PDA

View Full Version : Politically Acceptable Dancing

Errogie
18-Dec-07, 18:17
I've been told that on a recent visit to a Highland secondary school a tutor from a teacher training college rebuked a P.E. teacher student teacher who was taking one of our well established Christmas term dance classes.

The reason was that the student introduced a dance as the Gay Gordons. Not acceptable, offensive to a significant minority group the student was told. This popular dance should now be known as the Gordon Highlanders.

However the latest directive to student P.E. teachers engaging in the sensitive area of social dances is as follows and I've added a few as well.

Gay Gordons - This title could be offensive to anyone of indeterminate sexuality and should henceforth be known as the Celibate Gordons.

St Bernard's Waltz - quite clearly objectionable to large dogs. Potentially the "Canine Waltz".

Quickstep - Could be difficult for the disabled or handicapped. Renamed "All in your own Time"

Highland Scottische - far too parochial. Now the "Eurohop"

Pride of Erin- In deference to Sinn Fein, retitled "Waltz for a United Ireland"

Eightsome Reel - Could be offensive to people who are uneasy about swapping partners. Now to be known as "Exploration of Group dynamics in an open Social Context".

Strip the Willow. Clearly an invitation to environmental vandalism and fatal damage to woodlands. Henceforth this dance is to be known as "Hug a Rowan"

Military Twostep - Totally objectionable to pacifists. This dance is to be known as the "Peacekeepers Frolic".

Canadian Barn Dance - Unacceptable references to our colonial past and the Highland Clearances causing offence to landowners and the stalwarts of the Countryside Alliance and the Scottish Gamekeepers Association. The evicted Highlanders had no business prospering and building barns let alone staging dances in these structures.
To be renamed "The Harvest thanksgiving to absent Lairds"

Sword Dance - Clearly this could involve gratuitous use of offensive weapons with unfortunate conotations for amputees plus serious Health and Safety implications. Replace swords with two sticks of celery and rename "The Vegan Shuffle"

Dashing White Sergeant - Difficult to accept in a multicultural context, this dance is racist, militaristic and hierarchical and obviously needs to be renamed. Suggestions welcomed.

mccaugm
18-Dec-07, 18:21
I have to give a talk on political correctness later this week....this post has given me loads of "ammunition" to use...thanks.

cuddlepop
18-Dec-07, 18:38
Brilliant Errogie,filed for future reference.:D

unicorn
18-Dec-07, 18:46
Radio one had been bleeping out a word all day in Faitytale in New York but have just isued a statement saying they have made a U turn as it is ridiculous. Well done them, it's the one that rhymes with maggot. This surprised me as there are worse words in it.

Camel Spider
18-Dec-07, 18:52
You really think they would have something better to do wouldnt you ??

Got the right idea though in taking the mickey, its the only way to get past the PC brigade. They have their sense of humour bypassed at birth.

Good job they dont do this dance in the schools .. :eek: .. http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-videos/carolina-shag-introduction.htm

northener
18-Dec-07, 20:58

Got the right idea though in taking the mickey, its the only way to get past the PC brigade. They have their sense of humour bypassed at birth.

Good job they dont do this dance in the schools .. :eek: .. http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-videos/carolina-shag-introduction.htm

Yup, mock the PC brigade openly and very loudly every time they open their senseless traps!

Spidey, that's a cracker of a link! I can have hours of pathetic, juvenile fun with this one:lol:

Julia
18-Dec-07, 21:54
Errogie - did you make those up, they are hilarious! :lol:

connieb19
18-Dec-07, 21:57
They'll be banning the MINCE pies next. :confused

DeHaviLand
18-Dec-07, 22:22

Good job they dont do this dance in the schools .. http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-videos/carolina-shag-introduction.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-videos/carolina-shag-introduction.htm)

And just what were you googling for when you came across this? :confused :lol:

Camel Spider
18-Dec-07, 23:27
And just what were you googling for when you came across this? :lol:

Sorry .. circumstances not that exciting !!

Came to know this dance while on a detatchment to the States a few years ago. Lass just walked up and asked if I would like to *name of dance*, one cultural misunderstanding and sore right cheek and I was a lot wiser !!

I also learned that going into a jazz club and doing impressions of the Jazz guy from the Fast Show works .. until a Brit clues them in .. :eek:

Anne x
19-Dec-07, 01:08
Gosh hated the dance class in my school which replaced PE leading up to xmas parties dreaded who you were partnered with !!!

123 clap out to three
in to the side clap out to 3
then waltz a bit and on we went from there

I learnt the Gay Gordons ,Military 2 step , Dashing White Seargant etc etc along with the rest gosh did it hold my in good steer for later life and no regrets for me !!!be it banned now just like poor Big ears and Noddy now no alllowed to sleep in the same bed banned for kids or Baa black white sheep na disna have the ring to it

mccaugm
19-Dec-07, 10:47
Gosh hated the dance class in my school Golspie Primary class leading up to xmas parties dreaded who you were partnered with !!!

123 clap out to three
in to the side clap out to 3
then waltz a bit and on we went from there

I learnt the Gay Gordons ,Military 2 step , Dashing White Seargant etc etc along with the rest gosh did it hold my in good steer for later life and no regrets for me !!!be it banned now just like poor Big ears and Noddy now no alllowed to sleep in the same bed banned for kids or Baa black white sheep na disna have the ring to it

I hated it, as the teacher was beyond naff with his sticky out bottom. One girl got spun so hard she bounced of a bench and broke her arm.
They also made the girls stand on one side of the room and the boys on the other, we were then picked one by one. HUMILIATION![evil]

Anne x
19-Dec-07, 11:01
I hated it, as the teacher was beyond naff with his sticky out bottom. One girl got spun so hard she bounced of a bench and broke her arm.
They also made the girls stand on one side of the room and the boys on the other, we were then picked one by one. HUMILIATION![evil]

thats the way it was surely all the schools had the same format[lol]

Green_not_greed
19-Dec-07, 13:28
Loved it!

I guess there's no way back for St. Vitus Dance, then?

trinkie
19-Dec-07, 13:34
Errogie.... good thread.
But you forgot Strip the Widow !

Here's a little snippet about the Gay Gordons.....

''On 10 Feb 1794 the King authorised the Duke of Gordon to raise a regiment................the Duke found it difficult to sign up enough men, so the Duchess stepped in.....
By 24 June more than 1,000 men and officers had enlisted. The next day the Duchess's recruits marched through Aberdeen starting the the impressive tradition of the Gordon Highlanders. Always aware of the importance of image, Jane decided that the regiment should wear the Black Watch tartan, but with a yellow stripe added for the GEY GORDONS
( As GEY meant overwhelming of self-importance, perhaps this term suited the recruiter better than the recruits.)''

Trinkie

trinkie
19-Dec-07, 13:42
Scottish dancing has been greatly influenced by French Court Dancing.....so dont forget your Padded Bra when doing the Pas de Bas.

The old ones are the best !!

MadPict
19-Dec-07, 16:00
Funny.

I recall my days in school and the dreaded dancing class - boys and girls on either side of the gym then the rush to pick the girl you fancied...cold and damp hands seems to stick in my mind. Or was that the swimming lessons?.....

oldmarine
19-Dec-07, 17:48
I have to give a talk on political correctness later this week....this post has given me loads of "ammunition" to use...thanks.

I remember many years ago (I am now 82 years old) when the word "gay" had a different meaning. It used to go along with the thought of being happy. Oh, how our English language has taken on different meanings. Political correctness has truly taken over the English language.

JammyDodger69
19-Dec-07, 20:30
PC is getting way outa hand, we're getting too wrapped in cotton wool and having to watch what we say, Dont know about you all but I'm getting a bit fed up with it all.

Tilter
19-Dec-07, 21:40
http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-videos/carolina-shag-introduction.htm

Should be a compulsory dance on next year's Strictly Come Prancing.

Anne x
20-Dec-07, 00:21
Camel Spider you mean The Carolina whatever lol [lol] with Brucie Mmmm

Errogie
20-Dec-07, 15:05
Of course most of us know why sex outwith marriage is frowned upon by elders in some of the more strict churches in the north of Scotland.

Its because they're afraid that it might lead to dancing!