PDA

View Full Version : Money Box

EWOK
26-Dec-07, 23:33
Do any banks still issue 'piggy banks'? All I am looking for the traditional type that were made of hard plastic and were lockable. Tried doing a web search and there were items of banks banning them due to "it may offend".

lassieinfife
26-Dec-07, 23:41
offend who????

EWOK
26-Dec-07, 23:48
My web search led me to this.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Piggy-banks-offend-UK-Muslims/2005/10/24/1130006056771.html

I am not bothered about getting one that is pig shaped just a strong lockable plastic bank.

Spring Flower
27-Dec-07, 00:02
you have got to be joking - what an absolute ridiculous article!!!

never mind back onto the subject of piggy banks [or money box!] don't go to the Lloyds TSB - I got a free one when my kids put their money their and the bank they got is a black horses head! it was pretty scary - like something from the mafia!

Alli
27-Dec-07, 01:08
I don't think it matters what the Banks kiddie banks look like, isin't it more about how important it is to teach the children how to save. My son got a LloydsTSB horse when he opened his bank account and he loves emptying it to see how much he has saved in pocket money etc. They are not lockable but we keep it in the kitchen as he knows that his father and I will know if it has been moved.

EDDIE
27-Dec-07, 11:26
you can get piggy banks on this site
http://www.totally-funky.co.uk/
If your wanting it to be locked u can get piggy banks there that are sealed and when its full u have to smash it open i bet your kids would look forward to smashing it open.but when i was little we used to use a big whisky bottle cost nothing got it from a bar.argos sells atm mini banks for saving that are lockable.
I put all my loose change in a small cider bottle takes ages to fill it up i usually get about £60 when its full.the only reason i do it because its a pain carrying all the loose change about

Julia
28-Dec-07, 00:04
never mind back onto the subject of piggy banks [or money box!] don't go to the Lloyds TSB - I got a free one when my kids put their money their and the bank they got is a black horses head! it was pretty scary - like something from the mafia!

My daughter was offered one when I opened her account but I declined it, it really is a scary looking creature, imagine waking up in the night to see that thing staring at you!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Lloyds-TSB-BLACK-PLASTIC-HORSES-HEAD-MONEY-BOX_W0QQitemZ330199516632QQihZ014QQcategoryZ149QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think they might of changed their freebie money box now thought, it's now called 'for the journey', most probably a train or something like in the advert.

Murdina Bug
28-Dec-07, 10:22
My son was given a piggy-style plastic bank from Royal Bank of Scotland about 2 years ago when we opened a kids account for him. It's lockable (though can be jemmied with a knife!) - but does say 'make it happen' on one side and the RBS logo on the other.

floyed
28-Dec-07, 19:52
If you try ebay you may get one, they have loads of diffrent types of banks.