PDA

View Full Version : email alert via london

paris
13-Dec-07, 09:47
I had an email from a good friend who works in london about a new craze thats going on and thought i would share it with you all.
There are some new "gangs "appearing in london and alot of the big cities where to join , the new member must drive about with no lights on and the first person to flash them or tell them they have no lights gets followed and shot at ! This email came via the midlands ambulance service and all drivers have been told NOT to take notice to avoid confrontation. Several people have already become victims. Jan x

floyed
13-Dec-07, 10:25
That's terrible, they must be complete nutters!!

NickInTheNorth
13-Dec-07, 10:32
I had an email from a good friend who works in london about a new craze thats going on and thought i would share it with you all.
There are some new "gangs "appearing in london and alot of the big cities where to join , the new member must drive about with no lights on and the first person to flash them or tell them they have no lights gets followed and shot at ! This email came via the midlands ambulance service and all drivers have been told NOT to take notice to avoid confrontation. Several people have already become victims. Jan x

That one has been doing the rounds since at least 1993, and possibly the early 1980's. Always good to run that kind of thing through the search at http://www.snopes.com

The headlights out history can be read here (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp)

lazytown
13-Dec-07, 10:42

Did they not also do this in the movie Urban Legends?

NickInTheNorth
13-Dec-07, 10:45
Did they not also do this in the movie Urban Legends?

Certainly did - this urban legend was the basis for the film!

Ash
13-Dec-07, 10:45
yeah i remember seeing that in the movie urban legends

its awful

paris
13-Dec-07, 10:48
I only got it today so didnt know it had been around for a while.WHOOPS !! JAN X

bluelady
13-Dec-07, 11:34
I remember seeing that in the film, but I dinnae ken it actually went on . I dont read daily papers and dinnae often watch e news so thanks for that.

NickInTheNorth
13-Dec-07, 11:41
I remember seeing that in the film, but I dinnae ken it actually went on . I dont read daily papers and dinnae often watch e news so thanks for that.

It doesn't actually go on. It is an urban myth!!! :roll:

Margaret M.
13-Dec-07, 15:21
It's amazing how this tripe just keeps on circulating. Snopes is the first place I go when I get one of these chain emails -- nine point nine times out of ten it is a hoax. It just takes a few seconds to type in a few keywords in the search field on snopes.com to determine if the warning is bogus. This gang/headlight hoax made the rounds here several years ago.

It's a bunch of nonsense, feel free to flash your lights!!

poppett
13-Dec-07, 15:44
Thank goodness we are in orgland and not London then. I followed a car on Traill street last night who had no nights on....after he almost knocked down two folk who had not seen him.........I gave him the big flash, so did the car coming towards him, but he just cut across his bows down Mansons lane. As I passed the junction the cars coming up the land had all flashed at him, but he took no heed. Suppose we are all lucky not to be dead then......lucky escape.

Julia
13-Dec-07, 16:52
Thank goodness we are in orgland and not London then. I followed a car on Traill street last night who had no nights on....after he almost knocked down two folk who had not seen him.........I gave him the big flash, so did the car coming towards him, but he just cut across his bows down Mansons lane. As I passed the junction the cars coming up the land had all flashed at him, but he took no heed. Suppose we are all lucky not to be dead then......lucky escape.

It's not true about being shot at for flashing your lights, the story Paris is referring to is a hoax! ;)