PDA

View Full Version : Laurie/Lawrie/Sutherland

damo59
06-Jan-08, 01:25
I have just started tracing the family through the Sutherland side all of whom seem to originate around Stemster, Bower. James Sutherland married Margaret Laurie from Olrig parish 2nd Feb1849. Family seems to have lived at Bower where James was a blacksmith, his son Thomas seems to have carried on the profession.There is also another son Gilbert, did he emigrate to Canada?
I remember visiting family at Watten? when I was a child in the early 1950s. There was Maggie and I think a son,Tommy. we also visited Etta who lived in Wick and had married a Hendry who had the butchers shop down at the harbour in Wick.
There is a family story that an ancestor, possible about three generations back, came from Norway lived in either Caithness or Sutherland and took the name Sutherland. The Laurie in the family name is thought to be a shortening of Laurencson ? I cannot find a link and now wonder if this is just a family tale.

The Morrison side of the family comes from Kilmarnock as Margaret Laurie Sutherland married David Morrison at the united free church, Bower on 5th Sept 1913. The minister was Alex L Skiner? ( surname is unclear).

Any help in tracing the Sutherland side back or the Norwegian connection
would be appreciated

DAMO

lindadorren
07-Jan-08, 18:05
Have a fair bit of info on this family. Have sent you a private message and look forward to hearing from you.

Linda

lindadorren
07-Jan-08, 21:08
I've had a further look at my info and can fill you in on the family of Margaret Laurie Sutherland, who ended up in Edinburgh. My mum who died recently used to tell a story about going to the restaurant at the Playhouse in Edinburgh with Hannah Morrison and having sardines on toast(quite a delicacy during the war)!:lol:

PM me for more info.

Linda