was a stunning storyline or fantastic acting............... it was because they sat in front of their TV saying: "Look, there's Central Station, Trongate, Saracens Head, Salamander Street :eek:, Royal Mile, etc" They liked the local "connection".

Ultimately it was "Antiques Roadshow" about antiques, a fact that perhaps didn't escape the producers who were charged with making a program for the rest of Scotland (and UK) to watch and enjoy.......... for the antiques - not strange (to them) accents.

Go on......... hands up - all those that don't normally watch Antiques Roadshow, but did because of it's location this time?

I have no doubt you are right Mareng; but maybe we have some converts who will watch the programme every week from now on!:)

For myself, I always enjoy the Roadshow, whether local or otherwise and it is always interesting to get a bit of the history of the places where it is being held.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Jan-08, 12:41
for those of you INTERESTED in ANTIQUES>..... then there is a big sale - the first of two - at Dingwall Mart tomorrow at 11 am all from the one collection.

www.dingwallmart.co.uk will get you the catalogue and some pictures....there's a very old (about 400 years) map of Caithness....there's also a picture of it on the website....looks to be a busy day!!

Torvaig
17-Jan-08, 15:44
Wow, that looks interesting; nearly 600 items; thanks for letting us know K.O.T. Think it could last a few hours.....!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Jan-08, 16:03
yeah , there have been a lot of people registering for it today and leaving bids so looks like a big day, everyone is very excited as it has come from a single house in Lossiemouth , really interesting old map of caithness did you see the picture of it ?

I will be there working anyway so come and say hi if you are there!!

Torvaig
17-Jan-08, 17:10
yeah , there have been a lot of people registering for it today and leaving bids so looks like a big day, everyone is very excited as it has come from a single house in Lossiemouth , really interesting old map of caithness did you see the picture of it ?

I will be there working anyway so come and say hi if you are there!!

Yes, saw the old map; be interesting to see it up close. I see on another old map that the Moray Firth used to be spelt Murray. This reminds me of one I had myself which showed some of the old spellings of places in Caithness which made me chuckle. Some of the explanations of names as they are today are rather "off the mark".

Looks like prices will be high......and how do I find you; get the auctioneer to page for "KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN"..... ;)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Jan-08, 17:45
well i'll be working in the office......there are only two caithness quines at dingwall mart and i have the longer hair....will be tied back!!!

http://www.dingwallmart.co.uk/catalogues_etc/mairianne.jpg