PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the birds

bekisman
24-Dec-07, 16:47
I know many of us (not just bird watchers) are into putting out a bit of seed for the birds during the winter months, and I know I've mentioned 'Kennedy Wild Bird Food' down in Lincolnshire before when we purchased our sunflower seeds from them.. Well we're still doing it.
Living in the Highlands is a lottery reference delivery costs, but with this company it's included.. We live 24 miles west of Thurso out in the sticks..
So 25kgs of 'Economy Mixed' seed for £15.50, was ordered on Friday 21st and it's just arrived by AJG a few minutes ago! (650 miles and this is Christmas!)
A few details: http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com/ (http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com/)

Just off to feed the birds!

Cattach
24-Dec-07, 17:04
I know many of us (not just bird watchers) are into putting out a bit of seed for the birds during the winter months, and I know I've mentioned 'Kennedy Wild Bird Food' down in Lincolnshire before when we purchased our sunflower seeds from them.. Well we're still doing it.
Living in the Highlands is a lottery reference delivery costs, but with this company it's included.. We live 24 miles west of Thurso out in the sticks..
So 25kgs of 'Economy Mixed' seed for £15.50, was ordered on Friday 21st and it's just arrived by AJG a few minutes ago! (650 miles and this is Christmas!)
A few details: http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com/ (http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com/)

Just off to feed the birds!

You will get an even better deal from Caithness Livestock Breeders in Sir Archibald Road, Thurso and you are shopping local. They are a great shop for all sorts of items and super for Wedding presents. Also got my Christmas tree there at best price in town.
PS I have no connection with the company!!!

bekisman
24-Dec-07, 17:13
Hi Cattach:
sounds good; what's their price for 25kgs of mixed bird seed?

Ricco
25-Dec-07, 08:06
My feeders are all full before we set off for sunny Crawley - well, wet & windy Crawley.

JAWS
25-Dec-07, 21:28
Is it just my lot or are others finding that the birds haven’t started raiding the feeders so far. There are one or two but nowhere near as many as I have seen previously. I'm wondering if they are still finding enough food in the wild.

On the Wick side, Geddes also do large sacks of mixed wild bird seed along with quite a few other varieties though I can't say with certainty about Sunflower seeds.

bekisman
27-Dec-07, 12:51
Cattach: "You will get an even better deal from Caithness Livestock Breeders in Sir Archibald Road, Thurso and you are shopping local".

Jaws: "On the Wick side, Geddes also do large sacks of mixed wild bird seed along with quite a few other varieties though I can't say with certainty about Sunflower seeds".

Right I've certainly learned something!; (bearing mind my own order was 25kgs of 'Economy Mixed' seed for £15.50 @ 62p a kg). Today I've just telephoned CLB and they tell me they do a 20kg bag of mixed wild bird seed @ £12.60 (63p a kg) AND a 20kg bag of 'mostly sunflower seeds' @ £8.50 (42.5 a kg).. Also rang Geddes and they do a 20kg 'mixed' @ £10.00 (50p a kg)!!
All I can say in my defence is being out west in the sticks our own was delivered to our door, but I think we'll be dropping into CLB and Geddes on our next trip to Tesco..

My thanks to Cattach and Jaws, I'm learning!

Cattach
27-Dec-07, 18:04
Cattach: "You will get an even better deal from Caithness Livestock Breeders in Sir Archibald Road, Thurso and you are shopping local".

Jaws: "On the Wick side, Geddes also do large sacks of mixed wild bird seed along with quite a few other varieties though I can't say with certainty about Sunflower seeds".

Right I've certainly learned something!; (bearing mind my own order was 25kgs of 'Economy Mixed' seed for £15.50 @ 62p a kg). Today I've just telephoned CLB and they tell me they do a 20kg bag of mixed wild bird seed @ £12.60 (63p a kg) AND a 20kg bag of 'mostly sunflower seeds' @ £8.50 (42.5 a kg).. Also rang Geddes and they do a 20kg 'mixed' @ £10.00 (50p a kg)!!
All I can say in my defence is being out west in the sticks our own was delivered to our door, but I think we'll be dropping into CLB and Geddes on our next trip to Tesco..

My thanks to Cattach and Jaws, I'm learning!

Glad you found the prices. I was going to check for you when I bought more this week but you have beaten me to it. Do not forget the CLB are a great shop for a huge range of goods. As I said before, no connection!!!