PDA

View Full Version : Text and Voice Recognition Software

Rheghead
19-Dec-07, 21:12
I've tried both text and voice recognition software for transering old written data to Word processors but I have found that they make far too many mistakes, I may as well have typed out the document myself and I infrequently do so. So much now I have largely given up.

The claim with voice recognition is 98%, as if!

Has anyone experimented with this and got them to work?:confused

badger
19-Dec-07, 22:41
We tried voice recognition when I was working (few years ago) but found it very inaccurate even after time spent training it to recognise individual voices. Think that's half the problem - it can't cope with speech variations.

Bobinovich
19-Dec-07, 23:37
Same sort of problem experienced with OCR software - by the time you've fixed all the errors you'd have been quicker re-typing it.

I did hear of someone in Thurso who genuinely did get 98% accuracy but only after years of continuous use by a single person.

Kenn
19-Dec-07, 23:40
Had exactly the same problems here despite my hubbie spending hours chatting to the thing, in the end he gave up on it too.

oldmarine
20-Dec-07, 05:36
I've tried both text and voice recognition software for transering old written data to Word processors but I have found that they make far too many mistakes, I may as well have typed out the document myself and I infrequently do so. So much now I have largely given up.

The claim with voice recognition is 98%, as if!

Has anyone experimented with this and got them to work?:confused

Looks like we have a long way to go with this latest technology before it is perfected.

Mr_Me19
20-Dec-07, 08:39
I used to use the voice recognition a lot and had quite a high level of success (above 90%) but then my voice broke and now it just doens't work for me.... :( I really need to retrain it.

Ash
20-Dec-07, 10:30
i use it alot and it works alot of the time on my laptop

Rheghead
16-Feb-08, 12:29
I have just reinstalled my Wacom Pen Tablet (after having Vista) with the latest driver update and I must admit the handwriting recognition works fantastic even with no pre-training at all. No more typing, just writing.

silverfox57
16-Feb-08, 20:33
I have tryed voice recognition. twice for 2weeks gave up .as i think it was software from U. S A, and could make nothing with my caithness way of speaking ,ye ken fit i meem.

scorrie
17-Feb-08, 21:44
I remember watching QVC live a few years ago, when the on-air item was voice recognition software. The company representative was demonstrating how it worked to the presenter Tim. The lady announced into the microphone:-

"Hi Tim, nice to meet you again, have you been on Holiday?"

The text came up on the monitor as:-

"Hi Tim, I hate you, you are horrible!!"

Funnily enough a swift advert followed!!