PDA

View Full Version : Gems TV

nanoo
04-Jan-08, 16:07
Hello girls(and boys if you want) Have any of you folks been watching Gems Tv recently? In between programmes, i have a habit of surfing the channels(SKY)so to speak and yes, i check out the shopping channels as i go along. Now, i happened to stop on Gems TV(channel 646)one night at the beginning of December and they had started their end of year sale,: Quote, Everything must go to make room for our 2008 stock coming in, early January.) Have you ever known such a long sale, especially on a tv shopping channel? it's still on ladies and i kid you not when i say their jewellery is selling at silly prices. Today at lunch time i had a quick look and a pendant of gold sapphire and white topaze on a 9ct gold chain priced at 765 pounds went for 29 pounds. A ring of 9ct gold with amythest and diamonds was 1029 pounds and went for 59 pounds. Now this channel has been going for years now and i assume they are legit, but as they keep saying, they cut out the middle men to bring cheaper prices to you. It makes you wonder just the sort of mark up a jeweller has on their goods in the normal high st shops. I've never purchased from them but i can assure you all, i'm being sorely tempted. What do you think?:roll:

paris
04-Jan-08, 16:15
I have a friend who always buys things from the tv channels and you ought to see the bargains she gets, i couldnt believe it !:eek: jan x

Metalattakk
04-Jan-08, 16:18
A ring of 9ct gold with amythest and diamonds was 1029 pounds and went for 59 pounds. Now this channel has been going for years now and i assume they are legit, but as they keep saying, they cut out the middle men to bring cheaper prices to you.

No they don't. They are able to offer items at cheap prices because the items are made on the cheap. They are only in business because people fall for their advertising spin.

You get what you pay for, and while they say it is worth £1,000, it's only worth the £60 you paid for it. No more, no less. Besides, why would any reputable businessman sell something that far short of it's real valuation?

It's nothing more than TV's equivalent of The Barra's.

Thumper
04-Jan-08, 16:31
I have bought from them before and was more than happy with my items....not worth the starting price, but they are worth usually a bit more than you pay for them....the quality is good too x

nanoo
04-Jan-08, 16:41
I have bought from them before and was more than happy with my items....not worth the starting price, but they are worth usually a bit more than you pay for them....the quality is good too x
Thanks for that thumper, i know sometimes they show letters from customers that have taken their advise after buying a piece of jewellery and have it independently valued, one i remember was a sapphire and diamond ring a gentleman bought for his wife and he paid 449 pounds for it, the jeweller he took it to valued the ring at 1.050 pounds. Not that i would or could spend that amount but it would be nice Thumper to get something at a a sale time.:roll: Thanks again for the info.;)

scorrie
04-Jan-08, 16:49
The starting price of the items on Gems TV is NOT indicative of value in any way, shape or form. From time to time, presenters will announce this fact.

My wife watches this channel from time to time and I often have to feign interest ;), but we have never purchased from them. I think they have been around long enough to be considered reliable and I suspect that their "secret" of low pricing, like many other companies, is workers in far off lands being paid an utter pittance for their efforts.

nanoo
04-Jan-08, 16:51
I have a friend who always buys things from the tv channels and you ought to see the bargains she gets, i couldnt believe it !:eek: jan x
Yes jan, i've bought from QVC, Ideal World, Bid up tv and drop bid and have never been disappointed with anything from them. It's just that i've never bought jewellery from a shopping channel and thats what i wondered about.;)

DIH
04-Jan-08, 20:08
I've bought several items from gems TV and have been delighted with the quality. I'm waiting patiently at the moment for two items to arrive which I bought in their sale. Long may it continue lol.

whitewitch
04-Jan-08, 22:00
i thought that with the jewellery, you had the guarantee that if you got it valued for any less on what the said it was worth you got a refund??