PDA

View Full Version : Old time toys!

karia
23-Dec-07, 21:21
:DFantastic programme on T.V just now reminded me of some long forgotten toys.

Fuzzy Felt, Spirograph and ladybird books (especially 'Cinderella' and 'Things to Make and Do'!);)

I notice the 'Janet and John' books are being reprinted for the babyboomers this christmas!

What are your memories?

karia

Forgot 'etch a sketch' and Meccano!

Julia
23-Dec-07, 21:37
Remember stickle bricks? Great fun until you trod on one LOL Fuzzy felt was great, I remember it well...

I still have my original Tiny Tears from the 70's

marlyn
23-Dec-07, 21:43
Remember stickle bricks? Great fun until you trod on one LOL Fuzzy felt was great, I remember it well...

Julia, I have stickle bricks lying all over the floor of our playroom right now! messy children.

I was teaching my 5 year old how to play guess who, quite recently with my original game, and I am quite sure that a lot of my Sindy stuff is still in the loft at my mam and dad's house, all that yellow and brown furniture - yeucch, we were not well enough off to have all the Barbie pink stuff!!

karia
23-Dec-07, 21:47

Julia...has your tiny tears got sorta grey/white hair? ...

Mine did..always thought that was strange!:confused

Tressie with the button to make her hair grow?

Do you remember a game involving straws?.....OH and I are having one of those discussions!

Oh and 'Mousetrap'.....they keep on coming back to me!:D

Happy days!

karia
23-Dec-07, 21:50
PLAYDOUGH!:lol:

Kxx

sassylass
23-Dec-07, 21:53
omg I forgot about ol Tressie, I wonder whatever happened to mine. Did anyone else play tiddlywinks, I still have my old game.

karia
23-Dec-07, 22:03
omg I forgot about ol Tressie, I wonder whatever happened to mine. Did anyone else play tiddlywinks, I still have my old game.

Most Tressie's ended up with a 'punk do'...no amount of button pressing could bring them back from the Vivienne Westwood years!

She probably developed a drug habit and is currently in the 'Priory' discussing a deal with 'Hello' magazine!;)

Sniffing playdough was her downfall!:roll:

Beetle drive anyone!

karia

bobandag16
23-Dec-07, 23:00
marbles. marbles.

cuddlepop
23-Dec-07, 23:05
I remember getting a doll called Katie Copy Cat.She came with a desk that you used to write or draw and the doll would "copy" your drawing.

Spyrograph,cant remember how it was spelt but I had great fun making loving shapes and paterns.painting with numbers was another regular favourite.:D

karia
23-Dec-07, 23:08
marbles. marbles.

Steelies and Glassies!

...and 'stars' that almost broke yer knuckles ......Peevers, clackers..

...and Chinese Ropes made o' rubber bands!:eek:

must hae a wee lie doon!;)

karia

scorrie
23-Dec-07, 23:15
Kerplunk, Buckaroo, Tommy Cooper's Just-like-that Golf game, Battling Tops, Crossfire, Weebles, Escape from Colditz, Stylophone (You can still buy them!!) and, your favourite and mine, the totally politically incorrectly named "Battling Bonkers" (settle down at the back, it was a pair of boxing robots!!

Merry Christmas!!

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 23:18
weebles and a scary jack in the box :eek:

hell raizer
23-Dec-07, 23:22
weebles and a scary jack in the box :eek:
cabbage patch doll :lol:

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 23:26
yeah mine was special I found it in a lettuce :lol: That was cute

karia
23-Dec-07, 23:27
Kerplunk, Buckaroo, Tommy Cooper's Just-like-that Golf game, Battling Tops, Crossfire, Weebles, Escape from Colditz, Stylophone (You can still buy them!!) and, your favourite and mine, the totally politically incorrectly named "Battling Bonkers" (settle down at the back, it was a pair of boxing robots!!

Merry Christmas!!

Bukaroo Scorrie!:eek:

Man there was a lesson in that for us 'grown ups'!

ye tak too much on yersel' and look whit can happin!;)

Kxx

Foxy
24-Dec-07, 00:50
My favourite was a doll i got one xmas called tippy tumbles. :D

sassylass
24-Dec-07, 01:30
marbles. marbles.

oooo marbles, I was queen of the marbles, if I do say so [lol]

My pockets would be bulging when I went home from school each day, so much that my mother sewed me a marble bag lol...I still have 2 shoe boxes full of won marbles, and one glass jarful on the coffee table. Fond memories!

I surprised the neighbour children last month, they were visiting and saw my collection, so the old lady was down on her knees giving them a lesson, gawd it's great to know I haven't lost my touch!

teddybear1873
24-Dec-07, 01:34
Monopoly, Cluedo. Still get them also and were a favourite. Meccano was another, also Connect 4, Operation, i also remeber getting the six million dollar man.

TBH
24-Dec-07, 02:44
I used to be the back garden swingball champ when I was a kid.:D
Wasn't the game with straws called kerplunk? I remember I always wanted a mister frosty but never got one.:~(

Margaret M.
24-Dec-07, 06:08
the totally politically incorrectly named "Battling Bonkers" (settle down at the back, it was a pair of boxing robots!!

That's one of the top sellers here this year. All the local stores were sold out but I finally found one on the Internet.

Sassylass, I'll be over for a game of tiddlywinks -- loved those and it made me think about Ludo another game I played a lot.

Sporran
24-Dec-07, 06:53
One of my favourite dolls when I was a kid was Sindy, and I suppose at the time (1960s) she was Britain's answer to the American Barbie doll. Mine was a blonde, but there was a brunette and auburn haired version as well. Later on, her little sister Patch came along, and Santa brought me the one with auburn hair. I used to love going to Jessie Allan's to buy outfits for them with my pocket money! :) I never did get the Paul doll, though. (Sindy's boyfriend). She dated my brother's Action Man instead! ;)

Ricco
24-Dec-07, 08:07
Slinky - yeh!

trinkie
24-Dec-07, 09:14
Christmas afternoon playing Ludo and Snakes and Ladders with the family !
Happy Families cards.
John Bull Printing set.
Syrup tin stilts - boy ! could I go !

Many years later, Penny Bricks for my children - little red blocks bigger than Lego. You could buy them a few at a time for one penny each. The grandchildren now play with them !

Happy Days !

paris
24-Dec-07, 10:28
I got a go-cart and im a girl LOL, mind you i had hours of fun up and down the road. Tiny tears used to wet her pants after she had her bottle and then there way always an annuel, dandy, beno ,blue peter, the list goes on. Another year i got a chopper bike. jan x

badger
24-Dec-07, 12:43
Mine love marbles, fuzzy felts, card games (even Patience), Pik-a-Styk (used to be called Spillikins), Beetle (big plastic ones now but as a child we had village Beetle drives filling in cards - maybe worth reviving?), and of course lots of board games. Great thing about all these - they don't need batteries :D

Anne x
24-Dec-07, 15:53
A Telephone Exchange it was bright Red

nanoo
24-Dec-07, 17:26
Does anybody remember 'Scraps' I used to love gathering sets ie:- small angel, medium sized angel and large angel. You would swap a couple of anything at all, to get 1 large angel(or whatever set you were trying to complete at the time) oh my, this is taking me back 40 odd years. I did'nt think i was that old te he.:lol:[lol]