PDA

View Full Version : Withheld mail

Valerie Campbell
19-Dec-07, 17:42
I had never experienced this before, until today. I got my mail delivered along with a 'sorry you were out' card, even though I was in and my bell never rang. I caught the postie and she said there were 2 parcels for me at the sorting office but because her bag was full, she knew she'd never manage to carry them so had written the card at the office that morning. Instead of my mail being delivered by van in the afternoon, it remained at the sorting office. To me this isn't on. I'm pretty sure that it's an offence to withhold mail. I'm just so annoyed! And no, I'm not taking about the posties in Caithness. I can't praise them enough, especially in Watten. It just makes me wonder how often this has happened before but I never realised.

nanoo
19-Dec-07, 17:58
I had never experienced this before, until today. I got my mail delivered along with a 'sorry you were out' card, even though I was in and my bell never rang. I caught the postie and she said there were 2 parcels for me at the sorting office but because her bag was full, she knew she'd never manage to carry them so had written the card at the office that morning. Instead of my mail being delivered by van in the afternoon, it remained at the sorting office. To me this isn't on. I'm pretty sure that it's an offence to withhold mail. I'm just so annoyed! And no, I'm not taking about the posties in Caithness. I can't praise them enough, especially in Watten. It just makes me wonder how often this has happened before but I never realised.
If her bag was so full, why did'nt she ask her supervisor to get the van to deliver the parcels to you? Surely her supervisor would see that she was being truthful and authorise it. That to me would have been the sensible thing to do and you would have gotten your parcels the day you were supposed to. :roll:

badger
19-Dec-07, 18:37
That is completely out of order and you should complain. It's bad enough that letters with insufficient stamps or none at all now have to be collected and a £1 handling fee paid (I don't mind the collecting so much but object to the extra charge). However it really is too much to expect you to collect your own parcels. Whatever next? Supposing you didn't have your own transport and lived miles from a sorting office?

Angela
19-Dec-07, 18:47
Something similar happened to me a couple of months ago. On my birthday I got a card through the letterbox, saying a package was too large to deliver and I would have to arrange for re-delivery.

I was in the house at the time and the postie didn't ring the bell....I did wonder why, but it didn't occur to me that he might never have had the parcel in the first place... :eek:

I arranged to collect it from my local PO -it was meant to take two days, but took five. The postmaster then told me there was often no attempt to deliver some parcels now.

Well -it cost me 50p to collect it -and the sender had paid for first class post! [evil]

changilass
19-Dec-07, 18:51
Phine royal mail, the contract is to deliver to your address not some point inbetween at their choosing. The sender should be able to make a claim.
No wonder folks are choosing other services in the cities[disgust]

neepnipper
19-Dec-07, 22:41
That is completely out of order and you should complain. It's bad enough that letters with insufficient stamps or none at all now have to be collected and a £1 handling fee paid (I don't mind the collecting so much but object to the extra charge). However it really is too much to expect you to collect your own parcels. Whatever next? Supposing you didn't have your own transport and lived miles from a sorting office?

I had a Christmas card delivered yesterday which didn't have a stamp on it, was surprised I didn't have to pay the postage and handling fee. Must have slipped through unnoticed!

trix
19-Dec-07, 22:47
ats terrible valerie, specially at iss time o year. im on tenderhooks waitin for parcels that iv ordered online.
still, at least ye'v got conformation that they have arrived an are safe.

an neepnipper, ye wis lucky, i wis at e sortin office collectin a parcel sent fie a VERY special org pal, an e guy in front o me hed til cough up over 3kwid for a caird that wis posted tilim withoot a stamp :eek:

cuddlepop
19-Dec-07, 23:30
reminds me of the Still Game episode when the postie sneakily tried to put the "your not in ..." card through the door when Jack was in the flat.
Jack open's the door and catches the lazy tike and posties excuse was ,its too heavy.(poilet version);)

Posties are wonderful but actions like your one's give them a bad name.:(

starry
19-Dec-07, 23:33
Surely if Royal Mail has charged to deliver to your address and are then unable to, then you should be able to claim expenses for picking up your parcels.
I would chance my hand and hit them with a bill for mileage.

trix
19-Dec-07, 23:51
I would chance my hand and hit them with a bill for mileage.

on yersel starry :lol:

porshiepoo
20-Dec-07, 00:03
Had this happen too.
I've had a card left to me saying that I have to pick up a packet as there was no one in but I had been in all day and the postie hadn't even attempted to deliver it. [evil]
Another time when I was expecting a small package I saw the postie at the post box near the gate and made my way over. He saw me walking to him and just before I got to him he posted the stuff in the box and carried on up to the next house. He literally ran the mail to the next house and then jumped in the car and sped off.
When I looked in the box he'd left me one of the nice little cards saying I wasn't there to collect the packet so I had to give it an hour before collecting it in person. Charming!

changilass
20-Dec-07, 00:17
In contrast to all the negative, the wee man got a package for his birthday at 11am that had been posted just after 11am the previous day from Edi, so they can do it.

Was very impressed.

Valerie Campbell
20-Dec-07, 13:59
Good news. I got my parcels delivered. That was after I'd gone to the sorting office this morning and was told 'We've lost them,' though. I then got a phone call about half an hour later, 'We've found them.' But at least I have them and I'm happy again.

poppett
20-Dec-07, 14:30
The card delivered instead of the parcel has been known to cause a row in more than one homestead where someone had stayed in to take delivery of a parcel, when partner came home no parcel, just a card, so partner accused of gallivanting!

candyfloss
20-Dec-07, 14:36
We've had the same thing happen to us too,more than once,
a card though the door when i've been in all day,and they don't even ring the door bell, really annonying :roll: