PDA

View Full Version : Online gaming

Rheghead
25-Sep-05, 17:51
Has anyone done this? I have been playing Deltaforce2 online but I just get shot all the time. I am wondering if it is anything to do with my dial up connection and others are on broadband. If so does it make a difference?

Other games that I have played online are Age of Empires and Empire Earth and USS Voyager Elite taskforce.

It would be nice to play a local for a change :)

Naefearjustbeer
25-Sep-05, 18:28
I play halflife online and you really nead a good connection speed to play well. I am on a 512k broadband connection and sometimes I am the slowest in the game. I dont think it would be worth trying halflife on dial up

EDDIE
25-Sep-05, 18:50
Well i have a 1mb connection its ok but when u try to shoot some one there some were else I think 1mb is not just quite fast enough for online gaming

bigjjuk
25-Sep-05, 23:13
heres a tip guys, bt have just upgrade their lines with 2mb connections, its not bt yahoo, just bt so i been told. I play xbox live halo2 i have no problems with the connection and compete well with everyone from around the world. mayb its your broadband suppliers??

Rheghead
17-Dec-05, 19:26
I got my broadband 2mb in today and have already tried it out on Delta force. What a difference!!

I realise now why I was 'easy meat' to the rest because I can see now who is on dial up.;)

Nivelo
17-Dec-05, 20:15
I play on xbox live the whole time using the 2mb connection and everythings brilliant. Voice is really clear on it and I also play in alot of 64 player games of BattleField 2 for the pc.
I wouldent recommend dial up atall, because the other player see you as standing still alot and its just very very easy kills for them.

jjc
17-Dec-05, 20:53
Dial-up for anything more than a MUD is just not going to work.

Don't forget to check your upload speed too. You may have 2MB download, but your upload will be more like 512k (if that). This can cause problems in games like Halo2 where one of the players is the 'host' and the rest of you are effectively sending information about what you are doing through their console to everybody else.

Not having the same upload speed as the person you are up against can result in some pretty strange things happening - my favourite (this won't make sense if you don't know Halo2) is sticking a plasma nade to somebody a fraction of a second before they kill you. Because their upload gets the killing shot to the host a bit quicker than your upload gets the plasma nade there your console gets a little out of sync and you get to watch as the nade explodes and does them no damage at all.

pedromcgrory
18-Dec-05, 13:25
anyone play solder of fortune online ?

RandomHero
18-Dec-05, 22:43
download Enemy Teritory. type it in to a search engine, it's a great 1st person shoot em up. good graphics and doesn't cost a penny. lots of my friends play it

Nivelo
19-Dec-05, 02:02
download Enemy Teritory. type it in to a search engine, it's a great 1st person shoot em up. good graphics and doesn't cost a penny. lots of my friends play it
I love this game, one of the first games I played online after I got the broadband in. Absolutly addictive. AND COMPLETELY FREE!!

loganbiffy
19-Dec-05, 11:47
yeah ive got a 2mb connection with talk talk and always on xbox live, no problems with speed now that my xbox 360 is hooked up to the world.
nivelo.... whats your gamer tag?

Nivelo
19-Dec-05, 18:20
My gamertag is "Nivelo UK" i'll probably be on tonight, what games u play the most on live?
I usually play: halo2, far cry, ghost recon 2 ss, forza, midtown madness and load of others

drotax
19-Dec-05, 19:32
Does anybody play live for speed online?
p.m if u wanna race!

MJB
19-Dec-05, 20:01
Broadband does make a difference as everyone has said but I have heard and seen that if someone plays an Online game on Dial up and then moves to BB that they will be very good at the game.
I know of people on a Counter Strike:Source server that I play on that have done that and they're among the best there.
You might want to give Counter strike a go or invest in the new Call of duty 2, I'v heard many good things about it.

MagicalTrevor
20-Dec-05, 03:14
A quick piece of advice here which may not have been mentioned is other factors influencing your play is your processor speed, RAM and Graphics card! Please check recommended specifications of your games and also try to turn down as many graphic options as you can bear!

Murph
03-Aug-07, 18:43
I have had xbox libe now for 8 years snf i have met 5 locals this is amzing 2 see how many pepole have xbox live up here GamerTag [Mulraine01]

Mainly on Halo2, rainbow six vagus, need for speed carbon

Tony
03-Aug-07, 21:15
Has anyone done this? I have been playing Deltaforce2 online but I just get shot all the time. I am wondering if it is anything to do with my dial up connection and others are on broadband. If so does it make a difference?

Other games that I have played online are Age of Empires and Empire Earth and USS Voyager Elite taskforce.

It would be nice to play a local for a change :)

Apparently it is possible to run a trace on your internet connection to see where the signal is being lost/attenuated. I can't recall how this is done off hand but I managed it before when I had server problems. I used Google to search for info on running a trace.
You should try a game called "Joint Operations" as this is similar to Delta Force2 with more weapons, maps etc and can download a patch that provides even more. It is quite an old game now so at bargain prices.:D

Saveman
03-Aug-07, 22:47
WOW! this is an old thread!

emm....anyway....

karia
03-Aug-07, 22:52
I play halflife online and you really nead a good connection speed to play well. I am on a 512k broadband connection and sometimes I am the slowest in the game. I dont think it would be worth trying halflife on dial up

Naefearjustbeer,

Was just asking about you yesterday!

Are ye back?

When I was a 'lurker' .. you were a star in my 'oh so innocent eyes'!:roll::eek:

Nice to see an old familiar name,...and I'm sure I'm not alone in that!

Karia