PDA

View Full Version : Tourists.

cuddlepop
01-Jan-08, 14:10
we've got lots of tourists over here for New year and nothing is open today for them.Unless they've booked full board somewhere their going to go hungry.
Tomorrow aint much better.

Anything opened up in Caithness or are your tourists going hungry too?:confused

Torvaig
01-Jan-08, 14:19
There are three tour buses at the Royal Hotel in Thurso but I would like to think that entertainment etc., will be provided for them. For one thing, going by the posts here, the street party was a great success.

I've been to stay in country hotels at New Year and there has always been a party on Hogmanay, great food and gentle walks on New Years Day etc., or just enjoying some peace and quiet after a leisurely lunch.

Will you not be going for a quiet, peaceful drink in the Pier Hotel in Portree yourself cuddlepop? ;)

cuddlepop
01-Jan-08, 15:17
There are three tour buses at the Royal Hotel in Thurso but I would like to think that entertainment etc., will be provided for them. For one thing, going by the posts here, the street party was a great success.

I've been to stay in country hotels at New Year and there has always been a party on Hogmanay, great food and gentle walks on New Years Day etc., or just enjoying some peace and quiet after a leisurely lunch.

Will you not be going for a quiet, peaceful drink in the Pier Hotel in Portree yourself cuddlepop? ;)
Somehow the idea doesn't appeal to me,think its got something to do with the company.;)

connieb19
01-Jan-08, 15:37
If they've got plenty of booze send them over to Wick. I could do with a right raging party lol. :Razz

Cattach
01-Jan-08, 15:44
we've got lots of tourists over here for New year and nothing is open today for them.Unless they've booked full board somewhere their going to go hungry.

One person's entertainment or shopping on New Year's day is another person's hard graft. Maybe people do not wish to work for tourists or locals on one of the few public holidays in the year when they can get both a rest and be with family if those two things are not too contradictory.
Let us have at least a couple of days without shops, pubs, etc having to be open.

JAWS
01-Jan-08, 19:56
Bank Holidays or, as they are also named, Public Holidays are an antiquated hangover from the days when having several weeks annual holidays were totally unknown.

In this day and age they serve no useful purpose at all and should be abolished completely.

Angela
01-Jan-08, 20:14
A family member further north was working yesterday until 3 this morning...but never mind, he was hoping they'd get down here visiting folk later on today. :)

A shame he forgot to check the petrol gauge well in advance- as the only local suppliers (a supermarket beginning with T) have of course been closed all day....:roll:

cuddlepop
01-Jan-08, 20:20
[quote=Angela;316796]A family member further north was working yesterday until 3 this morning...but never mind, he was hoping they'd get down here visiting folk later on today. :)

A shame he forgot to check the petrol gauge well in advance- as the only local supplier (a supermarket beginning with T) have of course been closed all day....

All our shops were shut but the local petrol station was opened could have ventured down via Skye ;)

Tristan
02-Jan-08, 08:04
One person's entertainment or shopping on New Year's day is another person's hard graft. Maybe people do not wish to work for tourists or locals on one of the few public holidays in the year when they can get both a rest and be with family if those two things are not too contradictory.
Let us have at least a couple of days without shops, pubs, etc having to be open.

I agree with your point with regards to shops. We don't need to shop 24 hours a day 365 days a year and I would hope that tourists would have traveled all those miles for more than shopping.

Looking at the initial point

If you are in the tourism or hospitality industry what you take as a holiday will be different than the rest of us. I am surprised that tourists are finding it hard to get a meal. Sounds like a great time for a restaurant to make some good money.

rainbow
02-Jan-08, 10:41
Angela - you could have got fuel at the supermarket beginning with T if you have a credit card. You just fill up at the pump and use your card. This method of getting your fuel is open 24/7.

Angela
02-Jan-08, 11:51
Angela - you could have got fuel at the supermarket beginning with T if you have a credit card. You just fill up at the pump and use your card. This method of getting your fuel is open 24/7.

Thanks for that, rainbow....next time.....!:)

I'm in agreement with the folk who find our 24/7 society very wearisome -often I do wish it would just stop for a while. Tourism is vital to our economy though, and if you own or work for a business that relies heavily on tourists for its very existence, then I think you do have to put in the work when it's likely to be busiest.

I have worked in tourism, btw, and know what it's like not to have the same holidays that most people get.

If people have a poor holiday experience and feel less than welcome, they're much less likely to return or to recommend Scotland -or in this case Skye - as a destination to their friends. I do feel we should try to ensure they have the best time possible. :)