PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate warning

Liz
12-Dec-07, 23:38
Chocolate ornaments dangling on a Christmas tree are a naughty lure to humans but for any nosy pooch it could be a fatal temptation. Large quantities can bring on epileptic seizures and in the worst cases death.
The chemicals theobromine and caffeine that are found in chocolate can have a dangerous affect on our pets’ digestive system. While humans have the metabolism to cope with the chemicals all animals, especially dogs, do not. You can spot the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your dog; hyperactivity, agitation, breathlessness, vomiting, diarrhoea and increased urination.
There are higher levels of Theobromine in dark and more posh chocolates and even a small amount can be harmful, especially smaller dogs like Chihuahuas - which owner's seem to treat even more!
Katy Horton, Vet at Vet's on White Hart Lane comments, "Pet owners often forget the hazardous aspects of the festive season. Dangers include chocolate decorations and edible presents wrapped under the tree. Avoid overfeeding your pet at Christmas, especially Christmas day leftovers, it is detrimental to their digestive system. Sharp fish and poultry bones can block your dog's throat. In the past we’ve treated pets for chocolate poisoning; there are always more cases of this over Christmas and Easter.
"If you know your dog has eaten chocolates don't wait for the symptoms to develop. Take them to the vet immediately where they can be treated."
A spokesperson from the Veterinary Poisons Information service commented, "In 2006 the VPIS (a service based within Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust) in London received 790 telephone enquiries concerning chocolate (theobromine) poisoning in dogs, and was the most common enquiry received by the VPIS. This year alone we have already received over 844 enquiries, and expect an increase in call load over the next few weeks."
Chris Jones, Director of PetClub UK says, "Just don't do it! If you absolutely have to feed chocolate, feed the doggy kind. These are generally completely safe. However, even better, don't feed any chocolate, give your dog a good bone or rawhide chew. This will keep them occupied for far longer and give their teeth and gums a good workout in the process."

I know that most of you will know that chocolate is potentially fatal to dogs but just thought I would post this warning in case there is someone who doesn't know this and with all the choccys around at Christmas everyone needs to be on their guard.

carasmam
13-Dec-07, 00:32
Good thinking Liz. I had heard that raisins were poisonous too but wasn't sure if it was a myth or not, sooo I did a search and came up with this... http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/caring/index.html

I notice mistletoe and poinsettas are on the list as well, appropriate for this time of year.

Wellies
13-Dec-07, 10:08
We lost a dog almost exactly two years ago due to him eating chocolate. He had managed to get into a room where we had made up a hamper for a christmas present without us realising until the next day when it was to late. He had a massive seizure right infront of me and was dead within about 20 seconds. It was horrible and I felt so guilty. So please everyone take notice and please be careful. I would hate this to happen to anyone else.

carasmam
13-Dec-07, 10:33
That is so sad wellies :~(
We had a dog that ate a big chocolate Easter bunny, tin foil the lot, when I was a bairn. Luckily she was sick and must have got rid of it all. We were more careful after that too.
When I was looking for the raisin thing I found a bit saying coffee and caffeine is toxic to dogs. Cara finishes off my coffee most times :eek: may have a Jack Russell rattling from withdrawl symptoms now !!

Liz
13-Dec-07, 15:07
Sorry about your dog Wellies. That must have been awful to witness!:(

How is Cara doing on her caffeine withdrawal Carasmam?!She'll have a headache poor wee soul. Better switch to decaff!

It is a good job I don't eat chocs as Benjy is such a scrounger! His nose is always to the ground and he'll even eat bits of paper!:eek:
He's eaten socks in the past and thankfully they came out of the other end whole! (no pun intended!)

I think I should change his name to Hoover or Dyson!

Julia
18-Dec-07, 19:48
Grapes are also toxic for dogs, my pug used to love grapes but once I read that she got no more although she still died of renal failure which is apparently the affect of eating lots of grapes/raisins/sultanas. I honestly don't think it was the grapes that were to blame though as she only got one or two at any given time and certainly not regularly.

Onions in any form – raw, cooked or dried – are also toxic for dogs. A chemical found in onions causes a dog’s red blood cells to weaken and rupture, which in turn leads to anaemia. The more onion a dog eats, the more serious the effect. Signs of onion toxicity generally appear several days after the onion was eaten. Garlic is safe for dogs in moderation.

carasmam
18-Dec-07, 22:46
It is strange, isn't it, how a dogs organs cant cope with some foods yet we can. Grapes and raisins are sweet and tasty so I can see how a dog would enjoy them. As for onions, Cara wont take a titbit from your hand if you've been cooking and she gets a whiff of onion off it [lol]

cuddlepop
18-Dec-07, 22:59
Thanks for the reminder Liz.Our dog's just love chocolate but its only the doggie drops for them.:D
I throw out fruit loaf for the dog's and the wee one's forever hovering it up,never realised they couldn't have raisins.etc

apparently human chocolate has a similar reaction in horses.:(