PDA

View Full Version : A9 Query

wifie
29-Dec-07, 17:52
Could anyone tell me why there are blue lights illuminating a large rock face on the left hand side of the A9 around the Kincraig/Aviemore area. I have often wondered and thought someone on here could enlighten me!

Tugmistress
29-Dec-07, 18:03
I don't know the answer but it sure looks pretty :)
i also notice the rock face is covered with 'chicken wire' so i wonder if it is to do with watching out for rock slides before the wire was up and they changed the bulbs to blue for aesthetic pleasure after?

Saveman
29-Dec-07, 18:04
cos it looks nice

Phoebus_Apollo
29-Dec-07, 19:47
It`s a decorative feature designed to illuminate the rocks at night.

wifie
29-Dec-07, 19:51
But why? Is this bit of rock of special interest? Just can't see the point and it must cost - who pays?

Phoebus_Apollo
29-Dec-07, 19:53
The Highland Council had some spare money that year and decided to illuminate the rock face- why? - why not!!

Stargazer
29-Dec-07, 20:09
There are blue lights underneath the bridge over the River Thurso too. Looks interesting and stimulates conversation.

Buttercup
29-Dec-07, 21:01
There are blue lights underneath the bridge over the River Thurso too. Looks interesting and stimulates conversation.
Wasn't it Thurso Town Improvements that put these lights in?

carasmam
29-Dec-07, 22:57
You can see soldier's face, complete with helmet, in the rocks down that way. Maybe it is lit up at night. Haven't been down there in the dark lately.

wifie
30-Dec-07, 12:37
Perhaps I could see the point if they illuminated the 'soldier' but there must be some reason for choosing this!

*Martin*
30-Dec-07, 14:48
It's a sad world when someone has to complain about a rock face being lit up! Instead of being so tightly wound, why don't you just relax and think about just how pretty it looked?

wifie
30-Dec-07, 14:54
Mate I ain't tightly wound - just interested. I never said it wasn't pretty either. I just have an enquiring mind (some might say nosey). On here ya gotta agree to disagree or then you end up being tightly wound!

starry
30-Dec-07, 15:01
It took me years before I could actually see the soldiers face. I drove that road twice a week for years and just couldn't see it no matter how hard I tried.

plumber
30-Dec-07, 18:10
Where the soldier's face is. Is not the rock that is lit up. You can see the soldier's face on the left hand side of the road when going south. The lights are on your left when coming north

wifie
30-Dec-07, 20:59
Plumber the soldier's face is indeed further north - and it is not illuminated.

starry
30-Dec-07, 21:28
Where the soldier's face is. Is not the rock that is lit up. You can see the soldier's face on the left hand side of the road when going south. The lights are on your left when coming north

Is there anyway it is a house, I remember being baffled by blue lights last year and it wasn't until I passed in daylight that I realised it was actually a house with blue lighting round the roof.

wifie
30-Dec-07, 23:30
No starry definitely rocks - right beside the road - lol If it is a house I am really needin my eyes testin!!!

Thumper
30-Dec-07, 23:53
Isnt it just outside Kincraig Safari park?x

wifie
31-Dec-07, 00:27
Round about the turn off yes.

Anne x
31-Dec-07, 02:00
The German soldier in the rock is at the Shclohd not sure of spelling and apologise to all !!!
as you going south on A9 on right has been lit up for yonks and why not a bit further on at Kingussie we have some relic of a castle again on right lit up but nice to see
as is Thurso castle nice to view with lights but in daylight Noh !!! in Scotland the list goes on and long may they light up our Nice bits be it floodlit

rockchick
31-Dec-07, 09:07
I know the rock-face that you are referring to, and I have also wondered why it's illuminated. Sorry to say, I haven't a scooby as to why it is lit.