PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Required Please M'mmmm

brokencross
21-Dec-07, 21:04
When I was younger (many, many moons ago) my mam used to make mince and ham sandwiches and they were delicious.
I presume that this delicacy is of Caithness origin as we were not a well travelled family at that time.
Due to the passage of time and her aged years she cannot remember how she used to make it. I know it involved mince, ham, breadcrumbs and maybe some other stuff, being steamed for ages but don't know any quantities or any other info. When finished it was like a very rich, moist, mouthwatering meat paste.

So please get asking your mams or grannys, do they have the recipe for good old Mince and Ham?

Many thanks

Buttercup
21-Dec-07, 21:47
My mum still makes this!
Equal quantities of minced beef (raw) and smoked bacon (she gets the butcher to mince them together for her) and add some (approx 2-3 slices)breadcrumbs. Add a beaten egg and mix well. you can add seasonings but remember the bacon will be salty. Put into a pudding bowl ~ press it down well ~ and put on lid (or tie greaseproof & tinfoil as a lid on top) and steam for 1-2 hrs. You can also cook it in the oven by setting the dish in a baking tin of water.
Once cooked, leave in bowl til cold and then put into fridge. When ready to serve just turn out and slice it up.
Hope this is the one you want. Enjoy!:lol:

canuck
21-Dec-07, 22:02
I have an old Highland Cookbook that I purloined from my mother when I was moving here.

I have found a recipe for something called Ayrshire Galantine - but have no idea what it is doing in a Highland Cookbook. Oh well! Here goes:

1 lb. Canadian style bacon (good place to start)
1 lb. lean round steak
2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon mace
Pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 bay leaf, 1 sprig parsley

Remove skin, fat, bone, and gristle from meat. Mince or grind meat together. Mix with crumbs, salt, nutmeg, mace and pepper. Mix in beaten eggs. Add a few spoonfuls of water, if necessary, to moisten mixture enough to hold together. Turn onto lightly floured board, and form into a roll.

Tie or sew the roll of meat securely in a floured pudding cloth. Place in a pan half full of boiling water. Add the carrots, onion, bay leaf and parsley. Cover tightly. Simmer gently for two hours.

Place the galantine on a plate, cover with another plate, and weigh it down with a brick. Refrigerate overnight. Next day, remove weights and cloth. Brush galantine with a glaze of gelatin. Refrigerate until set.

Good luck.

brokencross
22-Dec-07, 08:29
Buttercup and Canuck, I cannot thank you enough.
I vaguely remember watching my mam make it and now I've seen it in writing it has all come flooding back to me, especially the bit about pressing it in to a pudding bowl.
I'll go and get my apron on straight away. Watch this space for a verdict.

Buttercup
22-Dec-07, 15:39
All this talk of Meat Roll is making me fancy one now! :lol:

brokencross
23-Jan-08, 09:27
Buttercup, My wife made the mince and ham using your recipe, (minus the egg as we didn't want it sliceable, just a paste). It was truly scrumptious, thank you.

Buttercup
23-Jan-08, 19:53
Glad you enjoyed it. I must get round to making some myself, it's been ages!:lol: