PDA

View Full Version : Love from Lithuania!!!

weeboyagee
03-Oct-05, 18:17
Well - I'm here, no bags, no wallet (it got stolen), no money (what was left was put in my bag), and no mobile phone - it was also in my bag!!!!!!!! I had 40 quid to my name and I tried to change it and the lady turned her nose up pointing at the sign that said GBP (followed by the exchange rate!) I said "Yes, uh-huh" with a blank look on my face - "that's what I gave you" "No, she said, England, England" and handed me my money back - so skint as a church mouse! My business trip is off to a flying start!
If ever I wanted to be detached from that place I want to be now!!!!!! I am flipping furious about feeling so sick of Scots having to be classed as English when abroad to get anywhere (and by heck I have enough proof of it now!) BUT! The people are GREAT - the country is GREAT and the beer is even better!!!!! (and cheaper - although I wouldn't know cause I haven't got a bean to buy anyone a drink!!!!)

If I get back tomorrow, or the next day - it will be a miracle and probably by fishing boat!!!!

WGB in Lithuania!! :cool:

Rheghead
03-Oct-05, 18:44
Sorry to hear about your predicament. :(

BTW How is the weather out there?

I believe it can be quite baltic out there at this time of year? :cool:

hereboy
03-Oct-05, 20:52
I remember being over there in the mid nineties - cracking beer right enough - cracking birds too if you are into a bit part time ornithology when the opportunity presents itself... lots of olive long legged varieties, with fair plummage if memory serves...

shame about you being skint - however if you had to be any nationality abroad without any dosh, being scottish is currency in itself - that will take you a long way...

weeboyagee
04-Oct-05, 20:53
Still no bag and no money!!!! No mobile so the only way to keep in contact with folks is by posting here!!!! Some wonderful hospitality being provided to me - mainly because of my studies in ornithology :D !!!

Hereboy - your memory is well served - they are gorgeous!!!! Here on a business trip but looking to talk to the local chamber of commerce about procuring birds of a rare variety found in Caithness but found by the flock over here!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Weather Rheghead - was 22 degrees when we landed - warmer than Amsterdam by a fair bit. Unlike back home,...the temperature rose somewhat last night when we went downtown - eh hereboy???? Off scouting to Poland sometime tomorrow or Thursday, Estonia and back on the fishing boat on Friday..........will someone come and get me??? Lol!

WBG in Lithuania :cool:

weeboyagee
04-Oct-05, 20:58
By the way Golach......planning to visit Romanovich for a cup of tea tomorrow and discussing tactics for Saturdays game!!!! :D WBG :cool:

hereboy
04-Oct-05, 21:07
Some wonderful hospitality being provided to me - mainly because of my studies in ornithology :D !!!

Watch out though - I hear there are some ailments that are readily transmissible from continental european birds to those in the UK. I would hate to see an outbreak in the far north. You can usually tell which birds are afflicted though - they are usually the spotted varieties...

;)

Alice in Blunderland
05-Oct-05, 12:36
:confused wee boyagee your mammy will skelp your but if ye dinna contact her soon leave e bird watching for a minute and try to call home .Will collect you myself and nag you all the way home if not i dont have a boat but will borrow one if needed

weeboyagee
06-Oct-05, 09:39
Morning blundering Alice - phoned home so Mammy is happy! :o) Nice birds hereboy, very nice birds - they seem to be very nocturnal - the nicest varieties (birds of paradise, cockatoos and love birds) come out at night, most of them seem to have just hatched, very colourful and wonderful plumage - the turkeys, hens, ducks and big fat geese tend to be out more during the day. ;) Every now and then you see the odd cuckoo.

My bag arrived two days after I got here (at least I got it) but my binoculars and guide book of Ornithology had been stolen so I had to get closer to do the inspections - ocassionaly asking for advice off my interpreter friend - he has been a real asset to his country - if any of you business guys are looking for someone to help you with communication over here - PM me and I will let you know about him - I am sure he will be only to glad to help you.

Anyway - last day here with lots to do - been a busy (and eventful) trip. Will hopefully be back for more evening Ornithology sometime in the future. Alice in Blunderland - tell Mammy I'll try and bring here something nice home - a feather or two! :D And which port are you coming to collect me from????

WBG in Lithuania......... :cool: