PDA

View Full Version : fundraisers needed for scanner in caithness

Fran
26-Sep-05, 02:30
Re the story on the front page of "caithness Org" taken from the Scotsman Newspaper..Heart Patients miss out on life saving scanner.
Caithness General hospital turned down the offer of the free ct scanner because they cannot afford the running costs.
Yet the ambulance service transport many patients each week to raigmore hospital for a ct scan.these are mostly patients who have had a stroke and are not really fit for such a long journey.
the money used on transporting these patients could be used for the running costs of the scanner in wick.this would benefit everyone in caithness and north sutherland and i for one would like to see the scanner here.
If you share my views, would you join me in setting up a fundraising committee to get the scanner here. we got the renal unit in wick at long last so now lets go for the scanner.
If you would like to help, please contact me. thankyou. :lol:

Bill Fernie
26-Sep-05, 08:27
I agree that raing money is helpful in getting certain items of equipment for hopsitals. However the running costs of a ward or unit are usually not within the grasp oa fund raisng group as they are very high. The group that raised funds for the Renal unit bought equipment but did not raise funds for the running costs.

Since the Trust failed to take up the offer of £350,000 from the hotel charity on the grounds that they could not identify where the running costs woudl come from within their budeget can you expalin what would be different if a new group raises funds. would the trust not be in the same position and advance the same arguments as previously. I am very interested in any ideas that might advance the date of getting a scanner into Caithness General but I think you would need to set out in more detail what you are prorposing to do with any funds raised and have some assurances from the the North Highland community Health Partnership that they woule be in a position to take up such an offer.

Having turned down the offer of £350,000 from a trust what would be different in any offer from a local group that would be a much smaller sum unless the group had a magic formala for raising the running costs that was put forward as the main reason for not taking up the offer.

Whilst I am all in favour of fund raising for causes and even for hospitals in this case I think a group set up to apply pressure to NHS Highland, the Community Health Partnership and the Scottish Executive might be more useful. A group within the Health Partnership is looking at the issue and is looking for solution to bring forward. Although it has taken a long time it might be best to hold off a while longer to let that process come to a conclusion.

Brian Valentine a concultant obstetrician working at Caithness General in his submission about Maternity services spoke about the scanner as follows -
The imaging facilities must also be expanded in both Thurso and Wick. The fact that an MRI scanner funding has not been taken up my management because of the revenue costs is less than acceptable. The wait in Inverness is up to 9 mths and yet a local facility could be run by a radiographer and the images transferred to Inverness for interpretation. My patients not only have to wait for this procedure but have to travel 220 miles round trip to receive it.
See para 18 at http://www.caithness.org/eyeon/healthservicesincaithness/valentinereposnse/valentinesubmission.htm

The staff who first approached the hotel trust for a donation put forward the argument that faster accurate diagnosis that was possible particularly in cases of Stroke would lead to better outcomes for patients in the north than having to be transferred to Raigmore. The sooner appropriate medicatioon was given moight make the difference between a good recovery or serious imparement. The CT scanner especially the latet models offer a great advance for doctors as another tool in making an accurate judgement of a condition and treatment.

Fran you are quite right to bring this matter inot a discussion and any ideas that can get the scanner into Caithness has to be welcomed. I will watch with interest the discussions on this topic since I have been asking questions about it at any chance I get to ensure it does not drop off the agenda for our health officials. I am happy to say they are still working to find a solution although i would have liked to have seen one before the offer of £350,000 was lost.

Fran
07-Jan-06, 02:09
I agree that raing money is helpful in getting certain items of equipment for hopsitals. However the running costs of a ward or unit are usually not within the grasp oa fund raisng group as they are very high. The group that raised funds for the Renal unit bought equipment but did not raise funds for the running costs.

Since the Trust failed to take up the offer of £350,000 from the hotel charity on the grounds that they could not identify where the running costs woudl come from within their budeget can you expalin what would be different if a new group raises funds. would the trust not be in the same position and advance the same arguments as previously. I am very interested in any ideas that might advance the date of getting a scanner into Caithness General but I think you would need to set out in more detail what you are prorposing to do with any funds raised and have some assurances from the the North Highland community Health Partnership that they woule be in a position to take up such an offer.

Having turned down the offer of £350,000 from a trust what would be different in any offer from a local group that would be a much smaller sum unless the group had a magic formala for raising the running costs that was put forward as the main reason for not taking up the offer.

Whilst I am all in favour of fund raising for causes and even for hospitals in this case I think a group set up to apply pressure to NHS Highland, the Community Health Partnership and the Scottish Executive might be more useful. A group within the Health Partnership is looking at the issue and is looking for solution to bring forward. Although it has taken a long time it might be best to hold off a while longer to let that process come to a conclusion.

Brian Valentine a concultant obstetrician working at Caithness General in his submission about Maternity services spoke about the scanner as follows -
The imaging facilities must also be expanded in both Thurso and Wick. The fact that an MRI scanner funding has not been taken up my management because of the revenue costs is less than acceptable. The wait in Inverness is up to 9 mths and yet a local facility could be run by a radiographer and the images transferred to Inverness for interpretation. My patients not only have to wait for this procedure but have to travel 220 miles round trip to receive it.
See para 18 at http://www.caithness.org/eyeon/healthservicesincaithness/valentinereposnse/valentinesubmission.htm

The staff who first approached the hotel trust for a donation put forward the argument that faster accurate diagnosis that was possible particularly in cases of Stroke would lead to better outcomes for patients in the north than having to be transferred to Raigmore. The sooner appropriate medicatioon was given moight make the difference between a good recovery or serious imparement. The CT scanner especially the latet models offer a great advance for doctors as another tool in making an accurate judgement of a condition and treatment.

Fran you are quite right to bring this matter inot a discussion and any ideas that can get the scanner into Caithness has to be welcomed. I will watch with interest the discussions on this topic since I have been asking questions about it at any chance I get to ensure it does not drop off the agenda for our health officials. I am happy to say they are still working to find a solution although i would have liked to have seen one before the offer of £350,000 was lost.
i am so pleased that the ct scanner is still being considered for caithness general hospital, and still feel an action group and a petition is urgently needed. what does everyone think????????????? See todays "Groat" or "P & J"