PDA

View Full Version : 1...2....Please be on your way

brokencross
04-Jan-08, 09:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7170939.stm

I think this is quite a good idea as bored children in adult surroundings can become a noisy nuisance.

webmannie
04-Jan-08, 09:55
I think that rule should be adopted at houses during Hogmanay parties, Call it '1...2 your out the door'

Dadie
04-Jan-08, 10:03
limiting tea and coffee is a bit harsh though!

paris
04-Jan-08, 10:21
Kids shouldnt be allowed in pubs .full stop. Ive had many a good night spoilt when there are kids crying due to being tired and the parents just carry on drinking . Also how can parents be responsible for kids when they ve had to much booze, thats where accidents happen . jan x

brokencross
04-Jan-08, 10:32
Just listened to Wetherspoons spokesman on BBC5Live. The thinking behind the policy is that once the adults and children have had their meal there are no children friendly facilities on site so children become bored, boredom can bring naughtiness, naughtiness can be a nuisance and upset other pub users. Two drinks was considered a reasonable quantity for the timescale of a meal.

I think what has happened is, that in the past a few irresponsible parents have been in Wetherspoons' pubs and have let their children use the pub as a playground while the parent/adult quietly gets on with their drinking. So as far as I can see, it is the majority being "punished" for the behaviour of a few.

rockchick
04-Jan-08, 10:38
Sorry Paris, can't agree with you there. Well-behaved children should be welcome pretty much anywhere (except bars or nightclubs), and if you're travelling in Britain sometimes a pub is the only place you can get a meal. Having a child "watershed" time, usually 7pm or 7:30pm, is reasonable, and removes kids from the pub at the time the drinking crowd start filling the place. Everyone's happy.

However, mis-behaving people (children AND adults) should be removed from public company until they learn to conduct themselves appropriately.

brokencross
04-Jan-08, 10:41
However, mis-behaving people (children AND adults) should be removed from public company until they learn to conduct themselves appropriately.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Ash
04-Jan-08, 11:14
if this is the case shouldnt it be everywhere.......

TBH
04-Jan-08, 11:40
Why not limit the two drinks policy to those that are identified as the carer of the child(ren) even having them sign a statement to that effect? Allied to this, having a set time of day for family meals would also make more sense as people wouldn't feel they were being forced out.

Julia
04-Jan-08, 13:50
I was always under the impression that Wetherspoons patrons could only have one alcoholic drink if they had children with them. I think it's a good idea, parents shouldn't have more than one or two drinks when responsible for children.

Ash
04-Jan-08, 14:29
adults shouldnt drink with there kids at all, weatherspoons is awful anyways

starry
04-Jan-08, 14:53
The drinks policy came to light when Stephen Gandy contacted the BBC after visiting a Wetherspoon pub in Wallasey on Merseyside for a meal with family and friends. The group was told that they could not have more than two alcoholic drinks each because they were with a child, even though the child's mother was only drinking water

I agree that parents who are too drunk to look after their children should be asked to leave but in this case the mother was drinking water and the whole group was still asked to leave after two drinks.

paris
04-Jan-08, 15:07
Sorry Paris, can't agree with you there. Well-behaved children should be welcome pretty much anywhere (except bars or nightclubs), and if you're travelling in Britain sometimes a pub is the only place you can get a meal. Having a child "watershed" time, usually 7pm or 7:30pm, is reasonable, and removes kids from the pub at the time the drinking crowd start filling the place. Everyone's happy.

Hi rockchick, I feel that parents /adults should be able to go to a pub without children there, maybe as you say a 7pm-7.30pm time limit but after that kids shouldnt be allowed. Im a parent of 4 grown up kids now and 3 grankids and when mine were smaller it was so nice to get a babysitter and go out for the evening away from them........sounds awful that.:eek:......but adults need time as well away from them . I for one dont take to kindly to other peoples kids in a pub when im out for the evening. jan x

golach
04-Jan-08, 15:31

I think you are correct rockchick,the bars that do allow children in, should have watershed as I believe Wetherspoons have, on the Continent children can and are taken into bars/ bistros/tavernas call them what you may, with no problems at all.
In Belgium 14 year olds can legally drink beer in a bar or nightclub as long as they are in the company of a parent or parents, this was discovered by my youngest son aged 15 much to his delight, the next day he suffered his first hangover, much to my delight.
I have never had a problem with a drunken cursing child in a bar, but I have with some adults [disgust]