PDA

View Full Version : stop

Ash
03-Jan-08, 22:20
who ever the people are putting of fireworks plz stop!!! i have a 8month old dog petrified!!!

northener
03-Jan-08, 22:24
Phone the coppers Ash, it's anti-social behaviour if it is causing you distress.

Ash
03-Jan-08, 22:26
i dont think it would do much good.... seems to have stopped right now. i dont get why there still on sale its not november and its no longer hogmany and new year, its annoying

karia
03-Jan-08, 22:50
Phone the coppers Ash, it's anti-social behaviour if it is causing you distress.

Is that the case Northener?

Are there time restrictions involved?

Where we are.. it is all night at every excuse, birthdays, christenings, ancient rituals like the opening of a bridge or a new bottle of Buckfast![lol]

.. I'd love to know the legal position......:roll:

Of course the fun filled perpetrators will be bankrupt in 2008 according to todays press and the price of pyrotechnics these days..Money does go up in smoke!

Pretty lights.

Kariaxx

DeHaviLand
03-Jan-08, 23:15
The Fireworks Scotland Regulations of 2004 only make it an offence to let off fireworks during night hours, ie. 11pm until 7am.

Outwith these hours, there is no point in bothering the police.

Night hours regulations are waived on 4 days during the year, Hogmanay, Chinese New Year, 5th November and Diwali.

Sorry Ash, you just have to put up with it.

MadPict
03-Jan-08, 23:27
Ash,
No point posting your frustration here (or anywhere really) as the morons responsible probably can't read...

lil_kim
03-Jan-08, 23:54
Fireworks were going off next door to me on new years morning at 2am. frightened the life out me and the dog! thank goodness my daughter can sleep through anything!

starry
03-Jan-08, 23:59
I wish that they would just ban private sales and allow only organised displays only.
The noise doesn't bother me so much but the safety side of it does.

sphinx
04-Jan-08, 00:21
my dog goes barkers when they set them of and is not right for day or so:~(

mrsmo
04-Jan-08, 11:33
At least if it was organised firework events you would maybe be able to arrange to be somewhere else with your dog, but when you are out and you are not expecting fireworks to go off its not great, esp when you practically have to carry the dog home. my poor animal gets in such a state, its not fair on the poor animals. she is still scared to go out at night after bonfire night and wont be right until the light nights come in.:mad:

nanoo
04-Jan-08, 13:31
According to todays LOCAL paper, fireworks can be bought all the year round now. If you want you can even order them over the internet, as the paper states, just how safe is it to send fireworks through the post. I.m with starry on this one, fireworks should be banned from public sale, only organized events should have access to them. The MP trying to have them banned from sale to the public gets my vote.:~(

Camel Spider
04-Jan-08, 14:32
At least if it was organised firework events you would maybe be able to arrange to be somewhere else with your dog, but when you are out and you are not expecting fireworks to go off its not great, esp when you practically have to carry the dog home. my poor animal gets in such a state, its not fair on the poor animals. she is still scared to go out at night after bonfire night and wont be right until the light nights come in.:mad:

It isnt fair that I have to dodge Dog mess on the pavement either .. should we ban dogs ??

Ash
04-Jan-08, 14:40
how can u make out like thats the same thing! not every owner doesnt pick up there dog mess does that mean my dog has to suffer![evil]

bluelady
04-Jan-08, 14:44
According to todays LOCAL paper, fireworks can be bought all the year round now. If you want you can even order them over the internet, as the paper states, just how safe is it to send fireworks through the post. I.m with starry on this one, fireworks should be banned from public sale, only organized events should have access to them. The MP trying to have them banned from sale to the public gets my vote.:~(

I agree, more organised events would be ideal. For a street party, one/two people could be nominated to obtain a Free licience to purchase and let of the Fireworks. Neighbours could put together beforehand to purchase them. It would save peeps money and stop idiots like this.

scorrie
04-Jan-08, 14:48
It isnt fair that I have to dodge Dog mess on the pavement either .. should we ban dogs ??

If you are awakened, in the comfort of your own bed, on a regular basis, by the sound and smell of a freshly launched Canine "Roman Candle", then I say, yes, ban dogs. Otherwise let's live and let live with our pooch pals.

Ash
04-Jan-08, 14:50
i just dont think some people realise the effects fireworks have on animals, my alfie is soo jumpy now after the fireworks and is clinging to me... poor thing

Buttercup
04-Jan-08, 15:26
i dont think it would do much good.... seems to have stopped right now. i dont get why there still on sale its not november and its no longer hogmany and new year, its annoyingShops need to buy a licence from the council to sell them and it dictates when they can be sold, can't remember offhand but I think it's only for about 4 weeks until 7th November (approx). But there's nothing to stop people storing them at home and letting them off anytime.

scorrie
04-Jan-08, 16:54
Shops need to buy a licence from the council to sell them and it dictates when they can be sold, can't remember offhand but I think it's only for about 4 weeks until 7th November (approx). But there's nothing to stop people storing them at home and letting them off anytime.

Lidls were selling fireworks over the Christmas period.

nanoo
04-Jan-08, 16:58
According to what i read in the papers today, fireworks can be sold all year round, if the shop has no stock it can be ordered for you and sent to you BY POST. Now how safe is that the paper asks, even the internet will arrange delivery by post. Stupid or what.[lol]

Camel Spider
04-Jan-08, 17:06
how can u make out like thats the same thing! not every owner doesnt pick up there dog mess does that mean my dog has to suffer![evil]

Yeah youre right because apparently no dog owners let their dog mess on the pavement do they. Its like masturbation isnt it ?? .. everybody you ask never does it.

The fact is I find dogs annoying by having to avoid their mess, you find fireworks annoying because they annoy your dog .. same thing in my book.

Wouldnt it have been more postive to have gone outside and asked the people letting the fireworks off to stop ??, who knows they may well have if they knew they were causing your pet distress.

henry20
04-Jan-08, 17:07

They were for sale in Homebase last week.

Ash
04-Jan-08, 17:40
Yeah youre right because apparently no dog owners let their dog mess on the pavement do they. Its like masturbation isnt it ?? .. everybody you ask never does it.

The fact is I find dogs annoying by having to avoid their mess, you find fireworks annoying because they annoy your dog .. same thing in my book.

Wouldnt it have been more postive to have gone outside and asked the people letting the fireworks off to stop ??, who knows they may well have if they knew they were causing your pet distress.

it is not the same thing nowhere near the same, they dont annoy my dog the scare him not the same.... and i DO CLEAN UP MY DOG MESS

babybunt
04-Jan-08, 18:04
Interesting how the topic of fireworks can be made into if you clear up ur dog mess!!!!!

I think that fireworks should be banned for public sale, private organised displays only. Less chance of people getting hurt as well!

I can understand about your poor dog, i have a parrot and he goes ballistic with fireworks.

Camel Spider
04-Jan-08, 18:33
Interesting how the topic of fireworks can be made into if you clear up ur dog mess!!!!!

I think that fireworks should be banned for public sale, private organised displays only. Less chance of people getting hurt as well!

I can understand about your poor dog, i have a parrot and he goes ballistic with fireworks.

I made the comparison as I am sick to the back teeth of cat and dog owners thinking they can dictate to others based on whats best for their pets.

And like I said earlier did the thread starter actually go out and ask the people to stop ??

I doubt they were surfing the Org at the time to read the thread asking them to stop.

MadPict
04-Jan-08, 18:36

What, like this person did? [disgust]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm

He tried to stop yobs from setting fireworks off after his dog bolted because of their actions. He ended up dead in the gutter....

connieb19
04-Jan-08, 18:40

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm)

He tried to stop yobs from setting fireworks off after his dog bolted because of their actions. He ended up dead in the gutter....Where does it mention fireworks in that article? :confused

Ash
04-Jan-08, 19:19
i think you will find my dog was lying with me at the time i was posting on the org, i was comforting him, you just sound like such a heartless person

MadPict
04-Jan-08, 20:04
Where does it mention fireworks in that article? :confused

I read the news in a paper and the article was a lot more in depth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505671&in_page_id=1770

northener
04-Jan-08, 20:17
The Fireworks Scotland Regulations of 2004 only make it an offence to let off fireworks during night hours, ie. 11pm until 7am.

Outwith these hours, there is no point in bothering the police.

Night hours regulations are waived on 4 days during the year, Hogmanay, Chinese New Year, 5th November and Diwali.

Sorry Ash, you just have to put up with it.

You're correct with the regs DeHaviland, but it's worth mentioning that any action that causess distress to other members of the community is anti-social behaviour and the police can act accordingly - regardless of what time the incident is taking place.

If I crank up my stereo to the annoyance of the neighbours I can, quite rightly, end up in court. Fireworks are no different, it's a question of level of tolerance, what time they are going off at (8:00pm on 5th of November wouldn't give you grounds to complain - 4:00am on Sunday 6th Jan would) and also if the coppers can be arsed to do anything about it.

Which they can't, normally.

pirateeye
04-Jan-08, 20:27
i once heard that if your dog gets scared with fireworks and it goes for comfort you shouldn't give it the love and comfort and assurance it needs because that makes it believe the sound it really something to be afraid of where as if you leave the dogs and act like there is nothing to be afraid of then it won't make him worse...i dunno if it fixes it or not but by cuddling the dog when the bangs are going off then it makes it worse or stick.
apparantly
i think it was the dog whisperer...?

Camel Spider
04-Jan-08, 20:56

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm)

He tried to stop yobs from setting fireworks off after his dog bolted because of their actions. He ended up dead in the gutter....

Yeah youre right.

Dont go out and ask them to stop, just assume you will be killed if you do. Because everyone who does ends up dead in the street dont they ??

Then start a thread on a website asking the people to stop setting off the Fireworks .. they are bound to see that arent they ??

mrsmo
04-Jan-08, 21:44
well if I knew where the fireworks were being set off I would ask them to stop but it does not have to be next door to upset a dog it can be miles away, and I do try and be a responsible dog owner and pick up mess. I dont like tiptoeing around dog mess either. Some of us do care and not just about dogs.:~(

Ash
04-Jan-08, 21:50
thank you!!

i hadnt a clue where the fireworks were coming from, oh and i have a small child so couldnt really go out looking for the people putting of fireworks, for some reason people who dislike animals think that us with animals like there mess!

well we dont!!!!!!!!!:mad:

MadPict
04-Jan-08, 21:52
Sadly, in today's society, standing up for your self is something fewer and fewer people are willing to risk.
Sure, you may not end up getting a good kicking, but you now have to weigh up the risks of actually saying something to the group of teenagers causing problems outside your home or acting in an anti social manner.
When I were a kid, if an adult picked me up doing something I shouldn't I'd not have said or done anything other than apologise. Today they will scream about their rights.

Firework abuse can be a problem and laws were introduced to prevent it, but the culprits know that the cops are too busy to be chasing around trying to enforce the law on fireworks.

We have had some miserable years with fireworks night lasting over four weeks, so Ash has my sympathy. You obviously have no time for cats or dogs and thats fair enough. But many people do have animals and have to go through the distress of watching them go ballistic time and time again.

As for your point about fouling - most towns have wardens whose duties include 'educating' dog owners on cleaning up after their pets. Not really possible for those letting off fireworks in the street (an offence now) as this happens in the dark usually!!!

pirateeye,
Yes, making a fuss of your pet can reinforce the anxiety the animal is suffering from - best to ignore them and let them find somewhere to hide if they want to - just make sure they can't get out.
Hard to do sometimes when the pet is in obvious distress...

Bobinovich
04-Jan-08, 22:59
What, like this person did?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7168042.stm)

I read the news in a paper and the article was a lot more in depth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505671&in_page_id=1770 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505671&in_page_id=1770)

Sorry to be a nit-picker but neither article states that the group he was confronted by were actually setting off, let alone in possession of, fireworks.

MadPict
04-Jan-08, 23:07
Sure I read somewhere they were setting fireworks off - I stand corrected.

Still, if he hadn't been out searching for his dog after it had run off, he may still be alive...

connieb19
04-Jan-08, 23:11
Sure I read somewhere they were setting fireworks off - I stand corrected.

Still, if he hadn't been out searching for his dog after it had run off, he may still be alive...Another reason not to keep a dog then. :eek:

scorrie
04-Jan-08, 23:44
According to what i read in the papers today, fireworks can be sold all year round, if the shop has no stock it can be ordered for you and sent to you BY POST. Now how safe is that the paper asks, even the internet will arrange delivery by post. Stupid or what.[lol]

I got the following from a government website:-

"Q: When can I sell fireworks?
A: The periods where selling fireworks without a sales licence is permitted
are: Guy Fawkes, from 15th October and ending on 10th November; New
Year, from 26th December and ending on the 31st December; Chinese
New Year, the first day and the three days immediately preceding it; and on
the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it."
.................................................. .................................

If you have the appropriate licence, you can sell them all year round. It costs £500 for this licence.

MadPict
04-Jan-08, 23:55
Another reason not to keep a dog then. :eek:

The companionship, loyalty, fun and exercise gained from dogs far outweighs the few days a year when the inconsiderate behaviour of some causes any distress.

ywindythesecond
05-Jan-08, 00:20

Dogs are not a problem. Irresponsible dog owners are. Irresponsible firework firers-off are also a problem, not the fireworks.

connieb19
05-Jan-08, 00:21
The companionship, loyalty, fun and exercise gained from dogs far outweighs the few days a year when the inconsiderate behaviour of some causes any distress.I don't disagree about dogs being loyal companions. I'm just thinking it's safer for folks if they never have to leave the house. :confused

ywindythesecond
05-Jan-08, 00:23
[quote=ywindythesecond;318557]quote]
Dogs are not a problem. Irresponsible dog owners are. Irresponsible firework firers-off are also a problem, not the fireworks.[/

TBH
05-Jan-08, 00:30
Is that the case Northener?

Are there time restrictions involved?

Where we are.. it is all night at every excuse, birthdays, christenings, ancient rituals like the opening of a bridge or a new bottle of Buckfast![lol]

.. I'd love to know the legal position......

Of course the fun filled perpetrators will be bankrupt in 2008 according to todays press and the price of pyrotechnics these days..Money does go up in smoke!

Pretty lights.

KariaxxIt's a tax write off for some people.;)

footie chick
05-Jan-08, 00:33
[quote=MadPict;318416

As for your point about fouling - most towns have wardens whose duties include 'educating' dog owners on cleaning up after their pets.quote]

Not up here unless you and I quote "have photographic proof" there is nothing they will do been there they've done nothing!! Even if the dog in question enters your property and does its business!!! several times a day.
And yes I do have a dog and YES I do scoop up :mad:

TBH
05-Jan-08, 00:36
how can u make out like thats the same thing! not every owner doesnt pick up there dog mess does that mean my dog has to suffer![evil]Playing devil's advocate, not every user of fireworks is irresponsible.

Ash
05-Jan-08, 10:04
not saying the people are being irresponsible but just dont get why people insist on putting them off all year round!!

Torvaig
05-Jan-08, 12:25
It's fun! Just as spinning round the streets late at night is fun! Just as coming home from a night out in the early hours of the morning singing or cursing at the top of their voices is fun! Just as walking out on top of the street outside the nightclubs is fun!

binbob
05-Jan-08, 19:36
hahaha...same old ,same old ...same old ....need i go on..we are talking FIRWORKS ,ever had dog poop explode on u???
did not think so...

binbob
05-Jan-08, 19:43
hahaha...same old ,same old ...same old ....need i go on..we are talking FIRWORKS ,ever had dog poop explode on u???
did not think so...
spelling correction..FIREWORKS.... not firworks....

*Martin*
05-Jan-08, 20:50
On another note, someone keeps letting their dog crap in my garden! Someone told me that if you put chilly powder in the grass it will burn the dogs bum! Does anyone know if that's true?

Lolabelle
06-Jan-08, 11:31
On another note, someone keeps letting their dog crap in my garden! Someone told me that if you put chilly powder in the grass it will burn the dogs bum! Does anyone know if that's true?

I can't imagine that working, because the dogs don't usually put their bums onto the ground to poo! Unless it's a Daschund that is doing his ablutions in your yard?? :eek:

i once heard that if your dog gets scared with fireworks and it goes for comfort you shouldn't give it the love and comfort and assurance it needs because that makes it believe the sound it really something to be afraid of where as if you leave the dogs and act like there is nothing to be afraid of then it won't make him worse...i dunno if it fixes it or not but by cuddling the dog when the bangs are going off then it makes it worse or stick.
apparantly
i think it was the dog whisperer...?

And this is right, you shouldn't comfort your dog when they are scared, it reinforces the fear. I send my dog to their beds. I don't be mean, just don't pat or fuss over them when they are scared of a storm or fireworks.

bluelady
06-Jan-08, 12:19
Only on e Org can someone post a thread on one subject and it turns into another - What has dog poo got to do with Fireworks? Both annoying but two different subjects. Stick to the thread its annoying. http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

scorrie
06-Jan-08, 16:24

Is "chilly" powder hot though? ;)