PDA

View Full Version : robbers...

trix
16-Dec-07, 20:49
just got a ma daily fone call fie e auld chile an he's tellin me that he went oot til e shed iss mornin an noticed that a case o lager an a half bottle o whisky hes bin nicked...!

e dowg wis actin strange at some point durin e nite an ats fit it must o bin.

e whisky bin lyin ayre since new year, auld chile locked himsel oot e hoose so retired til e shed wi his bottle til e mornin, only til find that he wisna really locked oot at all :lol:

needless til say he's feelin abit violated tho, so, if any one wants til celebrate this season o goodwill, feel free til donate some lager til e auld bie ;)

karia
16-Dec-07, 20:56
.e whisky bin lyin ayre since new year, auld chile locked himsel oot e hoose so retired til e shed wi his bottle til e mornin, only til find that he wisna really locked oot at all

Am sure that he's gonna love you for this trix!:D

All donations are on there way................;)!

Kariaxx

golach
16-Dec-07, 20:57
just got a ma daily fone call fie e auld chile an he's tellin me that he went oot til e shed iss mornin an noticed that a case o lager an a half bottle o whisky hes bin nicked...!

e whisky bin lyin ayre since new year, auld chile locked himsel oot e hoose so retired til e shed wi his bottle til e mornin, only til find that he wisna really locked oot at all :lol:

needless til say he's feelin abit violated tho, so, if any one wants til celebrate this season o goodwill, feel free til donate some lager til e auld bie
If I could understand what you are saying trix, then maybe I could be of some help:(

horseman
16-Dec-07, 20:59
Thanks for the vernacular trix,cheered me up no end;)

karia
16-Dec-07, 21:07
Thanks for the vernacular trix,cheered me up no end;)

Indeed horseman...makes perfect sense to me!:D

Kariaxx

trix
16-Dec-07, 22:16
If I could understand what you are saying trix, then maybe I could be of some help

am sure if ye stretched yer mind just a teenie weenie bitty? yer a caithness man arent ye? :Razz

on e risk o soundin stupid try readin it oot loud??

or if ye cana be bothered wi all at, what am really askin for is ££s so i can buy e auld chile some lager til put at sweet smile back on his face.

i could just gie ye ma bank details an be done wi it.....:lol:

merry christmas

bluelady
16-Dec-07, 23:17
well i'm not Caithness born and bred but I must have been here long enough, I understood every word [lol]

hobbes1962
16-Dec-07, 23:19
If I could understand what you are saying trix, then maybe I could be of some help:(

I'm with Golach on this - please don't type the way you speak:eek:

karia
16-Dec-07, 23:22
I'm with Golach on this - please don't type the way you speak

It's a Caithness site and that's the way she speaks!:eek:

I am from Central scotland and have no problems with it..how should she type? and for who?:confused

karia

hobbes1962
16-Dec-07, 23:26
It's a Caithness site and that's the way she speaks!:eek:

I am from Central scotland and have no problems with it..how should she type? and for who?:confused

karia

The main point of these message boards is to make your point understood. So why go out of your way to minimise your chances of being understood?

unicorn
16-Dec-07, 23:28
I must say I probably give more attention to posts by trix as I actually have to take the extra time to read them properly.

Julia
16-Dec-07, 23:33
Well I'm Caithnessian and must admit that I have to read your posts a couple of times to get the jist of what you are trying to say, surely it's harder for you to type it spelt that way as opposed to normal english? No offence but I do think your point would be taken more seriously if some orgers could understand what you are trying to say.

karia
16-Dec-07, 23:38
The main point of these message is to make your point understood. So why go out of your way to minimise your chances of being understood?

It is a caithness site and she is speaking the vernacular and doing her bit to keep the dialect going..surely it is up to the rest of us (visitors!) to respect the lingo and those who choose to perpetrate it for future generations!:confused

I am happy to learn!:D

Karia

hobbes1962
16-Dec-07, 23:44
It is a caithness site and she is speaking the vernacular and doing her bit to keep the dialect going..surely it is up to the rest of us (visitors!) to respect the lingo and those who choose to perpetrate it for future generations!:confused

I am happy to learn!:D

Karia

I'm from Caithness and respect the local dialect however, this is a public messageboard which is accessed worldwide and not everyone can understand it.

trix
16-Dec-07, 23:47
im fluent in caithness dialect an fluent in e queens english - weel, most o e time :roll:

an am happy til write iss way, it isna harder for me, it comes natural an am happy wi e responses that i get.

ye da hev til read them if ye da want til (or cana manage)...:Razz

karia
16-Dec-07, 23:50
I'm from Caithness and respect the local dialect however, this is a public messageboard which is accessed worldwide and not everyone can understand it.

As it is a showcase for caithness then it provides an excellent opportunity for them to learn. I wouldn't expect to log on Gdansk.org and expect anything but Polish!:roll:

Karia

Angela
16-Dec-07, 23:59
Trix, I'm Caithness bred, I do read your posts out loud, and that way I can understand them, but for lots of folk they must be very difficult, if not impossible, to follow. Is that what you want? Wouldn't you rather people could understand you more easily? :confused :confused

Munro
17-Dec-07, 00:00
I come from deepest Sussex and think the letter is great just wish the Org.
was an Audio medium as well, seriously had to read it several times to get the whole story but still great. I am told that I have no particular dialect which is a shame as I am Sussex born and raised and always lived within 3 miles of birthplace

karia
17-Dec-07, 00:06
Trix, I'm Caithness bred, I do read your posts out loud, and that way I can understand them, but for lots of folk they must be very difficult, if not impossible, to follow. Is that what you want? Wouldn't you rather people could understand you more easily? :confused

With respect Angela..should she 'anglify' her posts for better understanding?

If so..would we be understanding what she meant?:confused

Karia

Angela
17-Dec-07, 00:18
With respect Angela..should she 'anglify' her posts for better understanding?

If so..would we be understanding what she meant?

Karia

Well...why not? :confused It would be doing us a kindness!

Most people switch quite happily between dialect and standard English and when they're chatting to folk who can't easily follow the dialect, they'll use standard English.

I'm fine with Caithness dialect spoken, but written it can be a lot harder to understand. :(

Oddquine
17-Dec-07, 00:20
I think the way trix writes is great.....and I can't see why anyone has problems with reading it.

lynne duncan
17-Dec-07, 00:27
dinna ken fit thur moaining aboot it wisnae herd tae read and it is a caithness site ifter aah if it wis gaelic they wid be grumping if we didnae use it, keep at it trix and did e auld chile get his dram, wish audio was available then e crack wid be even better

golach
17-Dec-07, 01:23
am sure if ye stretched yer mind just a teenie weenie bitty? yer a caithness man arent ye? :Razz
on e risk o soundin stupid try readin it oot loud??
merry christmas
No way trix, could I stretch my mind or venacular to sound like you, but a Merry Xmas anyway

DeHaviLand
17-Dec-07, 01:50
Well, im not from Caithness and I can understand it. Damn, I've spent too much time in Wick. Trix gets my approval, for what its worth.

Sporran
17-Dec-07, 04:24
Some o' ye fowk hev bin pickin' on trix
Her writin' ye want her til fix
I hope ye'll listen til me
I say let 'e lassagie be
She's teachin' us 'e Kaitness vernacular
An' her efforts are quite spectacular
'e lassagie writes as she speaks
An' she's proud o' 'e fact she's fae Week!

floyed
17-Dec-07, 10:36
I say let 'e lassagie be

Love the poem its great. You go Trix i luv reading your posts:lol:

Angela
17-Dec-07, 10:58
Och, trix you just carry on - it's me that needs to try harder......

I was having a grumpy day yesterday :roll: - and I'm probably overdue a visit to Caithness to get my dialect ear re-adjusted! :D

Dynamic Sounds
17-Dec-07, 11:15
im fluent in caithness dialect an fluent in e queens english - weel, most o e time :roll:

Um, the only time I spoke to you face to face you would have made little sense in either of those! Mind you, you were, i believe the polite phrase is, MERRY lol

johno
17-Dec-07, 11:19
och ah dinna ken fit ah a bother wis aboot ah cood read et joost fine masel. [lol]

wifie
17-Dec-07, 12:37
Man 'is is Caithness.org is hid no!

unicorn
17-Dec-07, 13:55
ah dinna really ken fit all e fuss is aboot

young_fishin_neep
17-Dec-07, 16:21
keep eh speekin lek is, ah ev till say am no as bad as sum o use folk but i get telt of if ah speek to much lek is :(

so i genrally type like this on here and save the caithness speak for ma friends

kazii xxxxx

floyed
17-Dec-07, 16:25
keep eh speekin lek is, ah ev till say am no as bad as sum o use folk but i get telt of if ah speek to much lek is :(

so i genrally type like this on here and save the caithness speak for ma friends

kazii xxxxx

very gud:lol:

Dog-eared
17-Dec-07, 16:26
Johno -- Hids a sorto meedle sized ane. Ids a black ane too. No much good for E rabbads yet tho. :lol:

Highland Lass
17-Dec-07, 16:33
Hi Golach you from thurso and canna understand,keep up good work think its great that people text as they speak.i have children from england and they can understand it,me brought up on it.

Thomas Farmer
17-Dec-07, 17:47
A hev a cuzzin in e USA an she demands a write ma emails in dialect, in fact she hez started replyin till me in dialect,
She'll be delighted wie iss posts, she micht reply hersel

johno
17-Dec-07, 17:49
och weel dogeared yeel jis hae ta get anither ane, mibbey a hound or wan o a jack russells. ah herd them wis affy gud in a rabbit holls wi a ferret an a net.eh

Errogie
17-Dec-07, 18:07
Trix, jist keep yer hauns jigging awiey on e owld keyboardie. 'At sort o' messagie aboot e' mannie in yer life widna be e ' same wi' oot it.

Pey no heed til' e fusome horny Golach he's jist a grumpy chiel 'at thinks he owns e' Org.

brandy
17-Dec-07, 18:11
ok i can understand most of that *laughs* but there are still some things i dont have a clue about!

jimbews
17-Dec-07, 18:26
I say let 'e lassagie be

I'll second that.

Personally I had no problems in spite of having moved away over 40 years ago.

Surely this is what the site should be all about: the local community.

airdlass
17-Dec-07, 18:31
I love reading the caithness dialect - almost as much as listening to it. Brings back some lovely memories.
Keep it up Trix!:D

Dog-eared
17-Dec-07, 18:40
Ahm choost efter teachin the other half that loch is loch an no lock.
She's fae London and didnae know any better.
Also taught her to say " doug " properly - not "dog " or "doog " !!

unicorn
17-Dec-07, 18:53
here hids a dowg no a doug :Razz

young_fishin_neep
17-Dec-07, 18:58
Johno -- Hids a sorto meedle sized ane. Ids a black ane too. No much good for E rabbads yet tho. :lol:

Geet yersel a GSD ma wan catchees skinz n eats em fur ye, no trainin involved ah can tel ye at fur sure!

kazzii xxxx

floyed
17-Dec-07, 19:23
What have you done Trix, you have sent them all caithness dialect mad its very funny :D

trix
17-Dec-07, 19:34
What have you done Trix, you have sent them all caithness dialect mad its very funny

i ken floyed, im delited wi all e support, speshly e poem...what talent!!

il keep it up for all ye's dialect luvers an e rest...weel, its just lek ye said dowg-lugd - they cin kiss ma erse....:Razz[lol]

helenwyler
17-Dec-07, 19:55
Ah ken fit yer on aboot trix, but ah'm too skint til send the auld chile any lager:).

*Ahem*...I say, this is a darned good sherry ;)!

floyed
17-Dec-07, 19:56

il keep it up for all ye's dialect luvers an e rest...weel, its just lek ye said dowg-lugd - they cin kiss ma erse....
[lol]

Hahahahahaha:D

hotrod4
17-Dec-07, 20:28
Theres a load o mannies and wifies on here takin in right broad caithness twang,long may it continue :)

golach
17-Dec-07, 20:43
I find it very funny that out of 53 posts on trix's thread about an old man who has had his wee stash stolen, very few have offered to help. Instead have chosen to chastise me, for my inability to understand Trix.
I have never critisised Trix, or the Kaitness tongue in anyway, infact I have a copy of "Castlegreen's" Tatties an' Herreen' sitting by my left hand as I type.
So Dog -eared may I suggest that you can go and kiss mine [lol]

Camel Spider
17-Dec-07, 20:52
Im slightly concerned about the amount of people in Caithness who seem to want their behinds kissed.

Is there some kind of localised fetish scene those of us outside Caithness should know about ??

floyed
17-Dec-07, 21:02
Im slightly concerned about the amount of people in Caithness who seem to want their behinds kissed.

Is there some kind of localised fetish scene those of us outside Caithness should know about ??

Hahaha this post is getting better and better, i never said i wanted mine kissed but what the hell kiss mine to:lol:

karia
17-Dec-07, 21:05

As an ootsider, I'd hev til ask..fit way is that wrang?:roll::lol:

Kariaxx

hotrod4
17-Dec-07, 21:05
Maybe its a caithness variation of a "glesga kiss" ????????

percy toboggan
17-Dec-07, 23:05
I'm a Mancunian and I knew what she was on aboot.
Dunna tek much effort, an' any rord , I quite like dialectical typing now and again.

Camel Spider
17-Dec-07, 23:34
Hahaha this post is getting better and better, i never said i wanted mine kissed but what the hell kiss mine to:lol:

Yer reet dirtee divant ya knaa !!

Sorry. I have been out of Caithness so long my attempt at the accent has come out a bit Geordie .. Bonnie Lad.

Shameful really as I am a dirtee weeker.

Hang on .. :roll:

johno
17-Dec-07, 23:38
Ah ken fit yer on aboot trix, but ah'm too skint til send the auld chile any lager

*Ahem*...I say, this is a darned good sherry ;)!
Heer Helen did ye no ken at ye can brew yur ain lager withoot gettin inty any trouble noo an ets far better stuff an ah, An far chieper but yeev got tay wait till ets right fermented or et,ll mak ye blin. :eek:

helenwyler
18-Dec-07, 02:28
Heer Helen did ye no ken at ye can brew yur ain lager withoot gettin inty any trouble noo an ets far better stuff an ah, An far chieper but yeev got tay wait till ets right fermented or et,ll mak ye blin.

Aye johno - mebbe ye cin brew yur ain lager...but all ay cin brew is a gud cuppa tee:(!

If ah send ye a poond, cud ye pass on a pint til trix's auld chile?

Send yer bank details by pm;)!

horseman
27-Apr-08, 21:56

il keep it up for all ye's dialect luvers an e rest...weel, its just lek ye said dowg-lugd - they cin kiss ma erse....:Razz[lol]
just catchin up on posts---magic.(wisna allowed a smiley)

the_count
27-Apr-08, 22:05
OK i deffo been here too long lol (4 years) cos i had no problem with reading it either lol :lol:

karia
27-Apr-08, 22:14
OK i deffo been here too long lol (4 years) cos i had no problem with reading it either lol :lol:

Exactly!..Our trix is a wonderful reminder of the dialect and those who complain that they cannae understand her...:roll:!

Neil Howie
27-Apr-08, 22:27
Just don't be talkin any G-A-E-L-I-C an yu'll be fine,

Metalattakk
28-Apr-08, 02:32
Exactly!..Our trix is a wonderful reminder of the dialect and those who complain that they cannae understand her...:roll:!

'Your trix' is a wonderful reminder that local dialect shouldn't be written exactly as it is spoken, much like English in fact.

The words are well documented, and the spellings are widely available. There's no excuse for making her posts ever-more difficult to understand.

In other news:
I notice Karia, that you use the Central Belt 'cannae' in place of the Kaitness 'canna'. Now, why would that be?

Kevin Milkins
28-Apr-08, 02:48
I followed the thread from the start and as a trix fan the only word that stood out as one that I dont get is ,Chile?

Metalattakk
28-Apr-08, 03:17
Pronounced 'cheel', spelt in recognised Caithness dialect as 'chiel'.

Definition: noun; Person. (m).

(P.S. Rebuttals and corrections more than welcome. ;))

karia
28-Apr-08, 12:20
'

In other news:
I notice Karia, that you use the Central Belt 'cannae' in place of the Kaitness 'canna'. Now, why would that be?

I use them both..'cannae' because I am in the central belt and 'canna' because I am on a caithness website.....or sometimes because I 'canna' be bothered tae add the 'e;)

I use 'can't' when I am between here and there..and 'won't' when being wilful!:lol:

TBH
28-Apr-08, 22:50

;)Are ye plannin' on takin' e' dowg till an A.A meeting?

dirdyweeker
28-Apr-08, 22:59
good on you Trix. Your original post might have gotten a wee bit lost but it has all given me a good giggle reading all the other attempts at the dialect. It is Caithness, it is how we speak (or should!) and it is great to read it.
Keep it going...............:lol:

jings00
28-Apr-08, 23:34
on yersel Trix, keep hid cumman :-)

trix
29-Apr-08, 01:00
cheers guys...i hed a richt laff masel readin oer'ed....

gled til see ye'v checked in wi us efter such a long time horseman ;)