PDA

View Full Version : Mods

TBH
29-Dec-07, 18:34
What were you in your youth, a hippy, mod, rocker, punk, teddyboy, new romantic, etc or did you just follow your own unique path? I'm a rocker, roller right out of controller, wheeler, dealer,I'm a wicked woman stealer I'm a bruiser, cruiser ...

starry
29-Dec-07, 18:41
I had a wee spell as a punk and a wee spell as a newish romantic. I was very fickle and really chose my style based on who I fancied at the time ;)

northener
29-Dec-07, 18:43
Biker!!!

Leather lancer jacket, white T shirt, drainpipe jeans with white seaboot stockings turned down over me bike boots. Cutoff with mucho patches on.

Spent most of my yoof (when on leave) being told "Oy, we don't serve bikers in 'ere!"

Usual retort was unprintable followed by 5 minutes of redlining the bike and smoking the back tyre right next to the pub entrance.[lol]

Eeeeeh, them were t' days.

Once had a scooter, but don't tell anyone![para]

(Rides off into sunset singing "Seasons don't fear the Reaper....")

karia
29-Dec-07, 18:45
What were you in your youth, a hippy, mod, rocker, punk, teddyboy, new romantic, etc or did you just follow your own unique path? I'm a rocker, roller right out of controller, wheeler, dealer,I'm a wicked woman stealer I'm a bruiser, cruiser ...

bruiser, cruiser...hev ye been at e booze sir?:)

TBH
29-Dec-07, 18:56
bruiser, cruiser...hev ye been at e booze sir?:)I took a cruise doon till e' boozer.

zappster
29-Dec-07, 19:00

Spotted the AC/DC lyric straight away..so that answers your question for me eh?haha

TBH
29-Dec-07, 19:04
Spotted the AC/DC lyric straight away..so that answers your question for me eh?hahaYou have excellent taste.;)

hotrod4
29-Dec-07, 19:32
Think I went through all of them phases!!!.
Was more of a "modern" mod into the Jam and Northern soul but I was the only one so it was lonely :(
Then became a B-boy breakdancer/BMX er which I think everyone went through.
Now I am a wrinkly old rocker with a Les Paul and very little talent ;)

scorrie
29-Dec-07, 19:45
Was more of a "modern" mod into the Jam and Northern soul but I was the only one so it was lonely.
Then became a B-boy breakdancer/BMX er which I think everyone went through.
Now I am a wrinkly old rocker with a Les Paul and very little talent ;)

I don't have a Les Paul but once had a Pal called Les. I always had long hair and a hippy attitude but never followed fashions or trends of any sort. In fact, if something is popular simply because it is trendy, I won't be seen within a mile of it. The years have put paid to the follicle output but the attitude remains the same.

I liked The Jam but the only Mods I listen to now are the ones who tell me to behave myself on the Org. ;)

ps The Smiley Police forced me to remove your frown. Och, they're no good for ye anyway!!

paris
29-Dec-07, 19:49
BIKER !! through and through. I may be a girlie but def a biker chick. All thoes rallys roughing it in a tent , wind blowing through my hair ( when i didnt wear a helmet ) my trustie old leather jacket and flying jacket for the colder days. Cant wait till summer comes again . jan x
P.S I also like teddyboys and rockabilly music .:eek:

karia
29-Dec-07, 19:54
Was more of a "modern" mod into the Jam and Northern soul but I was the only one so it was lonely

Oh! My ex husband was a big northern soul fan...

ahh!

...get yer point!;)

northener
29-Dec-07, 20:00
Although a Biker, I always liked The Jam and had a secret liking for Lambrettas.:eek:

Thought that Punk came up with some good bands and attitudes.

Have you noticed how 'kids today' (pah! what do they know!) are a lot less tribal and have more eclectic tastes in music than most of us old gits?

Lavenderblue2
29-Dec-07, 20:01
I think I steered my own path yet most of my friends were Mods but I once went for a ton-up on the back of a bike down the Southend Arterial Road - as you say Paris - no helmets in those days. Poor mum would have had a fit had she known!!
I suppose I had a foot in both camps - I am so glad I was around in the sixties - what a time we had!! ;)

LB

karia
29-Dec-07, 20:23
We were born to be wild..but have proved a little tame...

just like generations before us!;)

Rheghead
29-Dec-07, 20:26
Although a Biker, I always liked The Jam and had a secret liking for Lambrettas.

Us true rockers could always suss you interlopers out, it was no secret!;):)

Tugmistress
29-Dec-07, 20:54
Pretty much a rocker, the AC/DC lyrics are now buzzing through my head :lol: don't think i will ever 'leave' the rock out of my life for good, i still enjoy some good thumping loud music to bring me down out of a foul mood :D
Wore jeans, t-shirt, denim cut-off with patches and studs, i still have a studded belt i wear to this day!

northener
29-Dec-07, 21:26
Us true rockers could always suss you interlopers out, it was no secret!;):)

I'll not tell you about the 'Glen Campbells Greatest Hits' cassette I wore out then....

Dammit. Ohwhatagivaway.

Altogether now!

"Galveston, oh Galveston,
I still hear your sea winds crashing,
As I watch the cannons flashing,
I sit and clean my gun
and dream of Galveston".

... Come on Rheghead, sing up, I can't hear you!

karia
29-Dec-07, 21:30
I'll not tell you about the 'Glen Campbells Greatest Hits' cassette I wore out then....

Dammit. Ohwhatagivaway.

Altogether now!

"Galveston, oh Galveston,
I still hear your sea winds crashing,
As I watch the cannons flashing,
I sit and clean my gun
and dream of Galveston".

... Come on Rheghead, sing up, I can't hear you!

'such are the dreams of the everyday housewife.'.you'd need to be a real afficianado to mind that...or a wichita line man![lol]

Kx

northener
29-Dec-07, 21:38
'such are the dreams of the everyday housewife.'.you'd need to be a real afficianado to mind that...or a wichita line man![lol]

Kx

An everyday houswife who gave up the good life for me?;)

Wichita Lineman is excellent, but I had to be careful when drunk, not to sing it at bike rallies.....

Ricco
31-Dec-07, 10:19
Biker for a few years, until an accident broke my knee and put me off - busted my bike as well. Then became a hippy for a few more years until I went my own way.

zappster
31-Dec-07, 12:22
I was probably one of the first thrashers in Week listening to Venom,Celtic Frost,Slayer,Metallica,Anthrax etc way back as far as '84.I went through a few years ridicele in the high school fae mates(harmless banter)..until these bands(especially metallica,anthrax,slayer)became bigger..they then started gettin into them don't know how many times around '87 '88 isaid "TOLD YE SO!"haha
Still like ma heavy stuff but have a way wider range nowadays though ma heart's still with rock!
! !
!!/

Highland Laddie
31-Dec-07, 15:18
Marty Robbins - gunfight ballads

johno
31-Dec-07, 18:40
almost always had a bike before getting married. but was,nt a biker as such, liked bikes would,nt have a scooter. But any bike of mine was merely transport.though i liked the freedom the bike gave. :cool:

Jeemag_USA
31-Dec-07, 19:44
I was torn between Punk and Mod, I ended up listening to more mod music than punk because there were just not enough Punk Bands out there to satisfy my musical tastes, apart from The Stranglers, Clash and Stiff Little Fingers I thought most of the rest were rubbish with the exception of a few small groups like Sham 69 and the Buzzcocks, Skidz etc, didn't really care much for the Pistols. I loved The Jam and thought they were more punk than mod to be honest and I loved The Who, also was very much into Ska and 2Tone and I loved Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, Selecter, Toots and the Maytals and Bob Marley. I also loved The Police, so fr me it was more about what music was good rather than what style bracket I wanted to be slotted into. As far as punk goes my favourite band was always The Stranglers, at one time I had every vinyl they ever produced including picture discs and imports and then when Hugh Cornwell left I stopped collecting. Went to see Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers live a couple times, The Fingers live was a joy to behold. :Razz

TBH
31-Dec-07, 22:29
I was torn between Punk and Mod, I ended up listening to more mod music than punk because there were just not enough Punk Bands out there to satisfy my musical tastes, apart from The Stranglers, Clash and Stiff Little Fingers I thought most of the rest were rubbish with the exception of a few small groups like Sham 69 and the Buzzcocks, Skidz etc, didn't really care much for the Pistols. I loved The Jam and thought they were more punk than mod to be honest and I loved The Who, also was very much into Ska and 2Tone and I loved Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, Selecter, Toots and the Maytals and Bob Marley. I also loved The Police, so fr me it was more about what music was good rather than what style bracket I wanted to be slotted into. As far as punk goes my favourite band was always The Stranglers, at one time I had every vinyl they ever produced including picture discs and imports and then when Hugh Cornwell left I stopped collecting. Went to see Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers live a couple times, The Fingers live was a joy to behold. :RazzI first heard of Toots and the Maytals whilst looking for a copy of John Denver's country roads and thought, "Yeah, I could get used to listening to these guys". I saw stiff little fingers do a folk set seated with acoustic guitars and dressed like the spinners, Oh the sacrelege.:(

JAWS
01-Jan-08, 04:07
I was from a group called "Beats" in the early 1960s. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Julie Felix etc. Combat jackets, flared jeans and so on. It was the era when everybody was into being either rebellious Mods or Rockers. We decided that was just a kind of uniformity so we rebelled against that as well.

Then some backward place called California caught on to the idea and called it Flower Power and named themselves Hippies. They are the ones who created the mess that the World in today, all fancy ideals and not a sensible solution in sight.

TBH
01-Jan-08, 07:44
I was from a group called "Beats" in the early 1960s. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Julie Felix etc. Combat jackets, flared jeans and so on. It was the era when everybody was into being either rebellious Mods or Rockers. We decided that was just a kind of uniformity so we rebelled against that as well.

Then some backward place called California caught on to the idea and called it Flower Power and named themselves Hippies. They are the ones who created the mess that the World in today, all fancy ideals and not a sensible solution in sight.If you're going to san, fran, cisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. Maybe they did create a mess but their hearts were in the right place

hotrod4
01-Jan-08, 11:26
If you're going to san, fran, cisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. Maybe they did create a mess but their hearts were in the right place

They did wonders for the sale of "Rizla's" though ;)

psyberyeti
01-Jan-08, 15:32
I used to alternate between being a rock biker (Black Sabbath) and a biker hippy (Hawkwind, proper old Genesis and English folk plus a bit of Ivor Cutler). I've mellowed in my old age to Kraut Rock such as Rammstein/In Extremo/Accept/Kraftwerk etc with a good helping of Kraut Hippy such as proper old Tangerine Dream/Pyramid Peak etc. I don't have a bike now as I found the mind changing sheep on the roads out west just too dangerous.

I just rock more quietly nowadays:cool:

sassylass
01-Jan-08, 18:12
I was a conservative hippie [lol]

Bobinovich
01-Jan-08, 20:57
for me it was more about what music was good rather than what style bracket I wanted to be slotted into.

This is, and has always been, my chosen genre - i.e. what I considered good! I most definately have eclectic tastes :D