PDA

View Full Version : Wick: internet cafe or similar ??

emb123
13-Dec-07, 21:32
Following endless fun getting broadband here in Bettyhill I'm about to move to Wick, and in-line with the spirit of British Beaurocracy, between them Virgin Multimedia and BT despite having been given the stated required 14 days notice have managed to mess up to the extent that I will be without internet over christmas and new year :( Grump, grump grump.

(.....because it takes so many working days to do one part of the job, then that needs to be processed through the system, then the other companies system needs to be notified and they then need to schedule engineers to do something else, and there are bank holidays etc etc etc).

Anyhow... :)

Does anyone know if there is an internet cafe in Wick and if so what the rates are and if one is allowed to use ones own laptop, or perhaps the local library might have something similar. I can understand that they'll be closed over christmas and new year, but it would be nice to keep in touch the rest of the time at broadband speeds until the BT Marx and Virgin Marx Brothers sort their act out!

Many thanks!
P.S. if I go quiet after posting this, please understand..... LOL

cuddlepop
13-Dec-07, 21:40
Its usually library's that have internet access.

Poor you,what a christmas present no internet connection:~(

Good luck on your move emb123

karia
13-Dec-07, 21:43
Yeah! :D

Good luck emb..may your move be all you want it to be and more!

Karia

emb123
13-Dec-07, 21:52
Thank you! - I'm looking forward to being near to shops and facilities again it'll be nice - also it will much easier to keep warm and that is a major bonus!

I'll will definitely miss Bettyhill something terrible too though, it really is wonderful out here in the wilderness!

Thanks again for all the good wishes :)

Margaret M.
13-Dec-07, 22:47
Unless things have changed since I was there this summer, there is no Internet cafe. The library has a number of PC's available and I don't remember if there is a charge or not -- I don't think there was but there is a time limit.

emb123
13-Dec-07, 23:53
Unless things have changed since I was there this summer, there is no Internet cafe. The library has a number of PC's available and I don't remember if there is a charge or not -- I don't think there was but there is a time limit.
Thanks Margaret :) I did a hunt online and there is supposedly Cafe Net 102, High Street, but I don't remember spotting it when I was there yesterday so that is probably old data Google has dredged up from somewhere.
Will try the library. Kind wishes E.

DeHaviLand
14-Dec-07, 00:00
Cafe net shut down just over a year ago.

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Dec-07, 02:22
There is a BT Openzone (FON users) area down by Wick harbour - which is useful if you have a wireless laptop - you could sit in the harbour cafe and use it.

Metalattakk
14-Dec-07, 02:47
The library has a number of PC's available and I don't remember if there is a charge or not -- I don't think there was but there is a time limit.

If you want to use the library's PCs, you'll have to create a library membership before they'll let you use their equipment. There is no charge, and it is time limited (I think you even had to book the session before-hand) but the time limit is dependant on how busy the booking schedule is.

At least, this was the case in Thurso library a couple of years ago.

hotrod4
14-Dec-07, 07:40
If you want to use the library's PCs, you'll have to create a library membership before they'll let you use their equipment. There is no charge, and it is time limited (I think you even had to book the session before-hand) but the time limit is dependant on how busy the booking schedule is.

At least, this was the case in Thurso library a couple of years ago.

Think thats still the case as some tourists came into my shop the other day and I advised them the same, hope were both right!!! :)

nicnak
14-Dec-07, 17:29
Hi Wetherspoons in the square have wifi, simply buy something and they will give you a code for 30mins free and if you want more buy something else and they will give you another code. Apparently the cheapest drink is either a small coffee or a lime and soda!
hope this helps

emb123
14-Dec-07, 23:02
thanks for all the info folks very helpful indeed! Seems like I have a few options - been meaning to check out the Wetherspoons for a while anyway :)

The FON option sounds a neat idea although unfortunately I'm a Virginmedia broadband customer so I'd have to pay silly money. (£6 hour).

I'm online now via BT Yahoo Dialup anytime which is not too bad speedwise I suppose for web browsing and email at least. I did a bit of digging and it's not bad for the first month which is only £1 and you dial a freephone number to go online - I think I can manage a £1 bill! I like the fact that there is no contract and only 1 days' notice required from me to cancel. Will certainly get me out of a fix until the broadband gets switched over.

Just starting to try and sort out the chaos in the new place. Have managed to clear enough boxes now to leave enough room for somewhere to sleep :)