PDA

View Full Version : Bill Fehilly?

darklighter
08-Apr-03, 10:34
Does anyone know the name Bill Fehilly.Apparantely he owned a cafe in wick in the 1960's (& possibly a fishmarket/fishshop)
Anyway he played a big part in the formation of the band SAHB (the sensational alex harvey band) in my eyes Scotlands GREATEST band ever .He got Alex together with the band tear gas to become SAHB & was their manager through their early years.
I was just wondering what /where this semi legendary figure owned in wick & does he still live in wick.
Any Info?

gleeber
08-Apr-03, 16:25
Bill Fehilly and his brother Dave set up a cafe in Prince's street Thurso sometime in the late 50s. The cafe was above what is now Sandra's and which is now a backpacker's hostel.It was the in place at the time.
Bill and Dave were painters and decorators but had a flair for other things too, particulary dance promotions in the town hall Thurso and various venues throughout Caithness in the 60s.
They left Thurso sometime in the early 70s and set up bingo halls in and around Perth which apparently became quite successful.
Bill managed various well known bands around that time. Remember Nazereth, Budgie, Geordie to name but a few.
He died in a plane crash sometime around the late 70s or early 80s.

darklighter
08-Apr-03, 19:05
gleeber cheers 4 at sad to hear he died ,but hey what a cool musical link between thurso & the world of rock!(sorry the boy that wrote the new book about alex harvey got it wrong when he said the cafe was in wick!!)

Betty
09-Apr-03, 05:29
I think Fehilly did have a cafe in Wick, as well as Thurso. As I remember it was probably where Boots is now. Think it would have been in the early to mid 60's.

darklighter
09-Apr-03, 07:12
:D hey betty thank you very much for your help as well.i didnt expect such a quick response on this subject !!

Anonymous
15-Jul-03, 13:57
I remember Gene Vincent staying up in the area for his holidays because he knew one of them. He came in the Ard Tigh cafe one day, and we were all amazed!
They had froffy coffee, a brilliant jukebox, and a vibrating machine you stood on...don't ask!
I have since stayed in the hostel, which uses the upstairs space, formerly the cafe.

Penny
08-Sep-03, 20:09
Reply to Betty about Bill's Cafe in Wick. Yes, I remember a Cafe where Boots is now, I am sure it was called the Cedar Cafe it was all lined out in wood and like it's counterpart in Thurso was the in place at the time. Least I thought it was! :D

On the subject of Cafe's in Wick - I also remember one called the Balmoral it was up a stair somewhere about hand where Gunns Shoe shop is now - then it was Wilfred Weirs grocers! Ahh those were the days and now it is night! :(

katarina
10-Feb-05, 18:32
Reply to Betty about Bill's Cafe in Wick. Yes, I remember a Cafe where Boots is now, I am sure it was called the Cedar Cafe it was all lined out in wood and like it's counterpart in Thurso was the in place at the time. Least I thought it was! :D

On the subject of Cafe's in Wick - I also remember one called the Balmoral it was up a stair somewhere about hand where Gunns Shoe shop is now - then it was Wilfred Weirs grocers! Ahh those were the days and now it is night! :(

Thank goodness someone else remembers the cedar cafe. I was begining to think I had been dreaming!

bill
07-Apr-05, 19:41
Does anyone know the name Bill Fehilly.Apparantely he owned a cafe in wick in the 1960's (& possibly a fishmarket/fishshop)
Anyway he played a big part in the formation of the band SAHB (the sensational alex harvey band) in my eyes Scotlands GREATEST band ever .He got Alex together with the band tear gas to become SAHB & was their manager through their early years.
I was just wondering what /where this semi legendary figure owned in wick & does he still live in wick.
Any Info? Bill was killed in a plane crash many years ago

scotsboy
08-Apr-05, 12:27
Any detials of the plane crash?