PDA

View Full Version : fuel again

sphinx
05-Jan-08, 01:12
herd on the news today were looking at another price rise on fuel and as usual it will be us in the north that will bear the brunt of this out come as we do car fuel going up as well as heating and electricity
will our wages go up or cold weather payments for the elderly to compensate...... :~(

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 01:17
Nah, no need for any of that! Just cut down on the ciggies, alcohol, all our electronic gadgets, fast foods, soft drinks, wasting electricity, heating on too high etc., etc. We now have to go back to wearing more clothes to keep ourselves warm instead of basking in t-shirts indoors and switching off lights, closing doors and windows and all these old fashioned ideas. Even walking instead of using our cars on many more occasions, in fact sell the car!

As if........:lol:

sphinx
05-Jan-08, 01:19
yeh and what year is this again!!!!!!!!!! stone age...... i bet none of the fat cats are cutting back ............. just us mere mortals!!!!!!!

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 01:23
yeh and what year is this again!!!!!!!!!! stone age...... i bet none of the fat cats are cutting back ............. just us mere mortals!!!!!!!

No, not the stone age; believe it or not a lot of people live just like that...:eek:

sphinx
05-Jan-08, 01:28
yes i agree with your saying but its the elderly that are always suffering:(

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 01:32
yes i agree with your saying but its the elderly that are always suffering:(

Yes, some of them and I do wish that more provision was made for those who do not have a lot of savings or income so that they could at least enjoy a decent standard of comfort. Not everyone has offspring who can look after them and buy coal, pay bills etc.

The government have forgotten that it is because of a lot of these older people that we are better off now and I would like to see them being looked after in their twilight years.

miranda
05-Jan-08, 01:41
yeh if only we had the annual wage of an MP we would then be able to look after our own eh!!!!!!

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 01:43
yeh if only we had the annual wage of an MP we would then be able to look after our own eh!!!!!!

You offering to stand for Parliament Miranda; I'll vote for you.....;)

miranda
05-Jan-08, 01:46
:)lol im a care worker ..look after eh oldies all day!!!!!!!

superted
05-Jan-08, 10:05
You offering to stand for Parliament Miranda; I'll vote for you.....;)

And an expense account!!!!

badger
05-Jan-08, 11:50
It was crazy to privatise utilities and transport, then even more crazy to allow them to be bought up by overseas companies. npower isn't British any more so why would they care? Think there was some talk of gas being sold off to Russia a while ago - can you imagine if that had happened? It means any foreign country can hold us to ransom and there's nothing we can do about it.

High time the pensioners' fuel allowance was increased (at least by as much as MPs are demanding for their salaries) but even if it is it won't do any good for this winter and the price rise is from today.

Have a confession to make - every year we get the princely sum of £10 from the Chancellor as a Christmas present. I squandered mine on an electronic Sudoku and I don't care - wouldn't make much dent in the fuel bill anyway. My house thermostat is set well below what most people would consider acceptable (just under 15), I turn lights off like mad, tv never on standby, kettle filled to minimum and switched off the second it boils etc. etc. It's not enough, it's never enough.

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 11:59
Badger, I think that is a gross waste of your £10 bonus! It's just as I thought; money squandered on unnecessary items. You could have bought a vacuum flask for saving any surplus water boiled for your tea or some wool to knit yourself a scarf to keep warm!:)

P.S. I bought myself a Rubik's Cube; always wanted one and I thought it was time I had a treat! ;)
P.P.S. My thermostat is mostly at 17; I'll have to start wearing an extra jumper.....
P.P.P.S. I just heat a cup of water in the microwave; no doubt someone will let me know if that uses more electricity than boiling a wee drop in a kettle.....

Skerries
05-Jan-08, 12:33
herd on the news today were looking at another price rise on fuel and as usual it will be us in the north that will bear the brunt of this out come as we do car fuel going up as well as heating and electricity
will our wages go up or cold weather payments for the elderly to compensate...... :~(

I also saw the news about the rise in the price of oil but the energy boffins said there was no need for the price rise to filter down to customers at the petrol pumps for two to three months. So that should be some comfort at least...

Although I expect it will be the only thing that reaches customers in Caithness direct from the New York stock exchange in under 24 hours! :confused

Pensioners also don't get any help with that kind of fuel cost.

sphinx
05-Jan-08, 19:50
i agree totaly mate