PDA

View Full Version : American Indians in Inverness

porshiepoo
19-Dec-07, 16:19
I was shopping at Inverness last week and must complain about the American Indian group that were singing there. They were so damned good that it kept interupting my shopping :lol:, I was one of the many gormless people stood there listening to them rather than doing what I'd travelled 100 miles or so to do!

Has anyone else heard them? They are seriously amazing. They played the 'Last of the Mohicans' tune - Wow!
I wanted to buy one of their cd's but hubby said not to so I'm hoping that means that he's got me one for xmas cos he never tells me not to buy something!
Fingers crossed!

Billy Boy
19-Dec-07, 17:12
If it was the same American Indians we seen at this years edinburgh festival, they were fantastic :D they relaxed us after some of the sight's we just seen on the royal mile :eek:

oldmarine
19-Dec-07, 17:37
It's good to learn about American Indians (Native Americans) singing in Scotland. I live near the 4-corners area (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado where they all meet at the same point). Many of those Navajo people served as Code Talkers in our various U.S. Marine Corps combat units during WW2 after they devised a code in their own language. The Japanese never did break the code and many believe it made quite a difference toward our winning WW2. Thought I'd add a little input of my knowledge about those great people - Native Americans.

cuddlepop
19-Dec-07, 17:40
I remember they were playing last year and like you i was mesmorised.

They are very good.:D

Jeemag_USA
19-Dec-07, 19:03
Indians and Scots have a very similar tribal system or used to anyway. if anyone is interested in reading a really good book about Scots connections in an indian tribe, go buy the book Glencoe and The Indians by James Hunter its a cracking read that moves from the Glencoe Massacre to the Hudson Bay Company through Scots marriage into Nez Perce indian tribes on to modern day Montana where McDonalds are still on the tribal council.

golach
19-Dec-07, 20:20
If it was the same American Indians we seen at this years edinburgh festival, they were fantastic :D they relaxed us after some of the sight's we just seen on the royal mile :eek:
During the Festival every year we have at least 3 Native?? American bands, even more Peruvian???? bands with their pan pipes, and a couple of alleged authentic??? Scottish Highlander drum bands, I do not know if they are all authentic, but they add a bit of entertainment to the streets of Auld Reekie, and I personally enjoy them

northener
19-Dec-07, 20:23
I was shopping at Inverness last week and must complain about the American Indian group that were singing there. They were so damned good that it kept interupting my shopping :lol:, I was one of the many gormless people stood there listening to them rather than doing what I'd travelled 100 miles or so to do!

Has anyone else heard them? They are seriously amazing. They played the 'Last of the Mohicans' tune - Wow!
I wanted to buy one of their cd's but hubby said not to so I'm hoping that means that he's got me one for xmas cos he never tells me not to buy something!
Fingers crossed!

I wondered why all the Rapsons coaches were in a circle with women and kids in the middle......

doyle
19-Dec-07, 23:54
I saw them in Inverness last year - brilliant! Could have stood and listened to them all day, but like you porshiepoo I had shopping to do! We were down in Inverness 2 weeks ago doing some xmas shopping and stayed the night at one of the travel inns. There was a function on that night in the restaurant and there was a celtic folk band playing called Torridon - they were fantastic! Anyone heard them play? We bought their cd but it certainly doesn't do their music justice, but live they were brill. They are playing at Hootenany's in Inverness on hogmanay if anyone's going down - well worth listening to.

xx_chickie
20-Dec-07, 10:55
They're called Waykis, if it's the same group I saw! I bought one of their CDs - it's brilliant!!

guitarzan
20-Dec-07, 13:45
i'm pretty sure that they've played down here in aberdeen in the precinct - i was the same... just wandering past and got drawn in, really good music - something different from the norm

Jeid
20-Dec-07, 14:54
I think I seen them in Glasgow once upon a time as well... pretty good.