PDA

View Full Version : What do you call it?

Buttercup
22-Dec-07, 20:00
Are you a hog or a hug? I've always said hogmanay but BBC Scotland insist on saying hugmanay. Just wondered what others call it.:lol:

alanatkie
22-Dec-07, 20:02
Well i definetly say hogmanay

Ash
22-Dec-07, 20:15
hogmany, never heard anyone say the other but thats just me! :D

karia
22-Dec-07, 20:16
Yup.. I'm a hog!:lol:

unicorn
22-Dec-07, 20:48
Hogmanay, Hugmanay may be Glasgow or Aberdeen I suppose

starry
22-Dec-07, 20:49
Hog here too

Andrew C
22-Dec-07, 21:33
I'm an Ayrshire lad....it would have to be HUGmonay.

karia
22-Dec-07, 21:37

I don't like to hug money...

...it leaves marks on my dress and makes me look greedy!:eek:

Karia

Andrew C
22-Dec-07, 21:38
I don't like to hug money...

...it leaves marks on my dress and makes me look greedy!:eek:

Karia

I've never got any money to hug! :o)

karia
22-Dec-07, 21:40
I've never got any money to hug! :o)

I can dream..can't I?..;) so can you Andrew!

Karia

Torvaig
22-Dec-07, 21:53
How about the vernacular "Howgmanay"?

karia
22-Dec-07, 21:54

Sorry Torvaig..makes you sound drunk!;)

karia

Torvaig
22-Dec-07, 22:02
Nah Karia; that's the Caithness dialect pronunciation; you'll just have to practise! ;)

karia
22-Dec-07, 22:05
Nah Karia; that's the Caithness dialect pronunciation; you'll just have to practise! ;)

Working on it....ifanow!:lol:

Kxx

Torvaig
22-Dec-07, 22:06
Weel done Karia; go girl........:lol:

the charlatans
22-Dec-07, 22:13
I'm the with the hog.

superted
22-Dec-07, 22:27
Defo hog!:lol::lol:

golach
22-Dec-07, 22:47
According to the Dictionary of Scot Language it can be for Hog or Hug

Hogmanay, n. Also .hogmana(e); hogminay, -ae, hogmenay, -ai, hogmynae, hoguemennay, hogmonay, -ey; hagmenay, -ai, hagmané; hug-me-nay (:] . The 31st December, the last day of the year, New Year's Eve. Gen.Sc. Also found in some n.Eng. dials.

angela5
22-Dec-07, 22:50
Hog, never heard anyone say hug.

lady penelope
22-Dec-07, 22:52
Hog for me as well. I like hugs though ;)

karia
22-Dec-07, 22:59
Hog for me as well. I like hugs though

Aye..ye don't hear folks calling for a 'group hog'!:D

Not most folks anyway......but there's always northener!;)

karia

NLP
22-Dec-07, 23:02
I'm with the Hogs

Moira
22-Dec-07, 23:14

At'll do me Torvaig. A howp ye "howg manay" ower e' nixt week or so.

Div ye mind e' perties we went til' a few years ago - ach weel - mibbe no'. A can hardly mind thum masel' ;)

horseman
22-Dec-07, 23:35

I had formed an opion on that ,but Torvaig's post put me all the way back on it,its definately howgmanay:D

WeeBurd
22-Dec-07, 23:53
It must be my posh upbringing, lol, I'm a "Hog" not a "Howg" [lol].

Torvaig
23-Dec-07, 01:11
At'll do me Torvaig. A howp ye "howg manay" ower e' nixt week or so.

Div ye mind e' perties we went til' a few years ago - ach weel - mibbe no'. A can hardly mind thum masel' ;)

Oh ah mind thum richt enough; 'at wiz a long time ago wiz id no! Mibbe hid's aboot time ah came back til 'er; we could resurrect thum an' hit 'e high spots o' Week agane....weel mibbe no; ah dinna think hid could take 'id now and ah certainly couldna hit 'e high notes o' yin songs way used til belt oot goan doon 'e Cliff; chist as weel a think.....thanks for 'e memory! :lol:

Moira
23-Dec-07, 01:42
Cum hame Torvaig. Ah'll sing if ye do yon thing on top o' e walls in Thirsa rod, e' nicht we coulda' get a taxi :eek:

Torvaig
23-Dec-07, 01:47
Cum hame Torvaig. Ah'll sing if ye do yon thing on top o' e walls in Thirsa rod, e' nicht we coulda' get a taxi :eek:

Oh heck, ah still hev 'e scar o' 'at one Moira; ah still blush when ah think o' hid! Is 'e sign post still 'ere ah winder.....:lol:

Anyway, a richt guid Howgmanay til ee aal!

Angela
23-Dec-07, 12:01
I'm a HUG -when I was a wee girl I thought it was "hug ma knee"...and wondered why????? :roll:

nanoo
23-Dec-07, 13:43

Hi Andrew, i have to agree with you, i'm Ayrshire born and bred and it has always been hugmonay for me as well.:roll: Mind you, some Ayrshire folks like to give and get hugs Te He.;)

peedie man
23-Dec-07, 15:57
Got to be howgmaney:roll:

Looby2K7
23-Dec-07, 20:34
Well im a hogmany but hugmany could be quite appropriate seeing as you go round hugging everyone wishing them a happy new year..:D

unicorn
23-Dec-07, 20:46
nothing like xmas and new year to spread coldsores [lol]

Julia
23-Dec-07, 21:46
Hogmanay for me too!

horseman
23-Dec-07, 23:08
Another fond memory, being in someones house an them pouring you a shot glass,full to the brim-then saying 'will you take anything in it':):roll:

karia
23-Dec-07, 23:10
Another fond memory, being in someones house an them pouring you a shot glass,full to the brim-then saying 'will you take anything in it':roll:

Class in a glass!;)

kxx

Buttercup
23-Dec-07, 23:21
Another fond memory, being in someones house an them pouring you a shot glass,full to the brim-then saying 'will you take anything in it'
Yip, every hoose had them. The wee glass with the picture of a piper or scenes of Scotland on them. hey seem to be a thing of the past now. When I started first footan' you had to drink whisky (or sherry for the ladies) or bring your own with you. :( That's why I changed from vodka to whisky ~ everyone would take a dram from me but they could never give me one back! [lol]