PDA

View Full Version : Toast

coastown
28-Dec-07, 12:58
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan
What do you call it, French or Gypsy toast' this is a slight disagreement between myself and a family member. i say French toast he says gypsy toast what do you call it. help.-----:confused

orkneylass
28-Dec-07, 12:58
We call it eggy bread!

1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan
What do you call it, French or Gypsy toast' this is a slight disagreement between myself and a family member. i say French toast he says gypsy toast what do you call it. help.-----:confused

EDDIE
28-Dec-07, 13:02
I sometimes have that we call it french toast why i dont no thats what my mum called it years ago

Donnie
28-Dec-07, 13:05
I call it disgusting.

Billy Boy
28-Dec-07, 13:07
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan

Actually you are both right, I have just googled both and they are the same thing.:confused......................I have always called it french toas

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 13:14
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan
What do you call it, French or Gypsy toast' this is a slight disagreement between myself and a family member. i say French toast he says gypsy toast what do you call it. help.-----:confused Yes that's what you call it coastown, French toast. It's always been called that in our house and in my parents and my OH parents house as well. I love it.;)

karia
28-Dec-07, 13:19
French toast! (must be served with a dollop of HP)

If you melt a layer of cheese between two slices of it you have a recipe for a heart attack that is known as 'Cheese Dreams':D

I think of it as 'yum but dumb';)

karia

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 13:51
French toast! (must be served with a dollop of HP)

If you melt a layer of cheese between two slices of it you have a recipe for a heart attack that is known as 'Cheese Dreams':D

I think of it as 'yum but dumb';)

karia Yes karia, i've tried it that way too, but i prefer to spread my dollop of HP all over the slice as you would with butter. Hmmmm might suggest this for lunch today. Have'nt tried the cheese in the centre thingy but might be tempted some time to try it.

karia
28-Dec-07, 14:08
Yes karia, i've tried it that way too, but i prefer to spread my dollop of HP all over the slice as you would with butter. Hmmmm might suggest this for lunch today. Have'nt tried the cheese in the centre thingy but might be tempted some time to try it.

You Go girl!;)

Method:

1) Check insurance policies are in order :D

2) Fry two slices on one side then place cheese between the two cooked slices and fry top and bottom in sandwich form.

3) Eat....enjoy!

4) Take a nap

Kariax

thebigman
28-Dec-07, 14:14
Sounds like that'll be lunch e day

karia
28-Dec-07, 14:19
Sounds like that'll be lunch e day

Well it won't involve you having to change your name!;)

karia

Fantoosh
28-Dec-07, 14:26
I know people that call it 'eggy bread' or 'eggy toast'. I call it french toast though :)

golach
28-Dec-07, 14:39
French Toast the Canadian way is best of all, a little Vanilla essence in the egg, and served with a drizzle of Maple Syrup......and crispy Canadian bacon.........Yummmmy, and yes we call it French toast here too

Thumper
28-Dec-07, 15:05
We call it french toast,but my kids like it with syrup :eek: yuck!x

karia
28-Dec-07, 15:17
We call it french toast,but my kids like it with syrup yuck!x

Pancakes and maple syrup:D

French toast (and any kind of) syrup[evil]

Julia
28-Dec-07, 15:42
We call it French toast too, whisking a little grated cheese into the egg is before dipping is good too.

coastown
28-Dec-07, 15:51
Put sliced tomato on top, grill slightly quite tasty to.

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 15:52
We call it French toast too, whisking a little grated cheese into the egg is before dipping is good too. Think i fancy that as well Julia so i will do that the next time.;)

changilass
28-Dec-07, 15:57
Its eggy bread in this house

silversurfer
28-Dec-07, 16:06
We call it eggy bread - my son loves it with icing sugar on top!

Lovely to see you call it a 'switched egg' - my late mother-in-law used that same expression for what I would call a beaten egg.

TBH
28-Dec-07, 16:36
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan
What do you call it, French or Gypsy toast' this is a slight disagreement between myself and a family member. i say French toast he says gypsy toast what do you call it. help.-----:confusedWe have always called it French toast.:)

thebigman
28-Dec-07, 16:38
Well it won't involve you having to change your name!;)

karia

Obviously Thumper has described me :-)

hell raizer
28-Dec-07, 16:45
weve always called it french toast, and its lovely with maple syrup ;)

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 16:54
In Belfast we called it French Toast. However it was years before I discovered anyone ate it as a savoury snack as we always had sugar sprinkled on it. Yummy.
Yes that's another way to enjoy it, also tried a sprinkle of cinnamon as well and that's also Yummy.;)

Cattach
28-Dec-07, 16:58
I call it disgusting.

If you have never had Eggy Bread you have never lived!!

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 17:02
If you have never had Eggy Bread you have never lived!! Yeh Yeh, i'll second, third and fourth that Cattah.;)

Buttercup
28-Dec-07, 17:24
We normally call it Eggy Bread but it's "Sunday Name" is French Toast and it's got to be served with tomato sauce/ketchup for dipping.
I sometimes make a similar version as karia's:
Make a sandwich with a cheese slice (very lightly butter both sides next to the filling), then dip in beaten egg and fry till golden. It's easier done in a fryer as the egg instantly seals it together when it hits the hot oil. Delicious!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_13_17.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)

Ash
28-Dec-07, 17:34
i call it eggy bread and i love it!! yummy!

hate when my aunty made as she added sugar and it tasted vile

quirbal
28-Dec-07, 17:50
I just go for the plain simple eggy bread.

Thumper
28-Dec-07, 17:57
Obviously Thumper has described me :-)

It wasn't me.....[para] x

johno
28-Dec-07, 18:30
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan
i seen it made once and i thought it was gross. but then who am i to tell others what to like or dislike. difrent stroke,s for difrent folk,s.
an to hell wi the GRAMMAR. LOL [lol]

sassylass
28-Dec-07, 18:50
French toast with maple syrup and bacon mmmmm

unicorn
28-Dec-07, 18:53
French toast, for sure

cuddlepop
28-Dec-07, 19:38
French toast with a dollop of tomato sauce.

I'm going to try the cheese version sounds yummy.:D

floyed
28-Dec-07, 19:43
Ma dad used to make this the whole time when i was little, it was yummy we always called it eggy bread in our family. OOhhh im going to have to make some for my lunch tommorow now:D

karia
28-Dec-07, 19:45
French toast with a dollop of tomato sauce.

I'm going to try the cheese version sounds yummy.

Hi CP,

We were taught the 'cheese dreams' in domestic science.:eek:

.......no Jamie oliver to look after our arteries in those days!:lol:

Kx

Bobinovich
28-Dec-07, 19:47
LOL - the worlds' grocers & supermarkets will wonder why there's been a run on bread and eggs today!

cuddlepop
28-Dec-07, 19:48
Hi CP,

We were taught the 'cheese dreams' in domestic science.:eek:

.......no Jamie oliver to look after our arteries in those days!:lol:

Kx
I'd much prefer to be in your domestic science class.lol

I was taught to make "floating " islands in banana custard. yuck

karia
28-Dec-07, 19:51
LOL - the worlds' grocers & supermarkets will wonder why there's been a run on bread and eggs today!

They are missing a trick in 'chef land' it would seem!:eek:

We are easy pleased.:lol:

northener
28-Dec-07, 19:58
Read the quote!:D

Anne x
28-Dec-07, 20:00
French toast with maple syrup and bacon mmmmm

My favourite Oh likes it plain

Yoda the flump
28-Dec-07, 22:21
We call it sunshine toast :)

Tristan
28-Dec-07, 22:54
French Toast
either with sugar and cinnamon or maple syrup

mccaugm
29-Dec-07, 01:04
1- take a slice of bread
2- dip in switched egg
3-fry in frying pan

French Toast....

Have heard it called Eggy Bread but that makes it sound gross..
Love the stuff but it smells rank when its cooking so never make it

cullbucket
29-Dec-07, 05:31
Well as a bit of an aficionado of French Toast, I would have to veer well clear of the sweet versions, I cant stomach anything sweet in the morning....
Some ideas I have had that work well.....

Finely grate cheese in with the egg, can crumble blue cheese too - that works well.....
Instead of HP try very thinly spread marmite - my wife got me on to that one and it is a cracker...
Last but not least, something we call "egg in the hole" - take your slice of bread and cut a square or rectangular hole in the middle, dip the bread in the egg like normal and put it in the frying pan. Then crack an egg in the middle and cook it up.....
My kids love this, it is probably their favourite meal (right up there with fish fingers), my 4 year old ate 2 of these one day for lunch which is basically 3 eggs and 2 slices of bread....... in fact she ate that the last 2 times I made it... oh yeah and you can make a baby size slice of french toast with the middle too.....

enjoy.....

Margaret M.
29-Dec-07, 15:36
French toast -- don't eat it much but I make it for the kids who love it with maple syrup.