PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Xmas day dinner.....

orkneylass
19-Dec-07, 18:54
We're doing the obvious thing and having turkey ...anyone having something different (the vegetarians must be!)

unicorn
19-Dec-07, 19:04
Pheasant....

Dadie
19-Dec-07, 20:02
Hubby wanted venison.

I told him it just wasnt right..

who brings the bairns pressies....Santa!

Who pulls Santas sleigh...Reindeer

Yup he still wants to eat Rudolph on Christmas day

(he will be dissapointed with the turkey then)

orkneylass
19-Dec-07, 20:08
Hubby wanted venison.

I told him it just wasnt right..

who brings the bairns pressies....Santa!

Who pulls Santas sleigh...Reindeer

Yup he still wants to eat Rudolph on Christmas day

(he will be dissapointed with the turkey then)

When I was a kid we threw a complete wobbly when Mum said we were having duck for Xmas dinner - we liked feeding the ducks at the pond, we could not eat one! So she gave in and served "brown chicken" instead...we fell for it!

golach
19-Dec-07, 20:10
Mrs G and I are trying Goose for the first time, never tasted one or cooked one before, any help would be greatful :confused

honey
19-Dec-07, 20:13
mum will be cooking a chicken and beef. cant wait. we will still get turkey when we come back down the road on the 28th though. its great, we are basically having 2 christmases!!

northener
19-Dec-07, 20:16
Duck!

I'm not allowed Fish and Chips on Christmas Day:~(

orkneylass
19-Dec-07, 20:19
Mrs G and I are trying Goose for the first time, never tasted one or cooked one before, any help would be greatful :confused

Raise it up off the roasting ban with a rack so that you can collect and save the goose fat - it makes the most amazing roast potatoes and sells in jars as a gourmet food. keep in a jam jar in the freezer cos you'll get loads!

shhwelle
19-Dec-07, 21:29
I'm having a quorn 'chicken style joint'

Gotta say i prefer it to turkey, very tasty :)

karia
19-Dec-07, 22:07
Duck!

I'm not allowed Fish and Chips on Christmas Day:~(

I should think not...

Sheesh..carving the haddock can be a real nightmare!:eek:

karia

Uli
19-Dec-07, 22:12
We have two christmas dinners every year :)

One on christmas eve as that is when sweden celebrates christmas and I always make a traditional swedish christmas dinner cos without it it just wouldn't be christmas.

So on christmas eve we have cured salmon (gravlax) homemade, pickled herring, usually just one kind as only I eat it, a huge ham, meatballs, sausages, and ribs all eaten with boiled potatoes a mayonnaisy fruity salad and ryebread.

for dessert we have either very creamy rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon or swedish cheesecake with jam... or quite often both followed by christmas chocolates of course. I am making myself hungry.

Christmas day we do a traditional turkey dinner as it wouldn't be christmas for husband without it. Only we have both turkey and ham, as that is waht he was used to from home. Thankfully we can use the same ham as the previous day! :D

After that we live on leftovers for a forthnight!

trix
19-Dec-07, 23:04
e auld chile wis tellin me e ither night that wur hevin....

butternut squash an carrot soup, we usually hev neep soup but he's fancyin a chynge (now am wonderin if he got e recipe fie ye hobbies...)

then wur hevin beef wellington...an all e trimmins lekly

an wur feneshin off wi bried an butter puddin...:D

we usually hev, lek a fish dish, or a prawn thing efter e soup but last year efter e dinner we wisna really fit til take drink, all we wanted til do wis sleep...!!! so wur skippin 'at course ss year :lol:

ma 2 brirs are vegetarians so e auld chile hes til tend til them anall...a very busy man he'l be...an il enjoy ivry bite - cheers dad x x

karia
19-Dec-07, 23:08
e auld chile wis tellin me e ither night that wur hevin....

butternut squash an carrot soup, we usually hev neep soup but he's fancyin a chynge (now am wonderin if he got e recipe fie ye hobbies...)

then wur hevin beef wellington...an all e trimmins lekly

an wur feneshin off wi bried an butter puddin...

we usually hev, lek a fish dish, or a prawn thing efter e soup but last year efter e dinner we wisna really fit til take drink, all we wanted til do wis sleep...!!! so wur skippin 'at course ss year :lol:

ma 2 brirs are vegetarians so e auld chile hes til tend til them anall...a very busy man he'l be...an il enjoy ivry bite - cheers dad x x

Sounds grand trix...if ye have space for a wee carnivore at the table , gie's a shout!;)

Kxx

NLP
19-Dec-07, 23:31
I'm having turkey, OH and his mum are having duck, wee one will have a taste of both.

Bobinovich
19-Dec-07, 23:45
We're having beef for Christmas and chicken for New Year. Had turkey last year but found it dry so are back to the old faithfuls again this year.

trix
19-Dec-07, 23:48
Sounds grand trix...if ye have space for a wee carnivore at the table , gie's a shout!;)

Kxx

auld chile bin on e fone Ak - yer more than welcome ;)

hell raizer
19-Dec-07, 23:51
Pheasant and Duck

orkneylass
20-Dec-07, 18:17

One on christmas eve as that is when sweden celebrates christmas and I always make a traditional swedish christmas dinner cos without it it just wouldn't be christmas.

So on christmas eve we have cured salmon (gravlax) homemade, pickled herring, usually just one kind as only I eat it, a huge ham, meatballs, sausages, and ribs all eaten with boiled potatoes a mayonnaisy fruity salad and ryebread.

for dessert we have either very creamy rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon or swedish cheesecake with jam... or quite often both followed by christmas chocolates of course. I am making myself hungry.

Christmas day we do a traditional turkey dinner as it wouldn't be christmas for husband without it. Only we have both turkey and ham, as that is waht he was used to from home. Thankfully we can use the same ham as the previous day! :D

My mother is German so we also have a special cold meal on Xmas eve with special potato salad - cooked potatoes mixed with fried chopped onion and smoked streaky bacon bits, all cooled and mixed with mayonnaise and black pepper - delicious!

NickInTheNorth
20-Dec-07, 18:27
Still got an open mind on the starter.

A very nice rib of beef roasted to perfection, with some beautiful roast potatoes, probably done in olive oil garlic and rosemary. Roast parsnips. Honey glazed carrots. Sprouts (just for me - I love 'em) broccoli and Yorkshire puddings.

Traditional home made Christmas pudding.

Some fruit and cheese for anyone that can still face more food. (

Billy Boy
20-Dec-07, 19:32
sirloin steak, fat homemade chip's, fried mushroom's, and slightly burnt fried onion's. followed by bird's strawberry trifle :Razz ooohhh i can feel the grease running doon ma chin now :lol:

Highland Laddie
20-Dec-07, 19:37
Roasted haunch of venison

Rudolph would never miss it.

floyed
20-Dec-07, 21:25
Where having carrot and orrange soup for starters bairn having fruit salad. Main course turkey crown and all the trimmings, bairn having what every he fancies (probable sausage and mash). Pudding trifle or strawberry pavalova, bairn having chocolate cake and ice cream.:D

northener
20-Dec-07, 22:29

Uli,

I'm coming round your house for Christmas Eve!

paris
20-Dec-07, 22:30
Having just read all your posts im sitting here trying to imagin you all on xmas day munchin away at your lunch/dinner.:lol:
As for the paris household were having beef and pork roasted , garlic roasted spuds, sprouts , honey roast parsnips and glazed carrots, peas, and mashed sweed with butter.
For our pudding its got to be trifle then plenty of alcoholic beverages to wash it all down. :eek:Then a 10 min kip and wake up to the sound of the sweetie tin being fought over !!
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!! JAN X

northener
20-Dec-07, 22:31
I should think not...

Sheesh..carving the haddock can be a real nightmare!:eek:

karia

Yup, wriggle a lot, they do.

horseman
20-Dec-07, 23:31
sirloin steak, fat homemade chip's, fried mushroom's, and slightly burnt fried onion's. followed by bird's strawberry trifle :Razz ooohhh i can feel the grease running doon ma chin now :lol:

Wow, I was thinking Me I would love a smashing big steak with all the trimmings backed up with a trifle (my favourite afters) an you come up with that option.
Can I get an invite to your house? But don't tell mrs h

trix
22-Dec-07, 18:46

never tasted goose?

ye must o hed plenty o ££ when ye wis growin up golach...

i wis brocht up on geese, duck, venison, fish, rabbits - anything i could get ma hands on - literally :lol:

karia
22-Dec-07, 18:49
i wis brocht up on geese, duck, venison, fish, rabbits - anything i could get ma hands on - literally :lol:

I'll bet you had one very nervous hamster trix!;)

karia

golach
25-Dec-07, 21:31
ye must o hed plenty o ££ when ye wis growin up golach...
How do you make that out trix? My father was a farm labourer, we were lucky to be able to afford a bit Boiling Beef.
And the Goose will not be on our menu again, Mrs G and myself were not impressed, every thing else on the golach household dinner was excellent, so that was my learning curve lesson for today........No Goose again....ever.

orkneylass
26-Dec-07, 14:10
We had goose last year and only 1 in 4 of us really liked it - the best bit was the large jar of fat that made excellent roast potatoes for a while. Have a new trick now - 50/50 sunflower oil and walnut oil from Lidl's american food promotion - excellent for roast tatties and parsnips.