PDA

View Full Version : Houstons chips

watman
21-Sep-05, 20:51
What has happened to houstons chips in wick? I went there a couple of weeks ago with some friends that i had up staying with me from Durham. They were dying to try Houstons fish and chips as it was recommended by a friend of theirs who had been up in Wick and said it was the best fish supper they had ever had. Well they were bitterly disappointed the chips were awful they tasted like they had been lying all day then reheated. They were dry and not even served hot. Come on Houstons get our glorious fish suppers back upto the standard we are used too.

Julia
21-Sep-05, 21:50
I had chips last week and they were awful, I fed them to the birds..!

Whitewater
21-Sep-05, 21:53
Houstons changed hands some time ago and the fish and chips have been crap since then. The best fish and chips in Wick now are from the Harbour fish & chip shop. It also changed hands not too long ago but in this case it was a change for the better. there is always a queue at tea time, but well worth the wait :o)

caithnessvisitor
21-Sep-05, 22:00
What is it with chip shops these days ?
I travel around quite a bit and loads of them seem to have forgotten how to make them.
Some one please post an update when these folks can go back on the 'good list'

Geo
22-Sep-05, 16:37
The best fish and chips in Wick now are from the Harbour fish & chip shop. It also changed hands not too long ago but in this case it was a change for the better.

They could do with upping their portion sizes though. We had chips form there a couple of weeks ago and the portion was well below the top of the small polystyrene tray. I couldn't believe it when I unwrapped it. Some places give you as much with a buttie!

Tymey
22-Sep-05, 16:46
The thing that really winds me up is the number of times I have gone into a chipshop, which is supposed to serve fastfood, only to be told "just waiting on chips...fish....sausages." You'd think at busy times of the day chippies could devise some clever scheme whereby they have sufficient amounts of food available.

cullbucket
22-Sep-05, 16:51
I looked at this thread expecting to see reports about how Houston was going to get hit by hurricane Rita and how it had "had its chips".
Imagine my surprise when I saw the thread was about chippers in Week.
Suppose this is a caithness website after all....
Maybe the harbour chipper has also been taken over by a guy who used to be a chef - like the castletown one.....
What do you call folk that cook in the chippers? Cooks? Fryers? Ex-Chefs.....

I am Etc....

squidge
23-Sep-05, 10:37
Dont they call them chipper mannies?

George Brims
23-Sep-05, 18:36
They used to call him Peachy. Now there was a bloke who knew how to make fish and chips.

Caoran
23-Sep-05, 21:43
:) John Cormack ( sadly, passed away last week ) , Bexley Terrace, was great. He would only serve one at a time, even though the queue was out on the street. His fryer was heated by coal which he stoked in-between serving beautiful fish suppers!