PDA

View Full Version : Designer Christmas

brokencross
27-Dec-07, 09:03
Just been to my brother-in-laws and was shown all the presents that his 15 year old son had received from Santa and others.

In the "good old days" it would have been sufficient to say he got A shirt, A pair of jeans, A T-shirt etc.

However as he showed me and my wife the pressies, each and every item was prefixed by the "designer name" of the piece of clothing and I am not just talking addidas, nike for sportswear etc this was the full blown, grown up, expensive designer names.

I understand the peer pressure to wear these designer clothes, but haven't they (my in-laws) and my nephew fallen into the consumerism trap which will only cost him a fortune throughout his life. He will be a slave to designer goods.

Even his underpants had a designer name. I wear boxer shorts......I don't know or care which boxer had worn them first. All I know is that my mum always told me to make sure my underpants were clean in case I got ran down and taken to hospital.

paris
27-Dec-07, 10:05
It drives me nuts to see kids in designer clothing ! There has always been peer pressure but its up to the parents if they want to be stupid getting the kids these things, once they have fallen in the designer trap thats it....no going back. Its all to do with street cred so im told. Ive never brought my 4 kids things like that and they are all grown up now and didnt suffer through not having them . jan x

brokencross
27-Dec-07, 10:12
Paris, I'm so glad you agree, I thought I was being a bit bah humbug and judgmental.

Whitewater
27-Dec-07, 12:51
Even his underpants had a designer name. I wear boxer shorts......I don't know or care which boxer had worn them first. All I know is that my mum always told me to make sure my underpants were clean in case I got ran down and taken to hospital.

Hi brockencross, my parents had the same sentiment as yours, now my wife always insists on it, and taught the children the same.

I myself enjoy good quality clothing but I will never wear anything with a name splashed all over it. Beckham and friends make a fortune from displaying the name, but unfortunately our children think they it's cool to dress in similar outfits, but they have to pay a fortune for the privilege.

paris
27-Dec-07, 13:06
Paris, I'm so glad you agree, I thought I was being a bit bah humbug and judgmental.
Not at all, i feel sorry for the parents who cant afford to keep up with all these named brands and the kids just say things like well ALL my friends have got them etc. As a parent i used to feel really guilty not getting them named clothing but it hasnt done any damage to my 4 . jan x

nanoo
27-Dec-07, 13:58
It drives me nuts to see kids in designer clothing ! There has always been peer pressure but its up to the parents if they want to be stupid getting the kids these things, once they have fallen in the designer trap thats it....no going back. Its all to do with street cred so im told. Ive never brought my 4 kids things like that and they are all grown up now and didnt suffer through not having them . jan x
brokencrossParis, I'm so glad you agree, I thought I was being a bit bah humbug and judgmental. I think it is heartwarming brokencross and paris to hear that there are still a few of you level headed parents out there that say NO and mean it. All to often kids get told no but get what they want anyway. I too feel sorry for the parents who cannot afford these so called designer thingies. :~(

Dadie
27-Dec-07, 20:19
We didnt get designer clothes but if we wanted "better " stuff than our parents were prepared to shell out for we had to save up and pay the difference before we got said items!

horseman
27-Dec-07, 21:00
Everys Mum tells them that brokencross;)

Bobinovich
27-Dec-07, 22:07
At 5 and 7 our two are not in the least interested in brands - they're happy if they've got Spiderman & Bratz on, but do not care what is on the label. And long may it last too!

We'll continue to buy whatever we feel is acceptable, price wise, and will try and teach them not to be bothered by what anyone else buys or wears.

Having looked after a teenage relative for 8 months I'll admit that it's an age we're heading into with some trepidation :roll: