PDA

View Full Version : Caithness folk pop-up everywhere!

superted
21-Dec-07, 21:07
A year or so ago I went on my first trip to America with work. It was a small place in Virginia called Hampton. On one of the many nights out I pushed my way to get a drink in a busy bar, while waiting for my drink....there it was, a caithness accent!! :lol:
After chatting to the bloke, I found out he was from Lybster and was taking his fishing boat down to Bermuda and had stopped in Hampton because the weather was bad!

What a small world!!:lol:

In what strange places have you bumped into a friendly caithness voice???

paris
21-Dec-07, 22:57
In my local Tescos store before i actually moved up there. There i was all excited , telling the cashier we were moving to caithness and the lady behind me in the que said i used to live there , She was a born and bred scot but said she liked it in Boston better. Dont know why !!! jan x

Julia
22-Dec-07, 01:17
We bumped into someone from Caithness slap bank in the middle of Benidorm, and there was even a couple who live in the same street on the flight back from Gatwick!

Jeemag_USA
22-Dec-07, 01:59
If anyone is ever in Indianapolis and hears someone in the checkout line cursing everyone in the store because they can't buy beer on a sunday or a holiday, its probably me [lol]

fender
22-Dec-07, 09:28
On our family holiday in Cyprus this year we were visting a wee village in the middle of no where. My wife, who is from Kirkwall, disappeared into a souvenir shop and surprise surprise the lady who served her had lived in Kirkwall for 5 years in the 80's. The world is a small place!!

Hibeechick
22-Dec-07, 09:54
In the middle of Edmonton shopping mall in Canada. In the changing rooms of the swimming pool when someone stopped us and asked if we were from Caithness. She used to live in Thurso.

unicorn
22-Dec-07, 11:33
I met my old college tutor in a cafe in peurto pollensa in Majorca and met a few people I knew in the airport in Bodrum this year, Very strange :lol:

heather11
23-Dec-07, 15:20
When we were in Cyprus 2 years ago. My husband and boys were in the pool when a woman stopped and asked if the boys were from Caithness. She recognised the accent as they were from Brora! Small world.

Thumper
23-Dec-07, 15:59
When we were in Canada we were in a bar and met a guy who's brother lives in Thurso!...he wanted to know what was happening in Coronation street [lol] x

oldmarine
23-Dec-07, 23:45
If anyone is ever in Indianapolis and hears someone in the checkout line cursing everyone in the store because they can't buy beer on a sunday or a holiday, its probably me [lol]

Jeemag_USA: I lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana for several years when we could not buy beer on Sundays. That law changed many years ago. You should now be able to buy a beer or any other alcoholic drink on Sunday or holiday. Times have changed. :lol:

lynne duncan
24-Dec-07, 00:00
standing in the queue to get into disneyworld, dad taps guy in front on the shoulder, dad used to work with him in florida. once in disneyworld sitting at one of their food areas dad goes and blethers to the lad at the next table, the lad had checked dad's hearing in inverness the previous month!,

on the way to majorca had my british purse stolen thankfully all travellers cheques and passport in other purse, got everything cancelled, but was fretting about getting home as railcard had been pinched, but once in majorca, found family from thurso who were going home on same flight and they kindly gave us a lift home from glasgow, a very small world indeed!