PDA

View Full Version : ewww nasty habit approaching, how to stop now.....

kriklah
03-Jan-08, 13:44
The Cat Crept into the Cript, Crapped and Crept out again !!!!! :lol: (Always wondered when id get to use that!!!)

Anyhow, my 2 darling 6 month old kittys have been having a problem distingushing the diference between the litter tray and wardrobes, usually resulting from getting shut in a bedroom or just sheer lazyness during the night, as they do know how to use the tray. That in its self isnt the major problem, as i know they will grow out of of it,(and a swift kick up the butt might help). Tuseday night i went up to bed to find someone has left a deposit right in the middle of the bed!!!!! Ick to say the least!!!, as the door was shut i figure one of them must have been shut in there all day. So yesterday i checked for occupents before closing doors, all clear. Go to bed last night - Fluffy appears, does all the cute kitten act for a bit before we turn the light out, couple of minutes later hes scratching at the covers, just before the smell hits... the dirty little has crapped on the bed again.... while we were in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![evil]

Needless to say this has to be nipped in the bud now before he thinks he can get away with it regularly, so any ideas??! (aside from the obvious not letting the cats in the bedroom - i like my feline company at night when hubby works away) As i caught him in the act last night he got his nose rubbed in it!!! Not my favorite method, but had to do something!!

Liz
03-Jan-08, 14:11
I understand your frustration but rubbing their nose in it won't help!!!:eek:

Have you tried changing their cat litter in case they don't like it?

Another thing to try is Feliway. This can help with inappopriate toileting. It is a plug in device which releases pheromones and this relaxes the cats.

The cheapest place I have found to get it is www.vetuk.co.uk

If you have a single storey house then place it in a central place such as the hall. If not then place it near, or in, the bedroom.

justine
03-Jan-08, 21:09
YOU COULD TRY PUTTING IN A CATFLAP.Although we have one our male cat thinkg the clean washing, wet or dry is a brilliant place to pee...I darent leave it in the kitchen with the cat, otherwise i would be washing it over and over.......Hey kriklah, Have you any idea when bingo was born, eg for his birthday......i dont have a date...month would do...

kriklah
04-Jan-08, 15:51
Thanks for replies

Liz - they seem happy enough with the litter i buy as they will use the tray no problem, I think sometimes the wardrobe deposits are a hint its time to clean the tray out!!! I might just give the Feliway a try, though knowing my luck they will get so comfy and content in the room theyll never leave it!!!

Justine - they have a flap, which i know 4 of the five cats use, though ive not yet seen Fluffy (the main guilty pooper) use it. However he will go out using a hole in the wall behind my tumble drier, where the outlet pipe was (they broke it off by climbing over it!)only a matter of time before hes too big for it though!! so he does go out, and ive found plantpots in the green house used as litter boxes, so again i think it is just lazyness when he does it in the house.

Its just his using the bed that bugged me, ive never before had a cat that down right rude!!!! Sofar its just been these 2 times and he is only 6 months though so plenty of time to grow out of it, i just need to encourage the kids to take over the litter cleaning more often, (i keep telling them i shouldnt be doing it while pregnant but do they listen???)

PS Justine - as for Bingo, i think May 03 is about right, he was 3 months'ish old when we got him in the August/Sept (cant rememeber exact date we got him, but it may be on the paperwork for his id chip)

Sandra_B
04-Jan-08, 15:59
Good luck! We had one kitten we had to give back to the breeder as it would not use the litter box at all. One evening it jumped up on the couch beside me and peed!! It also went in my brand new Winter boots.

The breeder later sold it to a child-free/other cat-free home where there was no more problems.

lady penelope
06-Jan-08, 00:28
I sympathise with you. One of my cats pees on the bath mat. He's done it for years and old habits die hard. At least it's not my bed!:lol:
There is stuff you can buy to spray to discourage cats from soiling/ wetting where you don't want them to. I think it's called 'get off'. Might be worth a try.;)