PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Santa from A Labrador

Tilter
23-Dec-07, 17:38
Letter forwarded to Santa by Caithness Lab Rescue:

Dear Santa
This is my Xmas list; I hope you can give me everything I want.

1. Christmas day is very hectic with lots of visitors; please can you make sure my owners are not so busy they forget to take me out for my usual walks.
2. I would like new toys but I’d really like a new Kong – I can have fun for ages with it trying to get the treats out of it.
3. Can you ask my owners to be extra vigilant with all the extra food and goodies which will be there, on worktops etc – I am a Labrador after all and if the food is lying unattended then its just too tempting for me.
4. My owners and the visitors will most likely over indulge with rich food etc, please tell them don’t do that with me as it’s not good for me. Can you ask them to be very careful about chocolate and not to put chocolate decorations on the Xmas tree. It’s poisonous to dogs and my owner could well end up with an expensive trip to the Vet if I become very ill due to eating chocolate or rich foods.
5. Tell my owners to be vigilant about the turkey too as those bones can be life threatening to a dog.
6. If there are any little people coming to visit, can you make sure they don’t pull my tail or annoy me – even though I love little people and am very patient could you alert the adults.
7. I’ve been a really good Labrador all year so make sure my owners continue to give me the love, attention, exercise, stimulation and company that I get all year round.
8. Finally Santa, please could you be kind to all the other dogs too (even spaniels) and not just us beautiful Labradors.
Thank you in advance Santa from a Labrador Retriever

NB – Precautions to take in the festive season
Conceal exposed cables for fairy lights as some dogs will chew.

Mistletoe, Poinsettias and Amaryllis – keep them out of reach as they are poisonous and can cause mouth or stomach irritation. The berries from Mistletoe can be even more toxic than Poinsettias.

Raisins and grapes should not be given as they can be toxic and in some cases have caused acute kidney failure.

Torvaig
24-Dec-07, 01:04
Good advice Tilter; and just what do you mean "even spaniels"? ;)
Actually, I do know what you mean; I have one! :lol:

Tilter
24-Dec-07, 19:31
Good advice Tilter; and just what do you mean "even spaniels"? ;)
Actually, I do know what you mean; I have one! :lol:

Yup, I can see from that cheeky face on your avatar that you do. The advice was from Lab Rescue and I added the spaniel bit.

How old is your springer? We have an English cocker who is 2 years old going on 6 months. Actually she's doing very well, considering she was rehomed with us a year ago due to juvenile delinquency.

Torvaig
25-Dec-07, 00:58
He is three and a half and I've had him since he was eight weeks old. He's the first dog I've ever had and both him and me had a lot to learn about each other but we have now come to an understanding; I have my chair and he has the sofa along with anyone else who may visit! :lol:

I'm glad you are getting on well with your cocker; it's worth the effort isn't it? Cheers....

Tilter
25-Dec-07, 17:01
Hi Torvaig
Merry Christmas to you and that springer. I'm glad you know your place. We have one old couch in the kitchen ours is allowed on when we're not looking and two in the living room she's not allowed on. She knows these rules fine well but tests the living room rule continually. She thinks I'll get tired of it eventually but I won't.

Dadie
27-Dec-07, 20:01
Warning
Leftover sprouts can make your lab very antisocial (we found out the hard way)

carasmam
27-Dec-07, 20:34
Ooh err. :eek: Better get Carolyne to put that on the list next year :lol:

Phoenix200416
09-Jan-08, 21:55
2. I would like new toys but I’d really like a new Kong – I can have fun for ages with it trying to get the treats out of it.
3. Can you ask my owners to be extra vigilant with all the extra food and goodies which will be there, on worktops etc – I am a Labrador after all and if the food is lying unattended then its just too tempting for me.

I have to agree with these! My lab x loves his Kong toy, though I had to upgrade to a black one because the red one wasn't strong enough for his use!

Food is the one fool proof way to get his attention. I could scream blue murder and he would completely ignore me. However, rustle a sweet packet in my pocket and he is sitting at my feet with my complete attention. His stomach rules over everything!

Tilter
11-Jan-08, 22:43
I have to agree with these! My lab x loves his Kong toy, though I had to upgrade to a black one because the red one wasn't strong enough for his use!

Yup. The Kong is the No. 1 toy in our house too - even when there's nothing in it it's apparently still worth a good chew.

Phoenix200416
11-Jan-08, 23:35
Yup. The Kong is the No. 1 toy in our house too - even when there's nothing in it it's apparently still worth a good chew.

Kongs rule. Milo must think that maybe if he chews it long enough even when its empty something might still pop out. He's lives in hope. :lol: