PDA

View Full Version : SAD solution

Andrew C
01-Jan-08, 17:00
Friends,

I am well aware of how this issue affects people, and I do suffer a little myself, even if in a mild form.

I am exploring with our headquarters the possibility of buying a few units and to have them available either to hire (for free or for a very minimal cost to recover replacement parts/units etc) or possibly to have some larger, stronger units based at the hall for people to come along for a cuppa and a session.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know if you think this is something that would be useful and if the second idea, larger units based at the hall, would be a viable option for folks. The benefit of this second idea would be that it motivates people to get out for a bit and you'll get a chance to meet people who experience the same things as you do.

Please feel free to respond here or to PM me with ideas and suggestions.

yours
Andrew C

Lavenderblue2
01-Jan-08, 17:17
I don't live in Wick and I am lucky enough to have my own light box but honestly Andrew I think that is the best idea that anybody has come up with for a long, long time.
The benefit from the light box, the companionship and social interaction would be a real winner!

Well done! :)

LB

Angela
01-Jan-08, 17:25
I don't live in Wick and I am lucky enough to have my own light box but honestly Andrew I think that is the best idea that anybody has come up with for a long, long time.
The benefit from the light box, the companionship and social interaction would be a real winner!

I second that! SAD sufferers (I am one) can so easily become hermits over the winter.

Good luck with this project, Andrew. :)

Lavenderblue2
01-Jan-08, 17:34
Yes you are right Angela - when I feel low I'd sometimes do anything rather than even go to the supermarket - or even go to the front door to a caller.
It is so awful...

LB

Margaret M.
01-Jan-08, 19:47
I don't live there and thankfully I don't have SAD but that sounds like a wonderful idea!

starry
01-Jan-08, 21:44
I would definitely be interested in hiring one if it wasn't too expensive. Travelling to Wick to use one just wouldn't be possible.

Andrew C
01-Jan-08, 21:49
I would definitely be interested in hiring one if it wasn't too expensive. Travelling to Wick to use one just wouldn't be possible.

We'd certainly not be interested in making profit at all. It would be a token charge to contribute towards the upkeep of the items.

Thanks for your feedback

karia
01-Jan-08, 22:00
So long as you are well researched, funded and ascribed forthwith
..with the fundamental do's and don'ts in place under licenced medical practice and approval....can't see a problem!:D

Karia

orkneylass
01-Jan-08, 22:43
Make sure you do your homework. The units have to be used for a minimum amount of time each day and they have to be positioned to shine the light direct into the back of the eye - an ideal application is at a computer workstation whilst on the org! You would also have to consider the cost of replacement tubes - they last 2 - 3 winters but are very expensive. I would imagine that you will need some funding to get such a project off the ground. If NHS Highland cannot help they may nevertheless endorse a funding application through a charitable trust. It would help with this if you had some data on depression in Caithness.

Andrew C
02-Jan-08, 00:25
Thanks for the input. Any Salvation Army 'social project' is well researched, funded and ticks all the necessary points. We've already kickstarted this research in cooperation with our director of social work.

There are many places to who seem to hire out this aparatus, so its not an impossible project.

If anyone can think of any other pros and cons, please chip in.

orkneylass
02-Jan-08, 12:21
Good luck with your project. I am involved in trying to get funding for employees within my organisation who work in windowless spaces, thus getting no daylight exposure at all in the winter months. Anyone in this situation should ask their employer to fund a lightbox.

Andrew C
02-Jan-08, 12:22
We may be able to help if you have no success with the employer. I'll let you know in due course if we'd be able to help with funding.

Andrew

Good luck with your project. I am involved in trying to get funding for employees within my organisation who work in windowless spaces, thus getting no daylight exposure at all in the winter months. Anyone in this situation should ask their employer to fund a lightbox.

Andrew C
02-Jan-08, 16:42
A colleague of mine has suggested that there is a product on the market which means you can plug some sort of special light bulb into your household fitting. Anyone heard of these? I am still waiting for him to get back to me with details.

Andrew

orkneylass
02-Jan-08, 19:36
Not sure about this because of the necessity to angle the light directly onto the back of the eye. It may be that "daylight bulbs" that can be used to force plants would not prevent SAD - When I did the research I did not find anything that would work for a whole room full of people - just specific treatment at a set position and distance for 45 minutes + per day. However, if you find differently please let us all know.

Andrew C
02-Jan-08, 20:27
Not sure about this because of the necessity to angle the light directly onto the back of the eye. It may be that "daylight bulbs" that can be used to force plants would not prevent SAD - When I did the research I did not find anything that would work for a whole room full of people - just specific treatment at a set position and distance for 45 minutes + per day. However, if you find differently please let us all know.

Did read that a brighter, purer light does help. A normal light is about 2500 lux but you can get lightbulbs about 6000 lux....the light is whiter, less artificial.

I'll look into it more.

Andrew C
09-Jan-08, 04:04
To offer some update on where we are getting to with our 'light clinic' and possible local (free or low cost) hire for light boxes, I can say its going well!

We have been advised that we wouldn't need to register this service with a health authority, thus reducing the complications in getting our project off the ground. We have also been in touch with several light box companies to see if they will provide discounted units to us to help us get started sooner.

We would be providing this 'clinic' for free, cup of tea and the necessary biscuit included. We are unsure of what hours we could realistically provide at the moment and over how many days we could operate. However, even if our service gives you the opportunity to try out a box for free, it would be a help.

It may also help just to have the incentive to come outside and mix with people, supporting other people who suffer in the same way.

Before anyone asks, there will be no hymn singing, bible reading or praying going on :) unless our cheery handyman happens to be changing lightbulbs whilst whistling Onward Christian Soldiers. I'll keep you all up to date with our developments