PDA

View Full Version : Butternut Squash And Carrot Soup

hobbes1962
16-Dec-07, 10:16
I made this soup last night and it was so easy and, even if I do say so myself, it was delicious. We had it with tiger bread rolls that I had bought from Tescos.

Butternut Squash and Carrot soup

The baking of these vegetables brings out the sweetness of the squash and the wonderful flavour of the vegetables.

Ingredients
1 butternut squash
1 red onion (chopped)
2 shallots (chopped)
2 medium carrots (chopped)
1 red pepper
1 small / medium potato (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons smoked pimento / paprika (optional)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 vegetable stock cube (preferably organic)
500ml water

Method
• Cube the squash. Put on a baking tray, sprinkle with sesame oil and cumin seeds and smoked pimento, if used.
• Bake in a preheated oven (180c) for approx 15 – 20 mins, until squash starts to go soft.
• Put chopped red onion, shallots and red pepper in an ovenproof dish with the cloves of garlic (left whole) and the balsamic vinegar.
• Bake in oven with the squash and also leave until soft.
• Put 500ml boiling water into a big pan and add the stock cube, chopped carrots and potatoes. Bring back to the boil.
• Add the squash and baked vegetables to the pan. Simmer gently until the potato and carrots start to disintegrate. Add more water if needed.
• Remove from heat. When cooled liquidise until smooth.
• For serving add yoghurt or fromage frais and freshly baked granary bread.
• This is a very thick creamy yellow/gold soup that can be thinned down with vegetable stock if necessary.
• This soup freezes well. Pumpkin can be used instead of squash, if available.

Moira
23-Dec-07, 00:25
Thanks hobbes1962. I'd always wondered what to do with the wonderful butternut squashes I see in Tescos.

I made this soup tonight though I cheated and used cumin powder instead of the seeds. There is no mention of seasoning in the recipe. I added a few pinches of salt and a load of freshly ground black pepper to the pot, before it tasted right for me.

Hubby remarked that it reminded him of my Carrot & Coriander but was even better. I guess that has to be a hit :D

hobbes1962
23-Dec-07, 16:41
I cheated and used cumin powder instead of the seeds. There is no mention of seasoning in the recipe. I added a few pinches of salt and a load of freshly ground black pepper to the pot, before it tasted right for me.:D

I didn't have any cumin seeds either when I made it so I used black mustard seeds instead.

Recipies are there to be adapted is what I say:Razz

nicnic74
30-Dec-07, 17:58
Gonna a try making this soup the morn for new year,
as it sounds really nice, got all ingredients fae tesco
e day.
I am totally useless at making soup so hopefully it turns
out ok
I will let u's ken how i get on
Hopefully i will be very:) with it

hobbes1962
31-Dec-07, 13:56
Gonna a try making this soup the morn for new year,
as it sounds really nice, got all ingredients fae tesco
e day.
I am totally useless at making soup so hopefully it turns
out ok
I will let u's ken how i get on
Hopefully i will be very:) with it

Trust me, you can't make a mess of it. soups are the easiest thing to make - it'll be just the thing to warm the cockles on New Years Day!

nicnic74
04-Jan-08, 21:42
Made the soup & gods know's what i did wrong but it just didnt turn out e way that i thought it would, even the kids who normally eat anything wernt overly keen on it,
the only soup that i can make that i ken the kids & i will eat is mince soup & it always turns out lovely so i think i will hav to stick to making it.
Infact i think i will go & make a pan o it in a moment as just thinking about it is making me feel a bit peckish