PDA

View Full Version : Evacuating Rita

Rheghead
22-Sep-05, 01:16
Hurricane Rita has now gone to category 5 and is now larger than Katrina. I hope people will be ok over there as it is heading for Texas.

I wouldn't like to see another disaster like in N.O.

warrior
22-Sep-05, 02:59
Im in Florida at the moment and they reckon rita is going to lose power as the nite goes on still some damage to be expected though

hereboy
22-Sep-05, 06:51
its going to be a brammer - at the moment I am about 50 miles inland from where its likely to make landfall in Freeport Texas... They are talking about a 20 - 25ft storm surge along the coast east of Freeport - Ouch - Galveston sea wall is 17ft high...

The evacuation here within 10 -15 miles has been well organized and orderly for the most part - all hospitals emptied by this evening (Wed) (probably overcompensating for the Katrina circus) but - the gas stations on all the evacuation routes are running out of gas (petrol)... ahem - slight oversight on someones part and deliveries are a day and a half behind due to some of the tanker drivers evacuating too.

Not a loaf of bread or a battery to be found in the local supermarket... but they did have rubber gloves, colouring books and cat litter - so at least I can amuse myself when the power goes out for a few days.

ho hum...

cullbucket
22-Sep-05, 08:13
See if you can get some pictures, maybe you could hole out in Sherlocks???
Just avoid those vodka jelly shots.....

hereboy
22-Sep-05, 15:54
I'll see if I can get any pictures... if I am brave enough/daft enough to venture over the door - maybe the jelly vodka would help?

marion
25-Sep-05, 16:05
My nephew and family got caught up in the mass exodus from Houston. I guess it was a mess. Turns out that the fury was not as bad as predicted, except in the jammed traffic leaving Houston.