PDA

View Full Version : Pinching Dogs

spiggie
16-Dec-07, 23:30
Having trouble with our doggie, he keeps stealing food from the work tops. I know the easiest solution would be not to leave anything on them but even if you leave the butter tub out he will be off with that too

Does anybody have any suggestions?

cheers :)

unicorn
16-Dec-07, 23:31
Leave out something he really wont like that will taste bad like mustard, it may give him a fast lesson.

spiggie
16-Dec-07, 23:36
i have actually tried that, i soaked three pieces of bread in extra hot tobasco sauce and he ate every piece...? lol

unicorn
16-Dec-07, 23:38
oh boy, thats not good then.:roll:

carasmam
17-Dec-07, 01:09
i have actually tried that, i soaked three pieces of bread in extra hot tobasco sauce and he ate every piece...? lol

Sorry, no advice, but if I see a dog with a bum like Rudolphs nose I'll know it's you spiggie [lol] Wouldn't fancy scooping that one up !!:Razz

emb123
17-Dec-07, 08:50
Sorry, no advice, but if I see a dog with a bum like Rudolphs nose I'll know it's you spiggie [lol] Wouldn't fancy scooping that one up !!:Razz
hehehehe! rofl!
It sounds like the dog is generally being allowed to get away with things. Ideally you need to catch them in the act and then scold them at the time.

If they feel fairly fairly 'top-dog' or 'alpha' then they really need to be reminded that YOU are the alpha or pack-leader and not them. You get to decide what they may or may not do and may ormay not have, not them.

Not necessary to be mean, just to keep them in their place much the same way you would make sure a child knows that you are in charge.

Good luck, especially with trying to keep them away from all the Christmas choccies and goodies!

cuddlepop
17-Dec-07, 09:52
We had this problem with the old dog pinching the young dogs food.
The young dog likes to take her time with her food and would alwas leave some for later.The old dog just will eat and eat and eat.:eek:

We haven't solved the problem but the old dog knows she will be severly told off if she nicks the other's food.

Persevere with the discipline it does work.:D

spiggie
17-Dec-07, 14:59
its quite funny, he knows hes done wrong. As soon as we walk in and discover the empty butter tub he scowers away to his bed with his tail tucked in between his legs and we dont even have to say anything. hes just a brat lol

justine
17-Dec-07, 15:00
Have you ever watched the dog whisperer on sky three at 6pm...He is fantastic..The advise he gives is you have to claim the food that you are leaving out...Place some of his favourite foods of yours on the counter, when he approaches it say leave and walk towards him, make him back away. Keep repeating this until you can leave food on the floor infront of him and he will not touch it..It takes time but it works..I would advise anyone who has problems of any kind to watch the Dog Whisperer with Ceasar Milan..He was brought up wiith dogs and says the way to have a perfect dog is to be calm, and be the pack leader. Many people think they are incharge of the dog but are supprised at the small things we do as owners that confuse our dogs. I have learnt a lot about dogs from watching this and am now a big fan.... He has a dog psycology centre in america,he has 47 dogs of his own, mostly pitbulls, and i have never seen so many calm dogs in my life. he rehabilitates dogs and trains the owner. You can get his book at pets at home , or just watch the programme. Worth the hour..Hope this helps a bit...

By the way it doesnot work all the time, we are trying it with bingo as he is a known bin raider....

dragonfly
17-Dec-07, 18:46
leave a tasty treat out for him and when he goes for it squirt him with a water pistol or a water bottle and a big NO, might need to do it a couple of times but he will soon associate the squirt of water with stealing food and should stop (hopefully!)

lady penelope
17-Dec-07, 23:16
Try a loud uht! or No! every time you see him go near food. Never give him titbits when you are eating. Don't allow him to mooch either and keep him out of the kitchen when food is being prepared and just persevere. He will get the hint sometime. If he doesn't just shut him away from the food permenantly ;)

Rheghead
18-Dec-07, 17:35
Try a loud uht! or No! every time you see him go near food. Never give him titbits when you are eating. Don't allow him to mooch either and keep him out of the kitchen when food is being prepared and just persevere. He will get the hint sometime. If he doesn't just shut him away from the food permenantly ;)

I'd say that is the best way if there is unity from everyone in the house all the time. It is hopeless to try anything like that in our house.

lady penelope
18-Dec-07, 22:33
Our dog is too busy eating the bunny's poo to worry about mooching or stealing food! He has been taught since we got him not to steal and even after he has been told 'uht' or 'no' he will stop eating. Cake is his downfall but dogs can have heart attacks and be obese so human food is no good for them. Why spend all that money on expensive dog food if you are going to let them eat junk! Dogs need telling, just like men, no means no![lol]

unicorn
18-Dec-07, 22:36
ah so mine aint the only bunny poo muncher ewww, I have to watch mine like a hawk as her alergies flare if she eats any bunny poo,,, odd animal :eek:

lady penelope
18-Dec-07, 23:07
Jaq doesn't seem to have any problems with poppets poo. It just makes me feel sick and annoys the rabbit cos he shoves her run to get to it![smirk]

spiggie
18-Dec-07, 23:17
The dog we had before micky used to eat the kittens poo from the litter tray - how nice :)

lady penelope
19-Dec-07, 22:09
Stealing food off the worktops doesn't seem so bad now![smirk]:lol:

cuddlepop
19-Dec-07, 23:24
Apparently if you sprinkle pepper onto their nose he'll get the message.

Just cant guarantee when he'll stop sneezing.:lol:

porshiepoo
19-Dec-07, 23:52
A family dog that feels he is 'leader' of the pack will search for and take food for himself as that is his job as pack leader. A follower waits for the food to be provided for them.
You should be able to leave food around without fear that your dog will steal it so you probably need to go back to basics with everything, not just the food issue.
Preparing your dogs food and then leaving it on the side whilst your family eats and then feeding the dog when you've finished is one thing to try - leaders always get to eat first.
When feeding your dog don't allow him to jump in until you tell him he can have it, in other words you have to control when he does and doesn't eat as that is what the leader does.
There are many ways to help with this issue and as someone has already pointed out perhaps Cesar Millan, he could help you to spot other problem areas that are exacerbating the food issue.

Good Luck.