PDA

View Full Version : Town and County Club Alive or Dead

robbie_roost
26-Dec-07, 17:50
yet another missed opportunity by the town and county club...

boxing day..a day for tournaments, snooker pool darts and the like..well as advertised within the club on its notice boards..but in reality not the case.

unfortunately after travelling in from the country to spend a day in the club i was dissapointed to find that after a committee decision that there would be no tournaments as they had decided not to donate anything for the winners.

surly the town and county club should
1)not be advertising something that they are not going to carry out
2)realise that people playing tournaments are also buying drink and the like all day....spending money..

i am afraid that the backer will result in becoming the next casualty along with the dounreay club..

your thoughts would be appreciated.

johno
26-Dec-07, 17:54

boxing day..a day for tournaments, snooker pool darts and the like..well as advertised within the club on its notice boards..but in reality not the case.

unfortunately after travelling in from the country to spend a day in the club i was dissapointed to find that after a committee decision that there would be no tournaments as they had decided not to donate anything for the winners.

2)realise that people playing tournaments are also buying drink and the like all day....spending money..

i am afraid that the backer will result in becoming the next casualty along with the dounreay club..

have to agree with you Robbie , dont know how the club survive,s.
i suppose they get a hit from Gala week, but any other time im in it , it,s fairly dead. :~(

robbie_roost
26-Dec-07, 17:56
if i was going to do a school report card... am sure it would say could do better!

johno
26-Dec-07, 18:04
Damn shame as it,s a damn nice club. :~(

johno
26-Dec-07, 18:08
And while were at it , Greeting,s and welcome to the Org madhouse
Robbie, look forward,s to your posting,s.
Ps and get your grammar right .......[lol] [lol] there, a thing going just now about PROPER punctuation.??

ok smarty happy now. [ grammar]

Thumper
26-Dec-07, 19:00
[para]......the punctuation police are everywhere!!!Watch your spelling too [lol] x
ps Johnno it's grammar or is it?Oh I dont know anymore!!Arghh! x

johno
26-Dec-07, 19:43
the punctuation police are everywhere!!!Watch your spelling too [lol] x
ps Johnno it's grammar or is it?Oh I dont know anymore!!Arghh! x
Aw gie,s us a break Thumper, I never ever claimed to be Einstien. :eek:

zappster
26-Dec-07, 19:54
Thats a pity coz boxing day in the backer is one of ma fav days oot.If I'd have been home i'd have been there!Sounds like i too would have been very dissapointed..Ye should have nipped up to the seaforth coz they have the same thing on boxing day!

burstbucker
27-Dec-07, 14:59
No live band in the club the Saturday before Xmas either, another missed opportunity.

MGB1979
27-Dec-07, 17:28
the punters had high hopes for the backer when the 'new' committee was 'voted' in this year, but sadly our hopes, like our drinks, are on the rocks.

weeksider
27-Dec-07, 17:51
Even the clubs own tournaments were a joke ,the committee put some idiot in charge of them and he is never in the club to check out date's put up for the opponent to see , still took their bottles at end of the year.
Elect a sports convener now , someone who is the club daily

Cattach
27-Dec-07, 17:53
Ps and get your grammer right .......[lol] [lol] there, a thing going just now about PROPER punctuation.??

And spelling too - how about grammar instead of grammer!!!!!

johno
27-Dec-07, 19:03
And spelling too - how about grammar instead of grammer!!!!!
like i said. never ever claimed to be einstien. [lol] guess everbody else knew what i meant anyway
Ps. dan no a brihgter hte teon lcub lwil liekly be jsut jupmign no wen yaesr eve.?

LENSMAN
27-Dec-07, 20:44
No live band in the club the Saturday before Xmas either, another missed opportunity.

Heard the band let them down.
Kareoke in the lounge was well attended, probably should have been held in the hall with the amount of bodies that were in.
A great night was had by all.

robbie_roost
28-Dec-07, 07:30
Johno, thanks for the welcome to the .org and to abody else for there interesting posts. i neva went to school so as far as grammar and punctuation goes ill just hae to struggle on n let u lot decypher it...cheers

Ps and get your grammar right .......[lol] [lol] there, a thing going just now about PROPER punctuation.??

ok smarty happy now. [ grammar]

johno
28-Dec-07, 10:39
Robbie, was never meant to be about you. what i was doing was having a poke at the reply to this post when i mentioned to you about getting your grammar right.[lol] [lol]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone
how long are car dealers in caithness going to keep ripping the hard working pepole off i have had 15 to 20 cars in my life and never bought one in caithness and i will tell you why lets say you go to a dealer in caithness and you see the car you like and he wants £5000 well if you look in inverness i bet you will get the same car for £1000 to 1500 less than you will in caithness im not picking on caithness car dealers the way i see it is that some hard working person has to work very hard to save £1000 try it ur self pick any car for sale in a dealer in caithness i could name a few dealers in caithness that have very high cost for a car but wont be aloud to say on here so my advice is never buy a car in caithness unless car dealers in caithness get there act together if anyone has any thots on what i have said i would love to here it not sure if caithness org will leave this thread on they be thinking that im trying to piss of car dealers im not im trying to save pepole money i have lived in caithness all my life why should i not help my own pepole many thanks
don

I do like to read a good rant, but not without punctuation. Sorry!

robbie_roost
28-Dec-07, 11:27
lol nae worries!!!!

sprint95m
02-Jan-08, 18:39

These are valid points you have raised. However, rather than just posting on this forum there is a choice of three more practical things you as a club member can do. Namely:
1. Make a complaint (using Club Complaint Form).
This must be done within 24 hours of incident and you have to appear in person at a committee meeting.
2. Write a letter stating your concerns to the Club Committee.
This matter is then discussed by them at the next meeting and will be minuted.
3. Attend the next AGM (in May?) and raise your concerns during AOCB (Any Other Competent Business).

Remember, as a club member you are fully entitled to have your say. A worthwhile committee will always welcome feedback whether it is positive or negative.

cd1977
03-Jan-08, 11:01
Complaining to the committee would be an exercise in futility. Unfortunately all concerned in the running of the club are in such a state of torpor these days that the prolonged demise, and eventual closure, of the Town and County club is the inevitable outcome.

Nobody is interested in running or managing the bar anymore. Such a pity as the potential is there for all to see.

Most of the committee do not frequent the bar. The decision made on Boxing Day was done by telephone, and there were no committee members there to take the inevitable flak.

As management decisions go, it has to be up there with the worst of them.

sphinx
03-Jan-08, 14:36
the backer is one off the best clubs the town has and the crack is always been good there they need more live music;)

robbie_roost
03-Jan-08, 23:49
Complaining to the committee would be an exercise in futility. Unfortunately all concerned in the running of the club are in such a state of torpor these days that the prolonged demise, and eventual closure, of the Town and County club is the inevitable outcome.

Nobody is interested in running or managing the bar anymore. Such a pity as the potential is there for all to see.

Most of the committee do not frequent the bar. The decision made on Boxing Day was done by telephone, and there were no committee members there to take the inevitable flak.

As management decisions go, it has to be up there with the worst of them.

thank you, never a truer word spoken {or typed}

MGB1979
04-Jan-08, 00:04
These are valid points you have raised. However, rather than just posting on this forum there is a choice of three more practical things you as a club member can do. Namely:
1. Make a complaint (using Club Complaint Form).
This must be done within 24 hours of incident and you have to appear in person at a committee meeting.
2. Write a letter stating your concerns to the Club Committee.
This matter is then discussed by them at the next meeting and will be minuted.
3. Attend the next AGM (in May?) and raise your concerns during AOCB (Any Other Competent Business).

Remember, as a club member you are fully entitled to have your say. A worthwhile committee will always welcome feedback whether it is positive or negative.

1. Ignoring the fact that this method of recourse is a chronological impossibility, I'm not sure how anything other than complaints could have been expected over this. Do the management really need a form submitted to know this was an unpopular, not to mention unfathomable, decision? I hope not.
2. Communicating through letters is all very well, but is it practical? Waiting several weeks for a reply via the meeting minutes? It could take 3 months before any headway is made.
3. The Boxing Day tournaments are something of a club tradition so I'm sure this will be raised at the AGM, however the AGM is months away, are disgruntled members to sit and stew until then?

Looking at it from my point of view, putting the topic out for some open discussion amongst members is by far the most practical thing to do. I accept that there are traditional ways to do things, but traditions can be broken for better, as well as for worse.

cd1977
04-Jan-08, 17:08
A complaint to the committee would be a waste of time, considering they made the decision.

Therefore they must live or, on this occasion, die by it.

I would also point out that on said Boxing Day, after the regular and loyal customers had walked out, the bar had the nonsensical situation of two members of staff employed, and paid by the members, to serve three people.

You could not make it up!

sprint95m
04-Jan-08, 19:01
A complaint to the committee would be a waste of time, considering they made the decision.

How do you know the committee made this decision?
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Backer have a Sports Convener? This person is responsible for organising and running the sporting events, so would therefore be responsible for cancelling or postponing events?

A few years ago I wrote to the TCC committee to complain about a decision they made (to stop Friday night bingo because it clashed with private functions) because I felt they were making a mistake. I received a phone call from the secretary the following day to discuss my letter. He asked if I could offer an alternative to their decision, to which I had two options - either start the bingo 30 minutes earlier or hold the bingo in the lounge. They do still have Friday night bingo now.

I have in the past taken part in TCC Boxing Day tournaments. The last time I entered these (c.2000), I was disqualified from the snooker (without getting to play). I was told this was because I was holding the tournaments up as I was still in the others I had entered. I was refused a refund of my entry fee.

robbie_roost
05-Jan-08, 11:21
As far as i am aware, the post of Sports Convener has not been filled by anyone...this is maybe something that should be looked at....

weeksider
06-Jan-08, 22:24
Will there be a burn's supper in it this year ?

trix
07-Jan-08, 01:34
e' backer hes loads o potential til be thrivin but its goin doon hill fast. lounge is really lovely but they should do somethin wi' e hall. its needin a total makeover. its beeg an perfect for a dance or whatever but its looks really shabby.

cd1977
07-Jan-08, 16:26
I think it is fairly common knowledge within the club who made the decision about Boxing Day. So a complaint would likely fall on deaf ears.

The tournaments were not cancelled or postponed. It was simply made clear to those present that no prizes were on offer for the winners. Yet the club had the temerity to advertise those tournaments.

Who dreamt up the genius idea of a tournament with no prizes? :roll:

Incidentally, the sports convener was present and made it clear he was not in agreement with the course of action taken.