PDA

View Full Version : Try This! Date this satellite picture of Thurso!

theone
14-Dec-07, 00:51
Go to http://www.flashearth.com/

Click on "Microsoft VE" (the best for Thurso) then try to identify the date.

Should be fun.

By the way, I don't know the answer!

theone
14-Dec-07, 00:56
Cemetery bridge is still there.

Dynamic Sounds
14-Dec-07, 01:26
From the houses in West Gills, I'd say summer 2004.

Metalattakk
14-Dec-07, 01:35
Yep, I'd agree with 2004. The house I now live in is in the process of being built in the image, and that would date it around summer 2004.

hotrod4
14-Dec-07, 07:51
Quite a clear image.
The one that always makes me laugh is the the big "A" Anarchy sign at Wick airport!
Wonder what the "A" could stand for? ;)

Sairheed
14-Dec-07, 08:07
Definitely before November 2007 because you can't see the Tesco sign.

Mr_Me19
14-Dec-07, 09:01
Well its before August 2004 because we haven't got our current car and after August 2003 because of the buildings at the High School.

rockchick
14-Dec-07, 13:43
It's before April 2004 because the previous owner's playground equipment is still in our garden.

Julia
14-Dec-07, 15:54
I can't manage to view much, I try to zoom in but get no entry signs!

William
14-Dec-07, 17:07
I can't manage to view much, I try to zoom in but get no entry signs!

You need to click on the microsoft ve bit to get the pictures.

I'd say it was spring time as there are no caravans or tents in thurso caravan park and the feild in castletown has young growth in it, ormlie motors or (mrm) is still open

Rheghead
14-Dec-07, 19:51
Go to http://www.flashearth.com/

Off topic, but I didn't know Green land was bigger than Africa?

davem
14-Dec-07, 21:32
No Greenland is tiny, but very nice to be in.

George Brims
15-Dec-07, 01:30
Off topic, but I didn't know Green land was bigger than Africa?
It isn't. The maps are on a Mercator projection, which exaggerates the size of things further away from the equator. As Maggie Scott, my old WHS Geography teacher used to point out, they have stretched the N and S poles, which are each a point, into lines the same length as the equator.

Moi x
15-Dec-07, 01:54
Greenland may come out too big but Antarctica is plain ridiculous. No wonder they cut it off near the coast on most maps.

Moi x

Ricco
15-Dec-07, 10:12
Definately after my time in Thurso. There are a whole mass of new bldgs at Thurso High, and the railway cottages have gone to make way for a largish house.

Penelope Pitstop
15-Dec-07, 14:07
This is great. Unfortunately I've spent so much time having a wee mossie around this that no house work has been done - but hey it can wait!!

I notice that the flagstone Thurso sign isn't there just when coming into Thurso from Wick (before park hotel). Also it can't be the height of summer as Dunnet and Thurso caravan sites are pretty empty.

Must have been taken during the week as our cars are away from the house!!

poppett
15-Dec-07, 17:41
Autumn 2004 as our big blue van was parked outside the old family homestead. Only had it for three months to do some "flitting" for folk, then sold it around Christmas time.