PDA

View Full Version : for the rabbit experts: fighting bunnies

pirateeye
02-Jan-08, 13:51
i have two female bunnies who live together, they are sisters and i have never separated them since birth and they have always been best of friends but have recently started to fight. they are a year and a half old and this passed few days when i have gone out to feed them etc i have found fur all over the floor of the hutch, i thought maybe one was having false pregnancy but definitly not, then i caught them fighting one day, so my friend suggested feeding them in different rooms of the hutch which i did but they ended up eating together! they are still fighting but not hurting each other, no blood or cuts but i don't know what to do with them. any advice on what to do? do you think they will be ok together or should i separate them (really don't want to do this as they seem to get on all the time...except recently)
sorry its a long message but please add your words in if you can thanks

unicorn
02-Jan-08, 14:55
my Advice would be get them seperated before you have a fatality, it only takes one nail to do some very serious damage. As I have always advised people 2 rabbits may live in harmony until hormones kick in and then you get one who wants mating and she will fight to the death if necessary. The only other option in my opinion is to have them both neutered and that will stop the hormone problem but it is a very costly process. Hope this helps, it is negative but once they fight the clock is ticking to serious damage. If your hutch is big enough you could seperste it with strong wire so they still have minimal contact but it is easier to just seperate.

pirateeye
02-Jan-08, 16:04
i thought that's what people would recommend. its a shame but i guess i will have to do that. i just wasn't 100% sure but i may end up getting them neutered because i like them to have company any idea on the prices so i know what to face? and will they miss each other a lot or do they get over it easily enough? thanks for replying

unicorn
02-Jan-08, 16:15
no they should be ok, at the moment they are telling you it is not working out any more, if you supervise them closely they may still be able to spend small amounts of time together at exercise time but keep a close eye on them. From what I have heard neutering costs up here are quite high, roughly £60 but if you give the vets a call they will be able to give you a better guide. Hormones spoil the best laid plans :roll:

pirateeye
02-Jan-08, 16:57
i'm just off out to put them in separate hutches now:( i'll put them across from each other. it's braving the weather that's a struggle, hay flying everywhere all the rabbits trying to escape to get their food...so impatient. i don't think it is any better than when i was out this morning i wonder how much food will stay on the scoop on its journey to the hutch from the tub:lol:
thanks

justine
02-Jan-08, 17:02
i know i phoned the vet in wick and it is gonna cost me 90 per rabbit to have them neutered..I am only getting star done as my males are fine.They are completely seperated so there is no chance of fighting...she has been kept in solitary with her last remaining baby, which i am still hoping to rehome..

Why dont you just get them neutered and save money on a new hutch..better all round...

pirateeye
02-Jan-08, 19:00
i have plenty of spare hutches here they are separated now and were fine. more interested in their food than anything else. wow £90 is a lot of money just to get a bunny done. dear me. how much do they charge for males do you know?

blondscot
03-Jan-08, 00:11
it cost me just over 60 quid to get my male rabbits neutered!!

justine
03-Jan-08, 00:30
i have plenty of spare hutches here they are separated now and were fine. more interested in their food than anything else. wow £90 is a lot of money just to get a bunny done. dear me. how much do they charge for males do you know?

when i spoke to the vet he said about 90 for either sex...I only had two rabbits then and have kept one from each 3 litters..But i am going to have to get star done as ziggy misses her company very much....

WeeBurd
04-Jan-08, 21:07
it cost me just over 60 quid to get my male rabbits neutered!!

Oucchhhh! Thanks for that Blondscot, I'm hoping to get my fella done this month as he's taken a heck of a shine to me - I can barely put his food out without him jumping on my arm :eek:. When he's not feeling saucy, he's the most delightful little fella, but (as Unicorn has warned me before) his affection (and sparaying!) is getting a bit out of control [lol].

pirateeye
04-Jan-08, 22:06
why on earth does it cost so much that's ridiculous! what do they do remove all their organs then put them back? seriously.
oh well at least it keeps bunnies happy and healthy i guess. if you got pets you gota pay!:)