PDA

View Full Version : January Blues

starry
04-Jan-08, 15:42
Well they have hit like a big sledgehammer today thanks to my bank statement.

Money saving tips needed please :~(

Torvaig
04-Jan-08, 15:46
Try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ where you use the site or buy the book!:)

paris
04-Jan-08, 15:57
Know how you feel starry, just had to get 6 months car tax, that was £99 now got to go shopping to replace all the things eaten at xmas /new year. Oh and pay the sky for the month £25 . Then grandsons back at school monday and will need dinner money, swimming money AND new shoes. The list goes on ! jan x:(

angela5
04-Jan-08, 16:00
Isn't the phone bills due out soon!:~(

Sandra_B
04-Jan-08, 16:01
We had a horrendous heating bill at the beginning of December and I'm dreading the next one now. It wouldn't be so bad but the weather hasn't been that cold yet. We're looking for money-saving tips too...

paris
04-Jan-08, 16:03
Oh great ! Thanks :( jan x

Ash
04-Jan-08, 16:10

got mine today!!! aaarrrgh :(

sphinx
04-Jan-08, 16:24
aaahhhh!!!! the month for bill,s:eek:

Thumper
04-Jan-08, 16:28
my phone bill arrived on saturday the 29th December and it said it had to be paid by the 30th Dec or incurr charges....complained to BT and they said......pay it by DD then you wont have a problem [disgust] great customer relations eh? x

starry
04-Jan-08, 16:29
I am going to try live on what is in the kitchen and put of a big shop for as long as I can.
This may not work as I am a crap cook :confused

I have switched to rollies which will save a lot and hopefully stop me smoking as much.
I am going to leave the car as much as I can, this is a bit of a as I do need it for the shops.
I am going to try my hardest to fill up at the cheapest garages, this is also a bit difficult as I am going to have to travel a fair bit to get to them :confusedx100!

Anymore ideas orgers ?

Dadie
04-Jan-08, 16:57
im going to take sandwiches to work and leave my purse at home to save pennies!

Stargazer
04-Jan-08, 17:00
"I am going to try my hardest to fill up at the cheapest garages, this is also a bit difficult as I am going to have to travel a fair bit to get to them :confusedx100!"

At £5 per gallon petrol costs about 1p per 100yards so don't drive out of your way to fill up. I put in just enough to get by then fill up in Wick at my next visit.

footie chick
04-Jan-08, 17:16
my phone bill arrived on saturday the 29th December and it said it had to be paid by the 30th Dec or incurr charges....complained to BT and they said......pay it by DD then you wont have a problem [disgust] great customer relations eh? x

I switched to DD and get a discount also get a discount for paperfree billing.

karia
04-Jan-08, 17:16
Following today's announcement concerning huge rises in electricity prices and the subsequent effect that will have right across the board...I'd say we are all going to feel the pinch shortly in homes and businesses alike:(

Bobinovich
04-Jan-08, 18:22
I can understand why my mum had a fireplace now - heated the water & the room (plus attached rooms if doors were left open), could be cooked on/boil water if the electric went off, and could also be run on wood scoured from the nearby beach, which kept coal & dross purchases to a minimum. She was no fool!

Now if only there were genuinely cost-effective micro-renewables which didn't have a 15+ year pay-back period, and hich could feed the domestic electric supply.

Anyone?

ywindythesecond
04-Jan-08, 18:26
I am going to try live on what is in the kitchen and put of a big shop for as long as I can.
This may not work as I am a crap cook :confused

I have switched to rollies which will save a lot and hopefully stop me smoking as much.
I am going to leave the car as much as I can, this is a bit of a as I do need it for the shops.
I am going to try my hardest to fill up at the cheapest garages, this is also a bit difficult as I am going to have to travel a fair bit to get to them :confusedx100!

Anymore ideas orgers ?

Best plan so far Starry

EDDIE
04-Jan-08, 18:32
I pay all my bills monthly basis i find its a lot easier that way so every month is the same and i dont have any bad months.
I mind years ago my grandad had a coal fire and he used to collect would from here there and everywere he found it and used to break the the wood up and keep it in his garage and he burned it in the coal fire and his sitting room was always roasting hot and it cost him nothing but the downside was there was a lot of sparks of the fire like.
I always think sky is a waste of money and do u really need it because there is plenty channels on freeview i just think sky is an expensive luxury

EDDIE
04-Jan-08, 18:39
i never understand people that uses credit cards and takes out loans u should always live within your means and save up i think when u start using your credit card or taking out loans its the slippery slope if your not good with your money

EDDIE
04-Jan-08, 18:42
im going to take sandwiches to work and leave my purse at home to save pennies!

I used to go to the burger van bakers every day and i stopped it i reckon u can save about £100 a month by make sandwiches but the only trouble with that is you get fed up with sandwiches after a while

sadam
04-Jan-08, 21:39
I have the January blues as I have lost my front tooth which will cost £747.56 to replace boo hoo then on top of that my mum doesnt like the new cordless phone I got for her and wont use it. Plus I have to put my car back into the garage to get the heater working. Not having a good start to the year yet

connieb19
04-Jan-08, 21:55
I have the January blues as I have lost my front tooth which will cost £747.56 to replace boo hoo then on top of that my mum doesnt like the new cordless phone I got for her and wont use it. Plus I have to put my car back into the garage to get the heater working. Not having a good start to the year yetTooth or teeth????:eek:

sadam
04-Jan-08, 22:07
I know you would think at that price it would be teeth, but it is just one. But dont get me started on dentists

DeHaviLand
04-Jan-08, 22:55
Now I'm thinking that at £750 a tooth, Connie could be banishing everyones January blues. That top set shouldnt be too hard to take apart Connie.;)

connieb19
04-Jan-08, 22:59
Now I'm thinking that at £750 a tooth, Connie could be banishing everyones January blues. That top set shouldnt be too hard to take apart Connie.;)Aye, and a wee dod of superglue. Oooh I've always wanted to be a dentist. :evil

ciderally
04-Jan-08, 23:01
know how it is... just got the phone bill, thats it started