PDA

View Full Version : The collapse of Travelscope

golach
22-Dec-07, 21:20
Has anyone been caught out by this company going into administration?
Well I have, got my tickets and travel details in the post for a trip to the Rhineland for Hogmanay on Thursday, with my wife and my brother and his wife. All payed for, luckily enough by credit card so we will recoup that money ok. And the company are in ABTA, who say we will get our money back.
To say we are upset is putting it very mildly, I turned on the TV this morning for some reason ( I never usually do on a Saturday), only to hear the announcer say Travelscope had gone into administration.
What we are mainly upset at is that we have had to try all over again, to get booked up for another break, as its only a week away, that is nigh on impossible. But we have managed to get booked up for Hogmanay in a hotel in England, would not have been our first choice, well it wasn't was it? lol
But no doubt we will enjoy ourselves, and in time come to laugh at today.

karia
22-Dec-07, 21:48
Hi golach,

Noticed some folk got little or no warning that their holidays were cancelled..shocking behaviour!

Nice as it is that most will get a full refund..that's not really good enough is it?!!

karia

horseman
23-Dec-07, 00:09
Hard luck golach..bad timing ,hope you can rebook to suit:)

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 00:14
Golach you should have gotten a cheap flight to Spain and gone on the sangria for the new year [lol]

Mik.M.
23-Dec-07, 00:41
sorry to hear it golach, sure you will have a good time wherever you go. At least you will get your money back and could always go with another company another time.

DeHaviLand
23-Dec-07, 02:01
Sorry to hear that Golach. Rhineland is such a beautiful part of the world. I spent 3 weeks in Bacharach, and the richness of the surrounding area left me awestruck. I hope you get the chance to go to that area again, I'm sure you would love it.

Moira
23-Dec-07, 02:08
Bad luck G. Hope you enjoy your break anyway. :D

Cattach
23-Dec-07, 11:10
Well I have, got my tickets and travel details in the post for a trip to the Rhineland for Hogmanay on Thursday, with my wife and my brother and his wife. All payed for, luckily enough by credit card so we will recoup that money ok. And the company are in ABTA, who say we will get our money back.
To say we are upset is putting it very mildly, I turned on the TV this morning for some reason ( I never usually do on a Saturday), only to hear the announcer say Travelscope had gone into administration.
What we are mainly upset at is that we have had to try all over again, to get booked up for another break, as its only a week away, that is nigh on impossible. But we have managed to get booked up for Hogmanay in a hotel in England, would not have been our first choice, well it wasn't was it? lol

Sorry form you but not half as sorry as the poor ordinary employees who have lost not just a holiday but a job just before Christmas and no refund for them.

Angela
23-Dec-07, 11:26
Golach, I do hope that you and Mrs G will enjoy your break south of the border, even though it's not what you were looking forward to.

I sympathise too with the folk who had a holiday booked to leave before Christmas, and have made no plans for a Christmas at home.

Most of all though I feel for the 200 employees who have lost their jobs at this time of year. :( It may not be as easy to find an a new job as an alternative holiday.

golach
23-Dec-07, 11:37
Most of all though I feel for the 200 employees who have lost their jobs at this time of year. :( It may not be as easy to find an a new job as an alternative holiday.
Angela, it comes without saying, that I am dreadfully sorry for the employees, of Travelscope and the loss of their jobs,I would show my sympathy to the rest of the travel business that have been affected by this collapse, The Bus drivers, the Ferry operators, the Hotel owners, the list could go on and on, the knock on effect is endless :(

Angela
23-Dec-07, 11:48
Angela, it comes without saying, that I am dreadfully sorry for the employees, of Travelscope and the loss of their jobs,I would show my sympathy to the rest of the travel business that have been affected by this collapse, The Bus drivers, the Ferry operators, the Hotel owners, the list could go on and on, the knock on effect is endless :(

That's very true, golach, and it does seem worse at this time of year. I was really sad to hear of the closure of the Lemon Tree venue in Aberdeen - attempts by the staff to raise money to save it have failed, so that's another 50 people who won't be having a very happy Christmas....:(

Sorry - I know I've gone a bit OT here -just feel so sorry for these folk and their families....and I'm sure you do too.

highlander2222
23-Dec-07, 15:04

Stay in scotland and WATCH the HIBEES

porshiepoo
23-Dec-07, 15:09

Where abouts in England?
Ir may not have been your first choice but I'm sure you'll enjoy it all the same. It's not the place that counts but the people you have around you.

Have a great time.

cuddlepop
23-Dec-07, 16:36
Glad you found an alternative holiday.I'm sure you and your's will have a great time.

It may be time for celebration's but I'm sure they'll be thin on the ground with al these people being made redundant.
It's certainly knocked the spirit out of ours:(

Our own arts centre went into receivership last month with a loss of 9 jobs.Island Outdoors closed its doors this month and a long standing hardware store will close this month.
Whose say's there's not a recession looming.:~(

Sporran
24-Dec-07, 08:16
Sorry to hear that Golach. Rhineland is such a beautiful part of the world. I spent 3 weeks in Bacharach, and the richness of the surrounding area left me awestruck. I hope you get the chance to go to that area again, I'm sure you would love it.

Bacharach is indeed very picturesque. Having lived in the Rhineland at one time, we went to Bacharach on several occasions. (Didn't bump into Burt, though! ;) ) The whole Upper Middle Rhine Valley is lovely, with its many castles and quaint small towns and villages. If it's any consolation, Golach, I think you might enjoy going there even more in the spring or summer, if that is a possibility.

badger
24-Dec-07, 12:57
This is very unseasonal of me, but is it too much to hope that the directors of these companies are suffering financially as much as their employees? I never quite understand how they keep on going until the very last minute with disaster staring them in the face (see also Northern Rock). Did the Travelscope finance director (if they had one) really think they could somehow keep going over Christmas? Was there no advance warning? Were they all asleep? Or relying on Santa coming early?

golach
13-Feb-08, 12:10
Great news, Abta has now paid us back in full, Phew, we thought that was going to be it written off.:(

Sporran
13-Feb-08, 19:03
Great news, Abta has now paid us back in full, Phew, we thought that was going to be it written off.:(

Glad to hear it, golach! Just in time for buying your wife something nice for Valentine's Day! ;)

golach
14-Feb-08, 00:12
Glad to hear it, golach! Just in time for buying your wife something nice for Valentine's Day! ;)
Sporran, sweetness, you already know my opinion of St V's day, Bah Humbug does not even equate, [lol]

Sporran
14-Feb-08, 06:40
Sporran, sweetness, you already know my opinion of St V's day, Bah Humbug does not even equate, [lol]

Oooh, you *are* awful, golach! But I *like* you! :lol: