PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning

paris
05-Jan-08, 16:45
I know a while back i was asking for tips on cleaning the house without supermarket products , but has any of you found labour saving ways or your own little mixtures for cleaning up. Spring wont be to far away now so thought it a good idea to ask for tips .
Whats yours ?? And DONT say the other half lads please lol jan x

Lavenderblue2
05-Jan-08, 17:27
If you make a paste of bicarb and vinegar it's great for cleaning the bath, shower, taps etc..

You can clean just about anything with vinegar - there is a helpful book called 'Vinegar 1001 Practical Uses' which you can buy for as little as 1p + P&P from Amazon.

Hope this is a help to you Jan - happy cleaning. :)

LB

starry
05-Jan-08, 17:36
Or this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleaning-Bible-Complete-Household-Management/dp/0718149068

laguna2
05-Jan-08, 17:47
Has anyone any tips for cleaning the inside of a microwave? I bought stuff called "Rescue" then discovered that it couldn't be used on stainless steel - guess what the inside of the oven is made of?? It is one of these microwave/grill/fan ovens.

Margaret M.
05-Jan-08, 17:57
Borax is good for all kinds of stuff from laundry to getting rid of fleas but it tackles tea stains unlike anything else. Works great on stained cups, mugs, and teapots -- no elbow grease needed.

paris
05-Jan-08, 18:07
Has anyone any tips for cleaning the inside of a microwave? I bought stuff called "Rescue" then discovered that it couldn't be used on stainless steel - guess what the inside of the oven is made of?? It is one of these microwave/grill/fan ovens.
Now i know this one LOL Get your dish cloth quite wet and put it inside the microwave, turn on for about 2 Min's, be careful as the cloth will be very hot. Anyway the steam from the wet cloth loosens all the stuck on bits and its really easy to wipe clean . jan x

Thumper
05-Jan-08, 18:10
I put a bowl of water in the micro and blast it for a few minutes ,then leave it standing a few another few minutes...the steam loosens any grime and it should just wipe off then x

paris
05-Jan-08, 18:14
[quote=Thumper;318825]I put a bowl of water in the micro and blast it for a few minutes ,then leave it standing a few another few minutes...the steam loosens any grime and it should just wipe off then x[/quote
Great minds think alike Thumper ! jan x:lol:

orkneylass
05-Jan-08, 18:43
I heard it works even better if you put a slice of lemon into the bowl of water.

Angela
05-Jan-08, 18:47
I heard it works even better if you put a slice of lemon into the bowl of water.

A tip I got here on the Org some time ago -squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the water - it really does work and leaves a pleasant fresh lemony smell. :)

EDDIE
05-Jan-08, 20:01

I have a stainless microwave i just use soapy water and kitchen towell to clean it but my tip is not to get it dirty in the first place i use microwave containers and covers so there is no mess i bought a microwave plastic pan and lid out of lakelands for only £3 and boy its handy for doing microwaveing tinned food with no mess.

laguna2
05-Jan-08, 20:45
Thanks folks. Unfortunately I have not been too good at wiping it round when I have used it :o so it is pretty bad, but I will try your tips. Thanks again.

ashaw1
05-Jan-08, 22:36
When i moved into my new house over 6 months ago i asked my mum to buy me the How Clean Is your House book by Kim and Aggie. It's full of natural cleaning options but unfortunately if i wanted to read it now i would have to start with the layer of dust accumulated on the top.

marlyn
06-Jan-08, 12:03
When i moved into my new house over 6 months ago i asked my mum to buy me the How Clean Is your House book by Kim and Aggie. It's full of natural cleaning options but unfortunately if i wanted to read it now i would have to start with the layer of dust accumulated on the top.

Ha ha ha - sounds like me too!!!