PDA

View Full Version : New Year. How will you see it in?

karia
22-Dec-07, 22:26
Okay..looks like we are all thinking ahead!

New Year...how do you kick out the old and welcome in the new?

Love it or hate it?

Fireworks seem to be the order of the day round here!:roll:

Karia

stekar
22-Dec-07, 22:30
I'll be in me bed at midnight, boring I know!

riggerboy
22-Dec-07, 22:32
large dram and small but well loved family,

botheed
22-Dec-07, 22:32
in ma kip. i hate it

karia
22-Dec-07, 22:33
Not at all boring stekar

That is one of my all time preferred options!:D

karia

angela5
22-Dec-07, 22:35
In my bed, i hate new year.

Highland Laddie
22-Dec-07, 22:37
Working right through Christmas,
but hope to get home in time to take in the bells for the New Year.

johno
22-Dec-07, 22:38
Well were fixin on going down to the street party, But that,s what we were going to do last year and the weather got so bad that we just hit the sack instead. So lets let the weather decide again.????

the charlatans
22-Dec-07, 22:38
Is this the 'We hate New Year' club? can i join then please.

I hope to spend it in my bed.

unicorn
22-Dec-07, 22:45
I may pop into the org to say happy new year but otherwise bed too, I really cant be bothered with drunk people visiting who you dont see the whole year round :roll:

NLP
22-Dec-07, 23:04
We'll be in bed, too old for all that carry on now.

hell raizer
22-Dec-07, 23:05
i will be going to my bed as well :)

karia
22-Dec-07, 23:20
I think this is marvellous :

'Hell raizer' wants to spend New year in bed and.....

........'The Angel of Death' is looking for eggnog recipes!:eek:

The streets are way too safe this year!

What's the 'Devil Incarnate' doing....baking scones?:lol:

karia

hell raizer
22-Dec-07, 23:28
well i say im going to my bed every year but we usually end up taking the bells in, i suppose old habits die hard :lol:

horseman
22-Dec-07, 23:29
God willing,my brother will first foot us , an him an me will proceed to get totaly sloshed(must be polite on the org) We shall be deserted by all kith an kin!they know what we are like;) I think we spend all the remaining hours putting the world to rights!Damm good fun but! would'ent miss it for the world:)
Merry Christmas an happy new year to all on the org.

WeeBurd
22-Dec-07, 23:31
I shall be fondly remembering the predicament I was in three years ago to the very night - only this time I'll be using alcohol to slightly numb the senses, not pethadine!![lol]

karia
22-Dec-07, 23:37
I shall be fondly remembering the predicament I was in three years ago to the very night - only this time I'll be using alcohol to slightly numb the senses, not pethadine!![lol]

Ah weebs..A birthday to wake up to then!

What a lovely start to the year!:)

karia

WeeBurd
22-Dec-07, 23:44
Ah weebs..A birthday to wake up to then!

What a lovely start to the year!:)

karia

Indeed - International WeeBurdie Day![lol]

Julia
22-Dec-07, 23:50
I used to find new year very depressing, watching all the celebrations on telly made me feel worse, oh look everybody is having a great time except you [disgust]

These days I am not too bothered, it's just another day!

DeHaviLand
23-Dec-07, 02:05
We're having a beach party!!! Yes, I did say a beach party. Fireworks, bonfire, food and drink, and with about 300 attending. And just in case you get the wrong idea, I'm on the Black Isle, not some exotic island just south of the equator. Afterwards, I'll be driving to my parents, where all the family meet, and where I havent been for 4 years.

paris
23-Dec-07, 10:19
We used to have wicked partys when we had the farmhouse but since then im afraid were boring and i just sit there watching the new year in on my own thinking of all my pals who have now left this earth. ( OH goes to bed ) Oh how exciting ! jan x

Angela
23-Dec-07, 11:55
In bed.....and hopefully asleep, although it can be noisy here. :roll:

The best Hogmanay parties I've been to were all south of the border....way back in the 70s and 80s....but I've never really liked New Year.

candyfloss
23-Dec-07, 12:57
Right now i feel like taking it in watching the telly and just going to bed, i can't be bothered with it.
But i have a feeling i'll prob end up at the Wick street party. :roll:

nanoo
23-Dec-07, 13:50
It's bed for us too i'm afraid. When we were younger, it was Party, Party, Party, for days. It's true what they say, as you get older you get wiser. I'll bet most of those going to bed can testify to that.;)

helenwyler
23-Dec-07, 14:22
I'm definitely old enough to know better....but we'll be seeing the New Year in as usual with old friends, either in the garden listening to the Abbey bells with a sparkler in one hand and a glass of bubbly in the other, or if it's raining, inside with party poppers and and the chimes of Big Ben, courtesy of Radio 4!:) There'll be quite a few changes for us next year, and we intend to welcome them in.

We have other friends who regularly turn up just before midnight with a lump of coal, some salt and a loaf of bread, traditional gifts to ensure a New Year without want...I'd be worried if they didn't turn up.

When I was a student, I lived far away from uni friends, and parents in those days were not as obliging with lifts as we are now. Many's the time I sat up alone watching Kenneth McKellar and Andy Stewart on the BBC Hogmanay programme. It wasn't my kind of thing lol, but the only way to feel part of something live when your parents are being 'wise' and have gone to bed!

I have a dim memory of my only Scottish Hogmanay party about 30 years ago, where the best game was jumping off wardrobes into a sea of people promising to catch you...the dimness of the memory being largely due to alcoholic amnesia I think!;)

Loch not Lock
23-Dec-07, 14:23
Street party next to the toon clock is a must even though I have been forced to give alcohol completely. Please feel sorry for me as been an alcoholic for nearly forty years and it's going to be difficult being convivial whilst sober.

Margaret M.
23-Dec-07, 15:45
been an alcoholic for nearly forty years and it's going to be difficult being convivial whilst sober.

Good for you, stay strong and stay sober!

Margaret M.
23-Dec-07, 15:49
I've done my share of New Year's Eve partying through the years but now I like a nice, quiet dinner at home since the prices in restaurants on that night are totally outrageous.

Thumper
23-Dec-07, 15:57
I am going to be in bed too....cant be bothered staying up for the bells,its not like it used to be :) x

hobbes1962
23-Dec-07, 16:47
I'm working - a 12 hour shift over the bells. Nice:confused

cuddlepop
23-Dec-07, 17:01
It looks like I'm not such an odd bob afterall,I too would much rather go to bed and forget about the bells
Its sems I'm in very good company.;)

I use to love New Years growing up in a tenament in Glasgow.Those day's are long gone and anyone in search of the traditional highland ceilidh over here would be hard pressed too find what there looking for .

paris
23-Dec-07, 18:26
Street party next to the toon clock is a must even though I have been forced to give alcohol completely. Please feel sorry for me as been an alcoholic for nearly forty years and it's going to be difficult being convivial whilst sober.
Well done you ! Ive had to give up the drink through tablets but i still have a great time, You dont need it to enjoy a good night out. Be strong. jan x

Max
23-Dec-07, 18:48
I'm going to Disneyland for new year for some magical family fun!!

Looby2K7
23-Dec-07, 20:18
No doubt watch same usuall crap on tv then take in the bells and head to bed....wishing there was a babysitter brave enough to look after my lot so i could be out having fun....:D

Loch not Lock
23-Dec-07, 20:20
Thank you both for your support. It is most appreciated. Still fancy a dram but I won't give in now after being completely dry for six weeks. For the last forty years I've never been sober for six hours. Still managed to work efficiently without anybody knowing I'd already drunk at least a bottle of vodka. Only a hospital scare gave me the strength to give up.

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 20:37
well done to you loch, I dont know you but I am proud of you, Its hard to do but do it for your family, it will mean more to them than you could ever imagine. When you feel weak and you will for sure, drop in and say hi someone is always around for a blether in the chatroom. Keep it up.

horseman
23-Dec-07, 23:15
We'll be in bed, too old for all that carry on now.

Don't like that at all:(;)

oldmarine
23-Dec-07, 23:19
Quietly at home with my wife and in bed. I believe that is the safest place to be.

karia
23-Dec-07, 23:21
ye an me horseman!

We will kick the old mule out..and welcome the New foal in!;)

yer old/new pal!:lol:

kariax

Loch not Lock
23-Dec-07, 23:21
Thank you and have a wee drink yourself.
Happy Christmas.

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 23:23
An irn bru maybe :D cold with ice

kev bev
24-Dec-07, 00:20
im going 2 dublin 4 new year 2 be with gf woo cant wait its magic over ere!!!!!

htwood
24-Dec-07, 00:31

Good for you, Loch not Lock. It will be different this year, but I dont feel sorry for you, I feel glad for you. Stay strong.

wifie
24-Dec-07, 03:16
Loch not Lock - all the very best to you! Please come in here and find someone if you are tempted - be strong man you are doin great!

SNOWDOG
24-Dec-07, 15:26
Am working Xmas and New year. Hope you all have a good time and i hope i dont meet any of you! :)

jm.mack
24-Dec-07, 15:35
Stuck offshore........Out here for Xmas & New Year but home for a month on the 4th of January, yahoooooooooo!

weedom
24-Dec-07, 15:46
But from the sounds of you lot it'll just be me and the band!!

airdlass
24-Dec-07, 16:11
Working over New Year so it will be a very quiet time for me.

peedie
24-Dec-07, 20:31
i'm thinking i might head out to the street party. depends on the weather but it'll take a lot to stop me! no drink for me due to all the medication i'm on. but i'm keen for a good party anywhere i can find one [lol]

Hibeechick
24-Dec-07, 22:36
Im going to be at a mates bar for a private function on the Royal Mile. Looking forward to it so much! More excited about new year than christmas

Loch not Lock
25-Dec-07, 12:25
Happy Christmas everyone with a special thanks to fellow forumites who have given me support in stopping the demon drink and enabling me to kick the bottle instead of the bucket.:)

Rheghead
25-Dec-07, 13:21
Is there anything going on in Reay village hall?:confused

unicorn
25-Dec-07, 13:21
kicking the bottle is definately more pleasurable loch :D Have a great day

oldmarine
26-Dec-07, 03:49
Happy Christmas everyone with a special thanks to fellow forumites who have given me support in stopping the demon drink and enabling me to kick the bottle instead of the bucket.:)

Giving up the demon drink is quite an accomplishment. That is something worth giving thanks for.

:lol:

midi2304
26-Dec-07, 20:01
I'm DJing in Espionage in Aberdeen :( Will be able to drink but not the same.

Wish I was up in Thurso for the street party. Oh well.

unicorn
26-Dec-07, 20:03
well this is day 3 of my headache, so I may as well have been partaking over xmas :roll: maybe I would have had a fine head then :eek:

Ricco
26-Dec-07, 22:16
Sans hang over, I hope. ;)

Whitewater
26-Dec-07, 23:22
It will be on with the kilt and down to the street party with my wife until about 2am. You meet people there that you havn't met for years. Then drop into my daughters on the way home for some tea and black bun (maybe a small drop whisky in the tea)
Then home to bed, a lot of work next day with several friends, my daughter, son in law and grandsons all arriving for dinner about 5pm. It is always a wonderfull day. Unfortunately this year my son, his wife and family are unable to be with us.

Wellies
27-Dec-07, 02:47
Hopefully in a friends shed for Hogmanay but sober and driving. (Don't ask) Then shooting on New Years Day and serving dinner for about 10 people that night. Then lots of drink yippee.

anneoctober
27-Dec-07, 23:41
Having read all the comments on this thread I was reassured at first that I was n't the only one who can't stand New Year :roll: Then I got to thinking about the reason why, apart from the old chestnut that you can have New Year almost any day of the week now, I've come to the conclusion that I miss my mam & dad and all their friends, for the stories, singing and playing the piano/spoons/ moothie or reciting an owld verse or two. The fun and laughter that are so sadly missing nowadays. Having said that, Geo and I are planning the Street party for the first time weather permitting - and hopefully Geo will stick to e spoons....... [lol]

hell raizer
28-Dec-07, 00:02
Having read all the comments on this thread I was reassured at first that I was n't the only one who can't stand New Year :roll: Then I got to thinking about the reason why, apart from the old chestnut that you can have New Year almost any day of the week now, I've come to the conclusion that I miss my mam & dad and all their friends, for the stories, singing and playing the piano/spoons/ moothie or reciting an owld verse or two. The fun and laughter that are so sadly missing nowadays. Having said that, Geo and I are planning the Street party for the first time weather permitting - and hopefully Geo will stick to e spoons....... [lol]
i know what you mean, its not the same without the old ones.

CFM
28-Dec-07, 11:51
we'll be braodcasting right throught to 2.00am then I'm sure some of my fellow presenters will be persuaded to join us for a dram. we'll also be ar the Thurso street party doing links back to the studio (if we can get a mobile phone signal!) so if you have no plans for hogmanay join us on 102.5!

Happy New Year to everyone

Fran
29-Dec-07, 04:45
I would love to be first footed but it never seems to happen. Last year I was at the street party going around with a collection tin!! I was there the year before too. I hope to go this year again but mustnt get cold, so if the weather is bad, i will have to stay in.

Hibeechick
29-Dec-07, 12:26

We have that every year at my grans.

Pipes, fiddles, accordians, keyboards, singers, highland dancing, scottish dancing...

We've been doing it for years and always will. Wouldn't be new year without all that. Even though this year ill be away ill still miss that part of it!

cropper
30-Dec-07, 14:59
Every one going to bed for New Year. How times have changed. I can remember when i was a child i loved New Year you got to stay up late and the house was full of people Not any more. Where have those day's gone?

trix
30-Dec-07, 17:04
ma hogmany is e same every year an i widna change it for e world, il go up til e auld chiles an then we'l go oer til his auld chiles an take e bells in wi him an his auld woman. more food an drink than ye can shake a stick at.

just wursels an ma mither, as ma brithers hev played off at new year for as long as i can remember - da tell anyone but e auld chile hes a tear in his eye (every year) thinkin aboot his bies :roll:

efter a few drams e auld stories that we hear every year gets an airin an then we sing all e auld scottish songs at full belt. ma mither politely splits e scene aboot iss time cos she disna ken e words - so she says...! i ken e real reason tho :lol:

then me an ma dad will stagger back oer e rod airm in airm, drunks as skunks an as happy as larry....

pie man
30-Dec-07, 17:12
Ill be at a party , poping party popers =Þ
then of cource the fireworks you can't miss them :)

Loch not Lock
30-Dec-07, 17:51
With difficulty I got through Christmas without alcohol and am determined to do the same at New Year.
Then its the long day-by-day slog through 2008. Good luck and good health to others in the same predicament.:confused:)

south view 7
30-Dec-07, 20:33
Good for you loch just remember to take it "one day at a time" and remember bill w. & dr.bob..........

scorrie
31-Dec-07, 02:15
With difficulty I got through Christmas without alcohol and am determined to do the same at New Year.
Then its the long day-by-day slog through 2008. Good luck and good health to others in the same predicament.:confused:)

Stay with it as best as you can. One of my friends spent 19 years on the drink but for the last 20 years of his life he never put a drop over his lips and was a better man for it.

Good luck, I'll be in my bed and loving my family just as much without the need for a party or a dram.

Anne x
31-Dec-07, 02:23

Good Luck to you and a very Happy & Healthy 2008 all the orgers are on your side
I am lucky this year I have had a surprise , family arrived from overseas today but not everyone in this position I am blessed
Ax

Margaret M.
31-Dec-07, 02:39
Way to go, Loch, resist the temptation with everything you've got. A happy, sober New Year to you and to everyone.

sassylass
31-Dec-07, 04:20
We'll spend time with friends, have some dinner, then be home before the drunks come out. Maybe we'll see midnight.

Big Birdie
31-Dec-07, 12:28
Hello and very best wishes for 2008 to you all. I will be at 37000 ft over the South Atlantic on my way home...so just a cuppa tea for me at the bells! Not managed to get o'er the Ord much last year. So my resolution is to correct that.

Angela
31-Dec-07, 12:41
Hello Big Birdie, :) Welcome to the Org!

Have a safe flight home and a good New Year. :D