PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

connieb19
14-Dec-07, 13:16
I wonder if anyone can help. I've received a letter from Red Debt Collection Services asking for a payment of £482.96. It's quite a threatening letter, saying they'll take me to court if I don't pay up. It turns out it was passed to them from Singlepoint who phoned me in 2002 and offered me a mobile phone. I have never received a phone from Singlepoint.
I phoned Red who said I need to prove I never had or used a phone. How do you prove you didn't have something. Surely its up to them to prove I did. Anyway, I phoned CAB who said as Singlepoint broke the contract by not sending me the phone that they were not entitled to an payment.
I've phoned Singlepoint, been passed around five different people and departments but they have no details of an account for me.
I phoned Red back saying Singlepoint have no record of me, they say they must because my details were sent onto them but as a goodwill gesture they would accept £241 if I paid in full today. I refused but I'm nearly tearing my hair out as to what to do next.
I'm not going to pay £241 for something I've never received but how on earth do you prove you've not received something?

Dman
14-Dec-07, 13:27
Hi Connieb19,
I'm afraid I would not pay a penny to anybody without any written proof and verification of who they are and even with that I would have them checked out by trading standards, in fact it might be a good idea to give trading standards a call and ask them if they can check them out, they are very good, their no is 01463 228701, I find it very strange that this company drops the amount to half price so easily, that alone would make me very suspicious, good luck hope you manage to get this sorted it's not very nice there's a lot of vultures out there especially at this time of year.

karia
14-Dec-07, 13:33
Sounds like they are just chancing their luck Connie, they don't have anything on you and are just hoping that they will scare a response out of you.

If they genuinely had a case you can bet they wouldn't be offering to accept half the amount as a goodwill gesture....debt companies aren't known for their goodwill!

You have been to CAB and so I would say forget them or challenge them to bring it on and then forget them and have a good Christmas....you won't be seeing the inside of a courtroom on this.

Karia

Billy Boy
14-Dec-07, 13:37
connie if you google {Red Debt Collection Services } you will get a comsumer action group web site and there is a forum on there where people have been receiving the same kids of letters as you, maybe you could get some advise on where to go from there, worth a look anyway lol.

Highland Lass
14-Dec-07, 13:44
I wonder if anyone can help. I've received a letter from Red Debt Collection Services asking for a payment of £482.96. It's quite a threatening letter, saying they'll take me to court if I don't pay up. It turns out it was passed to them from Singlepoint who phoned me in 2002 and offered me a mobile phone. I have never received a phone from Singlepoint.
I phoned Red who said I need to prove I never had or used a phone. How do you prove you didn't have something. Surely its up to them to prove I did. Anyway, I phoned CAB who said as Singlepoint broke the contract by not sending me the phone that they were not entitled to an payment.
I've phoned Singlepoint, been passed around five different people and departments but they have no details of an account for me.
I phoned Red back saying Singlepoint have no record of me, they say they must because my details were sent onto them but as a goodwill gesture they would accept £241 if I paid in full today. I refused but I'm nearly tearing my hair out as to what to do next.
I'm not going to pay £241 for something I've never received but how on earth do you prove you've not received something?
Hi CONNIE
If i was in your place i would drop a line to them saying i am getting in touch with my mp to look into it.the best mp i know of is john thurso,he has helped me out with a lot,they act quick.

thebigman
14-Dec-07, 13:48
I would get in touch with Trading Standards for advice - http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/highland/consumer.htm

connieb19
14-Dec-07, 13:50
Thanks folks, I've just phoned Trading Standards, who were very helpful. They've told me that offering to half the amount is not logical for a debt collection agency. They've said to write to them, recorded delivery, asking them to provide details of the contract within 7 days. He's also told me that in Scotland companies have 5 years to persue a debt and as this is December, if there was a debt there it should have either expired by now or is very close to expirng had the contract been in December. I think I'll write to Red now and see what response I get. Thanks again. :)

Margaret M.
14-Dec-07, 14:21
Good luck with it, Connie, how aggravating. It sounds fishy so hopefully a strongly worded letter will settle it.

Scunner
14-Dec-07, 14:24
Use recorded delivery for your letter, as proof of posting.

bluelady
14-Dec-07, 14:41
Was the phone sent through the post? if so and never you or no one in your household has signed for it, then there is not a thing they can do. If they said they sent it, them tell them to take it up with their delivery agent who should have obtained a signiture. Do not pay for anything because as soon as you do, they will take that as you have it. Also when you phone them again, ask them to send you the address of the ombudsman as you are going to get in touch with them. If they dont send it or tell you over the phone, PM me and I will give you the one I got, they are down in London. Good Luck

Dman
14-Dec-07, 14:44
Well done Connie don't let them get you down,have a nice xmas.

Julia
14-Dec-07, 14:50
I was going to suggest trading standards, my friend received a similar bill last week and they gave her the same advice, don't pay it, they are chancers!

scorrie
14-Dec-07, 15:40
Thanks folks, I've just phoned Trading Standards, who were very helpful. They've told me that offering to half the amount is not logical for a debt collection agency. They've said to write to them, recorded delivery, asking them to provide details of the contract within 7 days. He's also told me that in Scotland companies have 5 years to persue a debt and as this is December, if there was a debt there it should have either expired by now or is very close to expirng had the contract been in December. I think I'll write to Red now and see what response I get. Thanks again. :)

I would have thought that offering to take less in settlement was suspicious. However, I watched a documentary about debt collectors on the BBC, and the guys collecting the debt DID offer to take less for an immediate settlement of the debt. Personally speaking I would not pay a penny. If these guys are chancing their hand, they won't go as far as bringing it to court. I would tell them the matter is in the hands of YOUR solicitor and see if that shuts them up.

Mik.M.
14-Dec-07, 16:30
Connie, have you tried Watchdog? You can find them on bbc.co.uk. It`s worth a try aswell as Trading Standards. Mik

EDDIE
14-Dec-07, 17:14
If i was u i would try not to solve this over the phone ure better doing everthing in writing or by email so u have everthing down in writing
Email Singlepoint again and ask the same question again and if they reply with the same comment theres your first part of proof

The letters you get of a debt collector are standard threating letters it s not that u have to worry about its when they keep adding interest charges on it as time goes by to the point were it is worth taking u to court plus they could get u a bad credit rating through no fault of your own if i was u i wouldnt ignore it because the problem wont go away

Camel Spider
14-Dec-07, 17:44
Hope you get it sorted out Connie. If they eventually admit that there is no bill to be paid I would write to them asking for compensation for your phone calls and unnecessary worry because of their actions. Looks like they were just chancing as surely immediately agreeing to accept 50% of the bill is a bit sucpicious ??

My brother did wrote to one organisation who pursued him (case of mistaken identity) and got a written apology and £10 !!, not much but it got him a few drinks on them.

cuddlepop
14-Dec-07, 18:02
Connie the CAB are brilliant at sorting these things out.

Thats what they're there for.This company will take a different attitude when they get involved.

Dont stress yourself out pass it over.:D

DeHaviLand
14-Dec-07, 22:50
No-one should think that this company dropping the requested amount by 50% is suspicious in any way. These companies buy your debt from the companies who have supplied goods/credit. They will buy this debt for 10 - 25% of the original debt, so getting a quick settlement for a 50% reduction still represents a tidy profit for them.

ywindythesecond
14-Dec-07, 23:38

Connie, I think do nothing. This is a scam. A company that waits five years to chase up a bad debt went out of business four and a half years ago. If they are serious about taking you to court, they have to go through a process, and if it does happen, then you will have time to think what to do next.

Bet you a bottle of my favourite tipple that this just fizzles out.

PM me for my address to deliver it.
ywy2

domino
22-Dec-07, 21:26
Connie
a wee note to theJudge in the Sunday Mail may just do the trick.
The best of luck

htwood
23-Dec-07, 20:00
No-one should think that this company dropping the requested amount by 50% is suspicious in any way. These companies buy your debt from the companies who have supplied goods/credit. They will buy this debt for 10 - 25% of the original debt, so getting a quick settlement for a 50% reduction still represents a tidy profit for them.

That's exactly what I was going to post. They would still make a profit.
No more phoning, everything in writing. They must prove you had a contract and rec'd the phone.

So write that letter, send it recorded delivery and FoGeddaBoudit until after the holidays. -H